+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level

Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion [LEAK]

topic title says it all. I'm dl'ing right now. people are absolutely raving about it, calling it last minute unofficial album of the year. supposedly more poppy and cohesive than previous outings (SJ was high energy soul, Sung Tongs was slurred intoxicated meandering goodness).

Black Belt
    BG Level

holy shit, album of the year

and this year was pretty damn decent

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I've heard of them from multiple people but never got a chance to check them out and just downloaded Merriweather Post Pavilion and I have to say it's right up my alley, sorry I didn't check them out sooner.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i'd definitely check out more if you like this album. Water Curses EP is very much in the vein of this new album. previous albums are a lot more raw and/or acoustic, but still really excellent.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I've been listening to the live songs for a few months now, eagerly anticipating this. I'm gonna wait for the digital download and vinyl, though, on January 6th.

Good to see some AC fans here, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    i'd definitely check out more if you like this album. Water Curses EP is very much in the vein of this new album. previous albums are a lot more raw and/or acoustic, but still really excellent.
    Other great albums include Sung Tongs, Feels, Strawberry Jam, and Person Pitch (which is actually a solo effort by Panda Bear, but you'll still love it if you're into AC). If you delve any deeper into their older shit (Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished, Campfire Songs, Danse Manatee, Here Comes the Indian), it starts to get really fucking weird.

Black Belt
    BG Level

yeah, Person Pitch is great. topped a lot of lists last year.

I think My Girls is my fave off the new album so far.

Old Merits
    BG Level

My Girls is actually the only song of which I've heard the studio version, and I really didn't like it as much as I did when it was played live. On the studio version, it sounded too light, and too shallow. Reminded me of Strawberry Jam. The live version I found to be much deeper, and more fitting with the rest of the album.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

my girls has been my most-listened to track on last.fm every week since it was leaked. i'll still check it out asap, but animal collective has always sort of been one of those bands where the album will have one or two really killer tracks on it and the rest is pretty blah...and since i don't expect anything on it tops my girls i'm a little bit worried this one will be the same.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Milton View Post
    my girls has been my most-listened to track on last.fm every week since it was leaked. i'll still check it out asap, but animal collective has always sort of been one of those bands where the album will have one or two really killer tracks on it and the rest is pretty blah...and since i don't expect anything on it tops my girls i'm a little bit worried this one will be the same.
    AC for me has always been the opposite. I classify their music as albums instead of individual songs, because that's how I tend to listen to them. None of their albums sound the same compared to each other, but they all blend incredibly well as individual albums.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

What genre of music would you categorize stuff like this as? They remind me so much of The Sound of Animals Fighting but I have no idea what genre I would call it besides chillawesome for a lack of a better word. Seriously though, maybe New Age/Experimental Rock?

E. Body
    BG Level

brothersport is about sucking dicks right?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kais View Post
    brothersport is about sucking dicks right?
    It's about Panda Bear's brother, Matt Lennox.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

what kind of music is this band anyway?

Black Belt
    BG Level

hard to classify AC. psychadelic experimental folk? they do a hell of a lot of genre bending though.

kinda funny that you mentioned TSOAF, magus... I've got Tiger and the Duke and Lover the Lord has Left Us, and I only see slight parallels between AC and the Lover album. Tiger & Duke is pretty much post-hardcore with a bit of experimenting; great album though. TSOAF is pretty cool.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

so i had never heard of this band till this thread, downloaded the album, its great.

Black Belt
    BG Level

haha, welcome to hipster-dom.

I'm getting the feeling that people who are liking this album due to the "chill" factor would really really really like Panda Bear's Person Pitch, so be sure to check that out.

E. Body
    BG Level

quality flac and 320 (non-160 transcodes) are up on what.cd if anyone cares

Old Merits
    BG Level

Ugh, I hate to say it, but having listened to a few more of the studio songs (In the Flowers and Brothersport, mainly), I'm kind of disappointed. Don't get me wrong, both those songs are fantastic, I just feel that they pale in comparison to their live counterparts. The explosion in In the Flowers is too dominated by the drums, you don't hear the melody enough. My gripe with Brothersport is the scream. Live, Avey would just go all out and scream as loud as he could. On the studio track, it sounds way too tame. It doesn't fit the song at all.

Overall, great album, but not as good as it could've been.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Bump, but holy fucking shit, after giving the album a full listen, this might be the best album I've ever heard. It's like a fucking jungle come to life. It makes me melt. Bluish is so beautiful it makes me cry. OH MY GOD IT'S SO GOOD.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

wait, wtf?

Merriweather Post Pavilion is the venue that I go to ALL of my shows... it's about 5 minutes from my house.

They titled their ALBUM after this place?

Awesome.