Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scholar 1-37?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Scholar 1-37?

What are the best zones to solo/duo SCH1-37? I really rather not party if I can help it and I'd like to get /sch up to subjob speed as quickly as possable as SMN is the only job I play and lord knows it's gonna be a flood for it. Also best sub, food, etc?

Re: Scholar 1-37?

KI's BLM section has a good solo guide I think, let me find a link.

http://www.killingifrit.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=143894

If you're wanting to duo to 37, my advice is to stick to fighting worms....that's the best route to go with any job.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Scorsese
    If you're wanting to duo to 37, my advice is to stick to fighting worms....that's the best route to go with any job.
    QFT.

Starter zones to 10ish > Konschtat/Gustaberg_S worms to mid teens > Shakrami/Korroloka worms to early twenties > Qufim worms to mid-twenties (and BST Gigas pets there). The levels you can get from each zone vary depending on your gear/merits and duo buddy.

If you have a friend (or an account you can dualbox) who's willing to help even with a DD job, ask them to be your bodyguard and do worms in Gusgen mines to early 30s. Nobody normally kills them otherwise because they're surrounded by undead and slimes. Goblin bees in Yhoator are also an excellent target, again if you can get some help you can go camp at the spot that's crowded by other bees just near the zoneline (bit north from where all the normal XP parties are). You can't solo there because the normal bees would link to gob's bee and kick your ass (but goblin's bee will not link to normal bees), so if someone kills normal bees you can keep killing the gob's bee for lovely XP. There's another camp spot in Yhoator that's completely safe for goblin bees but as it's listed in every BLM solo guide, it's almost always taken.

If you go to a solo spot listed in BLM guides, set your comment to say you're there please!

I subbed /BLM on SCH all the way on the early levels, the first MAB from /10BLM is sexy when you're nuking. Cookies/Melon Pie+1s for food, couple of jugs of selbina milk saved me from being Rasp'ed to death a few times in Korroloka.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... m=7;page=1

lol alla, but:

I think this has been done in other locations (I think there was a KI thread), but we don't really have one here. SCH is weaker melee-wise than other mage jobs (C+ ranking as the highest? Blech. Even SMN and BLM have some B's) and doesn't get DoTs, so it's a challenge.

SCH doesn't feel to be an 'easy' solo job like BLM or BLU (both of which I soloed to 75), but it also seems doable. Because SCH doesn't get 'stops' like Gravity or Bind innately, I've stayed to easy to control worms. Goblin Pets might also be an option starting at 24 (due to Utsu), but I'm only 25 now and don't have any experience with the Raunguemont Pass goblin -- nor do I want to. If I were to solo past 37, I probably would try to /NIN Goblin Pets.

1-12 Any mobs, near city zones
    Outside any city, eat some meat jerky, get your highest DPS pole (That's Ash Pole for quite awhile) and kill EPs, DCs, and EMs as fast as you can with Signet on. Gelong Staff at 10 will slightly better if you have it. I'd sub BLU starting at 8 if you don't have /PUP or /BST, because Foot Kick is a decent damage spell at low levels (even subbed), and Sprout Smack is really effective against worms.

Once you get to 11 or 12, you can head to the past for awhile.

12-16 Tunnel Worms in Gustaberg [S]
    You can put Sigil on with Refresh and Regen (really powerful at low levels), and go slaughter Tunnel Worms just outside of Bastok [S] in North Gustaberg [S]. I subbed BLU, hit them with Sprout Smack, and whacked away with an Ash Pole until 15 (where I switched to a Bastokan Staff). I was still using Meat Jerky for food. The most annoying thing will be getting hit by Attack Down (Gastric Bomb), but it can't really be helped. If you're ok with the exp dropping once all the worms turn to DCs, you can keep going to 16 or even 17.

16-20 Stone Eaters in Gustaberg [S]
    Take the outpost teleport to Gustaberg [S], and there's a lot of Stone Eaters located right near the outpost. There's some Goblins wandering around, so be careful. At this point, mobs took too long to melee it out with, so I started subbing /RDM (/WHM will do also), and was using Rolanberry Pies. With full INT gear (Erudite Headband, 2x Knowledge Rings swapped in, +1 Wand), I was able to use Light Arts to cast Barstone on myself, and switch to Dark Arts to nuke down a Stone Eater using a full MP pool. If I couldn't finish it off, and wasn't Rasped (Rasp is very annoying) I would Dia the worm and rest a few ticks and then finish it. You still have Refresh and possibly Regen too, so you can alternately switch to a Staff and charge the worm and whack it to death, or you can just wait for your MP to refill. It's worth it to use your big MP spells at the beginning to knock yourself down to < 50 % MP to kick in Refresh. Also, use Parsimony for your biggest MP spell every 4 minutes (Aero, probably -- Blizzard later).

19-22 Gigas Leeches in Qufim (Goblin Pet -- from shiznitxx)
    I find soloing Gigas's Leeches in Qufim to be easier and better XP then worms from lvl 19-22. Chain4's are easy to reach and usually 2-3 nukes kills them. Plus no annoying rasp. Try those instead of the worms.

20-22 Land Worms in Korroloka Tunnel
    I went to Korroloka tunnel, which is practically always camped. You no longer have the benefit of Sigil Refresh, so you can either bring some drinks or charge worms you can't finish off with your staff. Keep your INT up as high as you can gear wise, and invest in some hmp gear too (Pilgrim's Tunica / Baron's Slops / Mohbwa Sash / Pilgrim's Wand ). You won't be able to kill fast enough to Experience Chain if you're solo, but it will get the job done.

22-26 Land Worms in Qufim Island
    Same strategy here for these land worms, be careful aggroing Wights at night.
    At 24, I swapped to /NIN to protect myself against Rasp, but unfortunately SCH doesn't have a DoT spell innately; if you take this strategy over staying /WHM or /RDM, make sure your MP pool is healthy enough to finish off worms handily. Astral Rings will help a lot if you're rich or fortunate enough to already have them.

27-30 Abyss Worms in Maze of Shakrami.
    There's not many of these, but the camp is pretty far away also. You want to go to point G on the Somepage map, and there are 2 clusters of 3-4 worms in that little cross like area. These link and also cast Stoneskin, so you may need some juices or a DoT spell (with /WHM or /RDM over /NIN). SCH doesn't get any great tricks up its sleeve from 25-30, so you just have to work at it.

30-35 Flesh Eaters in Attowha Chasm
    Careful for the Air Elemental that pops; Sneak past the Hecteyes and find lone worms if possible (these link also), and get to it. If the Air Elemental pops due to the frequent windy weather in the zone, just go to the other side of the chasm. If the Air Elemental doesn't have direct 'line of sight' (that means the pit will protect you), casting magic won't make you aggro it.

That's it for now. Further soloing, as I said above, would probably include Goblin pets -- as worms start to become harder to find (though there are Rock Eaters in the old world also in N. Gusta and Grauberg in the 30s), and at least harder to kill.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Priphea
    Careful for the Air Elemental that pops; Sneak past the Hecteyes and find lone worms if possible (these link also), and get to it. If the Air Elemental pops due to the frequent windy weather in the zone, just go to the other side of the chasm. If the Air Elemental doesn't have direct 'line of sight' (that means the pit will protect you), casting magic won't make you aggro it.
    did SE remove the exp penalty for flesh eater if you in party to kill it? I remembered that it yield less exp than solo it you are in party to kill it in long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Osede
    did SE remove the exp penalty for flesh eater if you in party to kill it? I remembered that it yield less exp than solo it you are in party to kill it in long time ago.
    It's not an exp penalty, it's a lack of signet-xp-bonus for parties between 2 and 5 members.
    The same applies to hippogryphs.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

There's some in North Gustaberg [S] that I did the last two levels to 37 (on the way to Palb mines). They were only EP-DCs though, so it wasn't fast.

I'm not sure what level SCH gets Conserve MP, but that should make it somewhat easier to do higher level worms now in addition to the other buffs the job got.

GL!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I just hit 20 , I did the old school 1-10 with a pole and bashed mobs, then i went to Sandy[s] and did worms for 2 levels then i went to bastok[s] and did worms outside the starter town up till level 18 will be slow in a duo though, i then did the ones at the gustaburg[s] outpost till 20 they rasp a lot and it's very annoying at 1st you might need to sj WHM to dia so you keep them claimed why you wait for refresh to give enough xp to finish them off.

you can do worms northwest of the big stinging sophie hill in n.gusta_s from about 29/30 - 33ish, then switch the worms in the south of grauberg til 34 or 35.

At that point you can do worms in the first ravine/bridge area in attohwa until 35ish, if these are too easy you can head up to the boneyard zone or the middle ravines for slightly more difficult ones.

From 36 to 37 you can conceivably do leech pets at the zitah outpost, but meh.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

There's some pretty good info here. I wish I knew more [S] lvl'n spots.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I find soloing Gigas's Leeches in Qufim to be easier and better XP then worms from lvl 19-22. Chain4's are easy to reach and usually 2-3 nukes kills them. Plus no annoying rasp. Try those instead of the worms.
    I tried this a few weeks ago @ 19SCH and got fucking owned by the leech, killed me in like 3-4 hits before I could nuke it down, interrupted my casts...and aside from that, where is a good spot to even do the leeches? I was trying the hall SW of the main entrance tunnel, but I know from past experience that the spot gets overrun w/ skeles at night, and in front of the tower has too many leeches to make pulling safe, anyone have suggestions on how/where to actually pull of XP at this camp?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Soda Pop
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto
    I tried this a few weeks ago @ 19SCH and got fucking owned by the leech, killed me in like 3-4 hits before I could nuke it down, interrupted my casts...and aside from that, where is a good spot to even do the leeches? I was trying the hall SW of the main entrance tunnel, but I know from past experience that the spot gets overrun w/ skeles at night, and in front of the tower has too many leeches to make pulling safe, anyone have suggestions on how/where to actually pull of XP at this camp?
    Just tried this at 19SCH with some success. I was at (H-8), near the bottom left corner where there are sometimes Thunder Elementals . Get Regen up (every little bit helps in keeping you alive), put on Dark Arts, then pull with a Parsimony'd Fire (no Blizzard at 19, I'll definitely start pulling with it once I get it), then run a little, then alternate between Aero and Fire till the leech is dead. I had to time the castings so that they wouldn't be interrupted by the leech's melee hits. I did get unlucky with chain resists a couple of times leading to death, but they were 240-300exp a pop with Empress, cushioning the blow somewhat. Then it was all ended when a random 30WAR strolled in and killed my Gigas.

Back on topic, I think adding in a Bind somewhere might make it easier to survive too, but I don't know how easily Bind breaks at this level.

Edited to add: Another BST Gigas popped; I'm thinking it could be a non-shuffling PH like how the upper level Lower Delkfutt's Gigas are. Upon my killing of the first summoned Leech, the Gigas was killed by a 32SAM. /rant and /shutdown

Edited again: Giant Ascetic popped in it's place. So pray those soloers don't touch your BST.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia
    If you have a friend (or an account you can dualbox) who's willing to help even with a DD job, ask them to be your bodyguard and do worms in Gusgen mines to early 30s. Nobody normally kills them otherwise because they're surrounded by undead and slimes.
    Where are the worms exactly? I ask because I'm a lazy prick who doesn't want to risk death/10-30 minutes running around.

The Rock Eaters in North Gustaberg [S] (NW of Zegham Hill) are VT-IT to Lv28 DNC, so they're out of range until 30 for most jobs solo. They hit me for 40-70 on average.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo
    The Rock Eaters in North Gustaberg [S] (NW of Zegham Hill) are VT-IT to Lv28 DNC, so they're out of range until 30 for most jobs solo. They hit me for 40-70 on average.
    Hmm, I know where my L30 THF is leveling up next. Marksmanship THF/RNG FTW.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia
    If you have a friend (or an account you can dualbox) who's willing to help even with a DD job, ask them to be your bodyguard and do worms in Gusgen mines to early 30s. Nobody normally kills them otherwise because they're surrounded by undead and slimes.
    Where are the worms exactly? I ask because I'm a lazy prick who doesn't want to risk death/10-30 minutes running around.

Worms in Gusgen are in several locations, the spot where I've been to usually is H-7 on the second map. On the first map run straight ahead to the room with the three doors, take the middle door (marked B on Atlas map) and run through that and down the stairs till you get to the big room in the bottom. Haven't been there in a couple of months so my memory is a bit hazy but there's a couple of slimes and 6ish worms iirc. Even matches/Toughs in the late 20s.

I am a Cockwhistle
    BG Level

For my SCH, so far it's been:

Lv.1-10: Same old, South Gustaberg.

Lv.11-14: North Gustaberg [S] on the worms just outside town, and a bit to the North. Probably need some HP Regen drinks or something if you have no PL. I used Yagudos non stop, didn't take very long.

Lv.15-17: King Ranperre's Tomb, there are some VTish Worms, have to travel a bit to get there though. Bats pop at night, and there were some Goblins around as well.

Lv.18-20: North Gustaberg [S], near the OP, Worms again. Same old Yagudos + Regen drink, if you don't have a PL.

Lv.21-22: I dunno, can probably still kill worms for like 90-110XP a pop, I just used my PL to spam cures and I nuked Lizard's dead in North Gustaberg [S]

Lv.23-26: Like in the BLM Soloing Guide, Raunguemont Pass, Goblin's Bat.

Lv.27-29: Yhoator Jungle, Goblin's Bee, same as BLM soloing guide.

Lv.30-31: BLM solo guide spot again, in Bibiki Bay, Goblin's Rabbit.

Lv.32-35: BLM solo guide wins again, Beaucedine, either near the camp, or at I-9, Rime Gigas' Tiger. The camp near the OP generally has folk running by, and I wouldn't use it much, since people randomly came by and killed my Gigas either to farm, or for no appearently reason, and the I-9 camp just seemed better, though people still ran by.

Lv.36-37: Haven't done it yet, was intending to go to Zitah and kill gob pets there as well.

I've been doing all of this 2boxing a WHM75 PL, so some spots you might want to carry some Regen Drinks. I almost always had enough MP to chain the pets up to Chain #4, after which the repop took to long to get Chain #5.

If anyone has any better upcoming camps in WotG areas, or alternatives, let me know please And remember, if you're soloing pets, please put it in your /seacom.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Lil' more info. Buddy says there's about 10 worms at the Gustaberg zone line in Grauberg. Said 33-37, but 33 was rough on his DNC.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Zi'Tah seemed to get bad after about level 35. I was there from about 32-35 a few months ago when I was doing my SAM (w/PL), and I remember at that level things start checking DC. I used FFXI Atlas's bestiary and went to East Altep for 35-37. North of the outpost, there's sort of an aclove with a BST and spider pet nearby. It's relatively safe, though there is a manticore that occasionally wanders nearby, and a skeleton at night. I haven't tried it without a PL so I can't say how safe it is without one, though.

Probably could do those spiders at least to 38-39 if I wanted.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Don't need to sub ninja btw, I silence the worms and dispel Stoneskin and put a dia on if i need to rest