+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

PLD/NIN for Omega or Ultima?

Always have had NIN/WAR tanks on our Limbus weapons fights, but i now would like the option to be able to bring some PLD/NINs. Is this at all wise? any suggestions to strats if you have a PLD/NIN?

Blackice

PLD/NIN will be the same as NIN/WAR except hate will be stronger. NIN/DRK+PLD/NIN is a great combo for both fights.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

i'm a little weary of the hate reset moves w/o any form of provoke. How do you get around that?
    Also i'm not a tank myself so please bare that in mind that i have no first hand experience of tanking hate mechanics

Blackice

Provoke is actually very little hate. Of all hate grabbing moves it also decays the fastest. Flash and Stun are relatively the same amount of hate but do not decay as quickly. Also with decent amount of Haste gear, Haste Spell and 1 March Stun/Flash timers are actually lower than Provoke (30 seconds) for example my PLD/NIN gear with Haste spell on me and 1 March, my Flash timer is reduced to 22 seconds.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Its a little rough during the ultima countdowns when hate gets wiped. Best bet is to pick a hate reset interval where the paladin goes invincible and try to chop off a solid 10-15% of his life for the kill. Theres really nothing any job can do when ultima is resetting hate almost every 30-45 seconds other than invincible. Every other interval you have to pussyfoot a bit lest you get drawn in and armor buster'd or wire cutter'd.

we always have pld/nin nin/drk for ultima, and hate is not usually an issue for me as pld/nin, even after Citadel Buster, long as i live and have enough MP i can flash and cure myself a few times to grab hate. MP is the big issue, but Chivaly, Ethereal earring, and Devotion usually keep me with hate even after a CB on me.

Worst case senario takes me 2 flashes to get hate back. And sometimes that can be really long. Like one of the previous posters said, 22 second flash recast makes it far more useful than provoke.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My personal favorite setup for Ultima, which I would say is the harder of the two, is Pld/Nin x2 + Nin/Drk or Nin/War.

While 3 tanks can be a bit of overkill I find that it gives a lot of stability to the fight.

My personal aim in this was usually to try & have 1 Pld/Nin + 1 Nin always tanking Ultima, while you would hold one Pld/Nin in reserve to slowly build hate.

Have the backup tank stay just below the hate que lineup until it's CB time, at this point have them swap in full HP gear, throw them Magus' Roll from a Corsair, if possible, and then have them go full out for hate.

It is *VERY* easy to survive CB with proper buffs, even more so now because you can make use of Rampart's Magic Stoneskin effect to shave a lot of the dmg off CB on top of the Magic Defense.

Doing it this way you can effectively have 2 tanks for the bulk of the fight, and 1 tank to make use of during the CB phase. The only real challenge after surviving CB is that you lose an immense amount of hate when you are taking 1k+ damage, so if you take a few in a row it may be very difficult to recover hate afterwards, so to some extent it can be helpful to rotate a few tanks here.

I am honestly not sure if a Nin can get enough HP to reliably survive CB though, I have no clue how high they can push their HP if they gear for it. With Pld it is relatively easy to hit 2k+ and still be in the +30 enmity range.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

thanks very much guys just the kind of info i wanted.
    Gonna try it next time.
    on a side note our BLMs seem to always survive CB no idea why lol

My shell uses 2 PLD/NINs and a NIN/DRK, hasn't failed us yet.

Nin/War and Pld/Nin combo worked well on Omega last night. Some of the AOE stuff is not blinkable but it didn't do too much dmg. Hate was solid. It also helps to have Collossal Blow miss hehe (I got pretty luck on that considering I was the pld/nin )

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Collossal Blow never scares me that much if it does hit me, it's like throat stab, I worry more for any squishy mages he might go after once he's reset my hate.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    Collossal Blow never scares me that much if it does hit me, it's like throat stab, I worry more for any squishy mages he might go after once he's reset my hate.
    Ive managed to run out of range of it a few times....was unlocked waiting for it...but couldnt do it all the time too fast...
    Its kinda stunnable...but again fast move :/

Blackice

Has anyone been successful with Sentinel on Collossal Blow yet? I tried to time it last time but I wasn't fast enough or it doesn't work for Throat Stab like moves, I'm not sure which. Going to try again tonight though, will post screenshots if I do end up timing it correctly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    Has anyone been successful with Sentinel on Collossal Blow yet? I tried to time it last time but I wasn't fast enough or it doesn't work for Throat Stab like moves, I'm not sure which. Going to try again tonight though, will post screenshots if I do end up timing it correctly.
    YOu lose full hate irrespective of the damage it does to you, almost 100% on that....ive "resisted" it a few times and only taken 100-200 damage but then it goes flying after someone else

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If it 'damages' you at all, even for 0, you will still lose hate. Most of the hate reset moves are like that.

I've had Invincible up before when Ulli tagged me and it still reset hate.

I've had Sentinel up before for Omega as well, I did take some small amount of Dmg since I had just turned it on before, but still resets hate.

By the way, Blackice, give me your Hydra Haubert.

Blackice

Quote Originally Posted by Garret

By the way, Blackice, give me your Hydra Haubert.
    lol

Yeah, I know it's still full hate-reset regardless of dmg because I've had shadow mantle proc on it before and still lost hate.