Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

That's their whole business. I bought a Canon printer last summer and about a estimated year's supply of ink was more than the printer itself.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Brother Laser Printer. I rarely use it and I have not changed the laser cartridge in years.

Fuck color printing. Biggest scam ever.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Not HP. Never HP.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/1...e-your-printer

From everything I just looked up. Get out of ink, and into toner. Get a laser printer.

Would love to go back to laser, but covid etc still need color for daughter's school sometimes.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

If you're not doing photo quality prints, laser. I stand by Brother.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    From everything I just looked up. Get out of ink, and into toner. Get a laser printer.
    How are they for seldom use? Main pet peeve I have with ink printers in general is the cartridge printhead always gets dry by the time I actually need to use it, and then it's an hour of soaking the thing in alcohol and wiping it down, hoping it prints evenly.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

I've used 2 HP's at home recently and been using 1 Brother in the office. HP ink printer was full of problems especially with alignment so I replaced it with a laser one last year. No problems so far.

And B&W laser Brother...I think dad was using it some 10+ years ago, then I took it and still using it. No problems, never required service, prints fast and neat.

So +1 for Brother and +1 for laser if you are not printing photo.

If you want to print photos, buy a separate photo printer. Small Canon Selphy 1200 are pretty good for everyday use.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

+1 to black and white lasers

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2...dp/B00NQ1CLTI/

cheap AF and reliable

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I just bought a printer after weeks of research.

You need color, but do you need photo color or high end/nicer color? How often do you print? How often do you print color?

The best brands are Brother, HP, Canon, Epson.

If you use color often and need better color or even photo, ecotank and those refillable inks are probably for you. Inkjets for a lot of color. If you're not printing more than a few pages of color a month then the ink will dry out in inkjets and ecotanks and you will be spending more on ink. That's their money maker it's like videogames the money is in the software that's why they sell consoles at a loss or close too it.

Laser is your best bet if you don't print often enough or if you print a ton of black and white. You'll spend more up-front, you'll spend more on replacement toner, but it lasts 1500+ pages. It can also sit for like 5 years without being used. Their color is just fine but not as high quality.

Rtings.com actually ranks printers by their ink costs if you know where to look. Brother usually wins this category, but my last inkjet printer was a brother and I felt like the guys in office space when I finally threw it out. Typically brother is heralded as the best but not for me.

If you use 3rd party cheaper ink the printer will fail sooner. Some brands chip their ink now so you have to use their brand as well.

I went with an hp due to the price/feature point. Laser color with auto feed tray and duplex printing. $319. The toner is 55-60 each but it came with a standard black 1500pg and half colors 750pg. That will last me years probably lol.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Seconding brother laser b/w. Bought one last year, so not a long period of time, but it suits my needs perfectly. (Infrequent printing)

If you need to do color, there's the more expensive laser printers that do color, but they're a lot bulkier.

If, however, you're trying to do like photos and shit, you need proper color accuracy, you're going to want ink and you're gonna get fucked by ink costs. (If it's infrequent, you could always just go print at Walgreens or some shit)

BG Level

The worst thing about my Brother laser printer was updating the printer's firmware when it wouldn't connect to a Windows 10 machine. Annoyed the hell out of me that I had to break out a Win7 laptop to get it operational. Otherwise works well for my infrequent printing and scanning and extremely rare fax needs.

Black and white - every school day
    Color - occasionally on school days(lets call it once a week)
    other wise random black and white printing
    never picture accurate printing needed
    scanning on occasion

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I use the Canon Pixma for photo prints and a regular HP inject for all other docs.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Black and white - every school day
    Color - occasionally on school days(lets call it once a week)
    other wise random black and white printing
    never picture accurate printing needed
    scanning on occasion
    I got a Brother HLL2390DW, highly recommend for all B&W and scanning needs.

No comment on color. You could try one of the color lasers, but they're a good bit bulkier since the toners are pretty big, and a good deal more expensive too, but would probably fit your needs.

Or you could just grab a cheap color printer and just use that. idk, printers suck. /shrug

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Echoing others, the simple answer is don't buy an inkjet. They're typically the way you need to go if what you want are photo prints, but for day-to-day printing a laser/LED printer is better. While a basic black and white one is perfect for what many people need, color lasers are pretty feasible too. Brother is usually the best value, but most/all of the major brands have color multifunction laser printers around $300 these days. The trick may be finding them at MSRP due to COVID (look on B&H or something, not Amazon).

I picked up a Canon multifunction laser back in 2009 that I am still using. Replacement toner goes for ~$20 for a 2 pack.

Since I never print in color it's far and away the bang for the buck.

Before I bought the Canon I used a couple Brother lasers and I would highly recommend them as well.