BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Spring Anime 2018 Thread

Shows are ending, new ones will be starting soon. Someone has to make this thread I guess.

Livechart: https://www.livechart.me/spring-2018/tv

RandomCuriosity's Preview: http://randomc.net/2018/03/24/spring-2018-preview/

Picturechart:
    Spoiler: show

Some obvious standouts are:
    Persona 5
    Hero Academia S3
    Hinamatsuri
    Shokugeki
    Steins;Gate
    Digimon Tri movie 6

I never watched FLCL before but it seems pretty popular on here so I might try and catch up on it. I also think I need to re-watch Full Metal Panic, I didn't like it when I first watched it but that was years ago and I was a lot younger so maybe I'll enjoy it now. Obviously the new season is super hyped on here.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

At least FLCL is easy to catch up on since it is only 6 episodes lol.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh. Well that helps lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Darling in the Franxx Episode 12

Just when I think i'm out it pulls me back in. I did some reading in other places and apparently this stuff goes a lot deeper with some Red Oni/Blue Oni folktale where the blue Oni sacrifices himself so that the Red Oni can be accepted by humans. There were some hints dropped in some of the earliest episodes that might confirm this is the case. I'm excited for the 2nd half of the series. It seems like the story is picking back up starting on this episode.

Just watched the new Legend of Galactic Heroes first episode. From what i remember of the original this was just a flashy upgrade. Will keep watching cause the original was epic but sadly I never got to finish the whole thing.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

FUCK YESSSSSSSS FMP IS BACK!

Wakfu season 3 just popped into Netflix US today and I am super happy. This show is awesome.

Steins Gate 0 everything else can go to fuck.

Though optimistic about Persona 5, if it can be half as funny as 4 I'll be happy even if the pacing is still shit (which it probably will be). FMP I'm too worried about, if they fuck up that's like 10 years of caring down the drain. After Berserk 2017 I'm not ready for that shit again. FLCL is probably going to be a disappointment, somehow I just can't imagine it'll even come close to the original.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

First ep of BnHA S3 is basically a pool/beach episode combined with lots of recaps.

Yeah, pretty lame filler/recap.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I know it's technically a Winter Anime, but none of you were ever 12-year old girls, and I wanted to talk about Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card. So I'm going to talk about it.

I'm only two episodes in (three if you count the prelude). I was behind because I made my husband watch the first episode when it came out and he was all confused on the characters and background, and even I was a little confused on some plot points that I had forgotten. So I had us watch the whole series from scratch (Poor guy. But he seemed to like it because the characters are really good.) Anyway~

The prelude was a clusterfuck I didn't like because they tried to alter the ending to make it fit with the new season, but within ten secounds I figured a solution where they could have gone on the same track while making the old ending (and second movie) still canon. But oh well. My solution:

It seems the prelude copies everything of the last two episodes but changes how the bears got exchanged which changes how they confess their feelings to each other.

In the show, Syaoran already gave his bear to Sakura. They could have had a filler episode after the second movie where before Syaoran went back to Hong Kong Sakura gives her bear for safe-keeping. Easy.

Actual series is seemingly really good, which makes me happy. I'm saddened by one character change

Sakura et. al. seeming to not know that Toya knows. I am assuming this is to fit closer with the manga (I haven't read it). But I do wish they would have kept the continuation from the old anime.

But other than that, it has great animation and has kept the flow the old series had.

While it may not be considered one of "the best" animes out there by many, it's my personal favorite classic series. And I honestly think it will rate high up on the "bringing a show back" scale considering how so many failed to recapture the nostalgia feelings (hi2u Sailor Moon).

I don't know how well it will do for new audiences if they haven't seen the old show. They did try to catch people up, but I feel that's more of a, "Hey for those who saw the series years ago, here's a reminder" vs. trying to make it stand on its own for those who never saw the old series.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I liked the recap episode for MHA, honestly. Was done well with some great scenes inbetween.

It was done pretty well for a recap but it's still a super lame way to start a season. I rolled my eyes so hard when they literally list everyone's special power.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    FUCK YESSSSSSSS FMP IS BACK!

FINALLLLLLLLLLY

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The memory twist was kind of predictable but it seems like Darling in the Franxx is going to start getting interesting.

Between 3-Gatsu and DBS, Saturday’s were the day I looked forward to most for anime. Hinamatsuri is great (1st episode was really good, fit the tone of the manga really well) but other then that there’s nothing I’m overly excited for. If BnHA gets far enough along in the mangas story (and at 24 episodes it should), then the end should be amazing.

AfO vs OfA fight

But yeah other then that there isn’t much I’m keen on

Edit: totally forgot about P5 but even then, having already beaten the game, I’m already a bit too familiar with the plot. And it’ll be interesting how they depict MC’s personality. It’ll be hard to match P4’s MC

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That fight was in the OP so yes it will.

Franxx was very good this week, the talk of the boards everywhere. Kind of the opposite of jumping the shark I suppose?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I know it's technically a Winter Anime, but none of you were ever 12-year old girls, and I wanted to talk about Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card. So I'm going to talk about it.
    ?? I was a 12-year old girl too. I'm pretty sure that was the exact age I was (maybe 13) when I saw CCS for the first time on lolFoxKids.

Anyway, you could have cleared up your issues (and saved a lot of time lol) by reading the manga. Clear Card, like pretty much every other anime nowadays unless its name is Black Clover, is a straight frame by frame recreation of the manga chapters (with some extra stuff because adaptation). The prelude is the last few chapters of the original manga, which clears up the issues the old anime created by being so different from it.

It's the same as the manga, that is, eeexcept the part where they're shoehorning Meilin into the anime because she kind of has to be there after how influential she was in the previous anime. Well, it's another fine way to introduce more episodes to the series I guess, but I don't know why she alone was chosen to be preserved from the old continuity and not the other stuff you mentioned.

And you guessed it,

Touya knowing what Sakura is up to but not letting on to Sakura that he knows is an important plot point in the manga, therefore...

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I don’t read manga. I’d love too, but it can’t keep my attention, and I don’t think I’ve managed to ever finish one. Same goes for comic books.

The toya part wasn’t really addressed in the prelude iirc, so I still think they still could have kept the ending/movie canon while doing a filler after the movie to get it back on track. They could have changed him in the filler, too. Mostly I love how they did Sakura and Syaoran’s confessions in the old anime, and see no reason to have changed that.

Those complaints are minor though as the season is really good. I’m loving it a lot.

[edit] I actually didn’t start watching it until college and had ripped fansubs of it. I’m thankful for that since I hear the American tv version was atrocious.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Aahah it was. The block was aimed at boys, so they tried to make Syaoran the main protagonist through judicious cutting and pasting. They Americanized nearly all the names. Also CCS is built on relationships that would be questionable at best for good Christian households so obviously we can't have any of those. It was a trainwreck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast