+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Crossfire, Motherboard and GPU Temp issues

So I bought another Sapphire 6970 yesterday to crossfire in my rig, but a weird issue has come up.

Motherboard:
    http://i47.tinypic.com/208wjmx.jpg

Link to my MB Manual: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...emeZ/#download

Reading through the MB manual, it states that the recommended lane usage to use dual VGA is PCIe x16/8_1 slot and PCIe x8_3 slot.

I had it configured like that when I first installed the card. However, after booting my computer up I immediately noticed that the cooling fan on the second 6970 (inserted into the PCIe x8_3 slot) I had purchased was on what I believe 100% fan speed. Weird. When Windows booted up, there was no CrossfireX option in CCC so I booted into BIOS and noticed that it wasn't even detecting the second 6970 I had installed.

I tried every slot possible on the motherboard and the only one that works in crossfire is PCIe x16/8_1 slot and PCIe x16_2 slot. The only thing is, especially with the size of these 6970s, that they are extremely close together, maybe 1/2 an inch apart. As long as it worked I didn't really care all that much.

Booted into Windows, everything was gravy. I then started watching my GPU temps. The top card idles anywhere from 46-53C, a good 5-10C more then the bottom card. I started Furmark and the highest the top card got to was 81C, while the bottom one was floating around 73C.

The temps are a little to high for my liking and I would like to know why I can't use the manufacturers recommended PCIe lane usage. Obviously if they did, I believe that the airflow would be a bit better and could possibly drop my temps a little. Maybe I'm just being anal.

Any ideas?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Your slot issue intrigues me more than the temps, it seems that might be a software or recognition issue.

Temps though I thought in a normal upright configuration that the top card is always a few degrees hotter due to the rising heat but I don't really have experience with sli/xfire so I guess until someone more experienced comes along take that with a grain of salt.

Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

Yeah up to about 10c more on the top card is normal. Are you manually adjusting fan speeds also? I'm using a set of 6870s and they'll hover around 80-85 on automatic settings and the fan speeds pretty much never break 30%, manually setting it 40-50% practically guarantees sub-75 degree temperatures/

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Yeah up to about 10c more on the top card is normal. Are you manually adjusting fan speeds also? I'm using a set of 6870s and they'll hover around 80-85 on automatic settings and the fan speeds pretty much never break 30%, manually setting it 40-50% practically guarantees sub-75 degree temperatures/
    Yeah, I'm using MSI Afterburner with custom fan speeds.

Also, I figured out the issue. Apparently my mobo has switches that turn on/off PCIe bridges (was this shit necessary?) that I never saw. Just so happens that 3/4 were switched off for whatever reason. Got it setup on 1/3 bridges and my GPUs haven't broken 75C yet.

Thanks for the tips you two.