+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Going from IT support to programming

So quick backstory, (if this should be in tech you can move it but I figured it'd get more attention here )

In high school I took a Visual Basic programming class. I finished the entire year of work before the first semester ended, and spent the rest of the semester just programming some games (Started with a maze game, then made a basic shooting game, then a stick figure fighting game). Went to college and took a C++ coarse, but even though I aced the class, I barely ever attended any of my classes and ended up dropping out after the semester.

Bummed around a bit after that, eventually a friend, knowing I was good with computers, set me up with a job working desktop support for a health insurance company. I've been doing that the past couple years but have hated it. Never really liked the hardware side of things, only originally learned to build my own computer. And then adding on that most tickets are moronic as well as the people...so I quit recently and, while thinking about what to do next, thought about going back into programming.

If this was just a "going into world of programming" thing, then I wouldn't really need a thread, just go to whatever college is best for what part I want to enter (i.e. DigiPen for gaming). The problem is, I'd really rather skip the whole 9-5 bullshit. I'm far from what you'd call a consumer...shelter, food, and I'm a content man. A lot of people are telling me I'm making a huge mistake by quitting my current job but man, it's killing my soul to make a bunch of pointless excess cash.

Which then brings up: Freelance programming. I mean, is this actually viable? Does anyone over here do any freelancing that can give tips/advice, especially to "breaking in"? This is far from some "get rich quick while not leaving your home" thing, I could live off 1-1.5k a month easily enough though more would certainly be welcome.

And another thing would be, where exactly is the demand in? I'd imagine it would be in website coding/support but really don't know and don't know where to research that kind of thing. I really haven't programmed much since school, so I'd likely have to re-teach myself. I don't imagine it'd be difficult though, I mean, there's a lot of basic things I've forgotten, but I still "get" how things work.

I kinda have more questions but this is a big enough post as is and don't want to clutter things up, but yeah, any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated <3

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Do you also hate having health insurance? Because freelance seldom pays you regularly enough to pay for a individual coverage you're going to be happy with.

netz

Yup, you nailed it. Website design and programming has the lowest barrier to entry, and there's a lot of little guys in the business. But, if you're not working with someone else, the actual design (graphics and html/css) is going to be the bulk of the work, and will require the most talent and effort. There's a lot of prewritten packages to solve the programming aspect for you; learning an application or environment like WordPress or Drupal will let you do quite a lot for very little effort.

I'd say a lot of the other web development jobs, or other programming jobs using languages like Java and C#, are of the 9-5 variety, and depending on the organization, a lot of them are going to be looking for a bachelor's in computer science, or similar software engineering experience. 'course, this depends on the organization -- I think one of my friends has the work-whenever-as-long-as-it-gets-done-on-time mentality, and so do a couple of his friends, so your mileage may vary here. You might luck out working for a small company like that, but it's definitely the exception and not the norm. So this really means you're going to be working for yourself. You can get the money you mentioned easily, if you can attract the clients. Word-of-mouth, a good portfolio website, networking sites like LinkedIn, and even job boards like Monster -- all are excellent tools to advertise yourself, and you're going to need them.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Everyone I know who does/did freelance found/is finding a way into a steady paycheque.

Dolmen

My sister did freelance in the Atlanta area for 3 years, making ~80k/year doing it. However, once the economy tanked the opportunities started drying up. If you're just getting into it, don't do it. From what my sister said, the only way you'll get work that pays decent is if you know more advanced stuff, having a wide range of skills, and have good prior experience.

If you're just starting out, and your only experience is VB and a C++ class, you won't go anywhere. My sister was lucky to have her BS Comp Sci from Georgia Tech (cognitive science focus), and 4 years as a lead programmer with Dish Network. Also, you need to remember that freelancing = self-employed. Therefore, your costs will include health insurance as well as the self-employment tax.

Edit - Summation, my sister just quit doing freelance to work for a company. Everyone freelance is getting out unless they're crazy specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolmen View Post
    Therefore, your costs will include health insurance as well as the self-employment tax.
    Naww man, you're a contractor now. Stop paying your taxes and pay for some insurance.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dolmen View Post
    If you're just starting out, and your only experience is VB and a C++ class, you won't go anywhere.
    Oh no, I realize I'd have to learn a lot more, I wasn't saying "jump in right now", more of asking about going into it down the road, as what my focus would be would be different.

But thanks for the responses. Yeah, doesn't sound promising haha.

Dolmen

Quote Originally Posted by Ensam View Post
    Oh no, I realize I'd have to learn a lot more, I wasn't saying "jump in right now", more of asking about going into it down the road, as what my focus would be would be different.

But thanks for the responses. Yeah, doesn't sound promising haha.

I'd really say it depends on when you'd want to get into it. Once economies recover it's naturally a different story. If say you got into it in 4 years after obtaining a degree, then you definitely have a shot. However, I'd highly recommend taking that 9-5 job to learn the basis of how companies do their programming. Unfortunately, a lot of what you learn in college for programming doesn't translate to the working world. It's that whole "gotta suck it up and pay your dues" thing, again unfortunately.