+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 Controller on PC     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Xbox 360 Controller on PC

Been looking to get a 360 controller for XIV since my old logitech controller I used for XI is pretty worn out and I haven't used it for a year or two

I have no idea about its models or redesings, I was looking at this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireles...oller+wireless

It looks like it has a decent d-pad or at least better than the original one, but I don't know if this one is gonna work for PC. does the Play and Charge Kit thing let you play with it while wired on PC or only charges it? It doesn't have a USB reciever so It wont work wireless.

The other option is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xb...=pd_cp_vg_h__2

But it doesn't look like it uses AA batteries, I've used the DS3 before but the battery barely lasts a few days/a week of casual play while my old logitech with two AA batteries lasted two months, I don't want to be recharging the controller every other day or in the middle of a fight/instance/raid

The easiest option would be buying a simple wired one but then again, the D-pad looks horrible.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireles...troller+dongle

You need that dongle to use wireless 360 controllers on your PC. Play n' charge kit is just a rip-off that acts as a charger only for the official garbage rechargable battery packs. Can't comment on the better looking d-pad since I've not used one myself, but fuck the d-pad on standard 360 controller. Was looking at getting me one of those wireless Logitech controllers for my PC that has a "360 controller" mode switch built-in for games that support 360 controllers, but I can't comment on the quality of those either.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also be aware (I'm aware of this b/c I wrote a console to PC guide for FFXI); with the official drivers for a xbox 360 controller, the triggers may refuse to work. I've heard everything from use unofficial drivers to use Xpadder to get them to work. So do your homework on that before someone hears a long and foul string of cussin' coming from wherever you got the computer.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Decided to buy a Wireless one since they run with two AA batteries.

Anyone knows how many hours should I expect from two non-rechargeable AA batteries? As I said, the old logitech controller I have lasts (or used to when I played XI way back then) a few weeks, around 6 more or less of intensive use (5-8 hours a day). I decided to buy a wireless one so I can play on my TV if I want to, but it would suck if it only lasts a few days.

Personally, I bought a wired xbox 360 controller because it's just plug and play.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So is a wireless one, you just have to install the drivers and that's it, I would have gone with a wired one if it wasn't because having a cord hanging through the room is not practical at all, and for FFXIV you're dropping the pad every so often to type, having a cord is not comfortable to me after playing wireless for so many years

I tried to google how long it would last, but everyone just says to play wired, which makes me think it barely lasts a two days at most like the DS3... If that's the case I can't believe how the hell can MS make a controller so inefficient battery-wise if logitech can make one that lasts 20 times more, hope I'm wrong on that assumption :/

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    So is a wireless one, you just have to install the drivers and that's it
    I thought you need the wireless receiver to use an Xbox 360 controller on the PC.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It comes bundled with the controller, I don't have a 360 so I had to buy it anyway.

Oh ok. I think that is only bundled if you bought the "Xbox 360 controller for the PC". A standard xbox 360 wireless controller doesn't come with the receiver.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    So is a wireless one, you just have to install the drivers and that's it,
    The term Plug And Play denotes that you should not have to install a driver.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wired or not you're still going to need the driver for it to work, you can get it automatically through windows update when you plug it or download it from MS's site.

Anyway, anyone with a wireless one can give me a rough estimate of how long it does last with 2 non rechargeable (they can barely hold a charge after a few times) AA batteries? It'll be a kick in the nuts if it like the Dual Shock 3, which is around 20ish hours.

The point is, with a wired controller, you plug it in, and Windows would automatically load the driver without you having to do anything.

With wireless, you have to go to Microsoft's site to download the wireless driver, perform setup manually and syncing. Not a big deal, but there is a difference.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah that's right, it's not literally "Plug and Play" but it barely takes 30 seconds to sync it, it's just pushing two buttons, you don't have to setup anything manually on the computer though, just let windows do its thing.

From what I understand, you can't just let Windows do its thing. It will show up as an unknown device and you will actually have to go download the driver yourself.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    From what I understand, you can't just let Windows do its thing. It will show up as an unknown device and you will actually have to go download the driver yourself.
    This is 100% correct in my experience. Windows will not recognize the driver. You need to manually download/install. After that you need to go into your devices from control panel, and configure the unknown device to wireless ms controller or whatever.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I had the driver installed before hand as I was waiting for the delivery to arrive this morning so I can't say about that, I didn't have to go to the control panel or do anything else, just installed the drivers I got from MS's site, plug it in, push the button on the receiver and then the big Xbox button on the middle of the controller and volia, it works. No need to mess with anything on the computer besides click on a .exe

Maybe I shouldn't have said it was Plug and Play lol, thread got kinda off topic, but it's pretty simple.

Need to know about the battery thing, early access for FFXIV is around the corner and I don't want to find about it the hard way, hope it lasts as long as the old logitech pad...

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm pretty sure the official MS dongle I used with my 360 controller was PnP with windows 8. Also, it works great. No 3rd party mess, all the controls are fine.

As far as battery, I beat tomb raider and bioshock on one set. They last quite a long time.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's been 3 days with pretty intensive use, about 30 hours in and the batteries are still going strong, I don't think they deplete as fast if you don't use rumble, a plus for me since I don't like it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

just bought one of these myself the other day. is there supposed to be a a way to turn the thing off or do I have to pop out the battery every time?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    just bought one of these myself the other day. is there supposed to be a a way to turn the thing off or do I have to pop out the battery every time?
    There's a system tray app you can get called 360 controller manager that puts in holding the usual button to power down. Without that you have to pop the battery.