Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Corsair SJ, having trouble deciding.

Anyone else have any input on this? I didn't see another thread directly related to discussing the "accepted" SJ for Corsair. Judging from its gear I would say its meant to be played like a DD with support capabilities, but COR/WHM seems like it would be good as well.

Looking for input from other people(leveling, or not leveling) COR that might have some valid info, but looking at some of the stuff COR can equip it leads me to think that it would be played directly as DD, if it can use Slug Shot without /RNG maybe.

Don't just reply and say the job you think that should be subbed, give justification/reasons why.

My theory is /rng. Because without a dispel ability it can never fill the support role like a rdm or Brd

Relic Shield
    BG Level

do you get ranged ws w/o ranger sub?

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Depends on your personal playing style and what a party needs.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

pre 10 = /whm or if you have to /rdm
    10-whenever you get a ranged weapon = /war
    ranged weapons-75 = /rng

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Seems like you can get away with /war or /whm pre-20 or so, and after that you're better off subbing rng. If you sub thf, you should be shot

Yes, should get ranged WS since COR skill is B (+/-) in marksmanship. Unless of course I'm totally wrong...

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl
    Seems like you can get away with /war or /whm pre-20 or so, and after that you're better off subbing rng. If you sub thf, you should be shot
    BUT HES A PIRATE..........LOL

To start, I don't even have my expansion disc yet and have not even seen any of the new jobs.

However, ask yourself this:

Why would you want a Corsair in your party?

I would imagine in 99% of cases, the reason for wanting one is for the Rolls (a support ability). For this reason, I think that support SJ would be ideal (aka /WHM).

If you have a 5 member party, and need another DD job, I don't think COR would be on the top of the list.

I think that the people attempting to justify /RNG or /THF are the equivalent of Melee-RDM. Sure it might work in the lower levels, but once you get higher people will realize that the job is being invited to parties to play a support role, not for their ability to shoot a gun. And when it comes to support, /WHM is tough to beat.

Of course, this also depends on how the job actually performs in those higher levels. From what I've heard, most of their skills are B or C (similar to BRD), so I have a feeling that their damage on EXP mobs will drop off in the higher levels. The job would be overpowered if it could provide RNG-esque damage while also having incredibly powerful (and desired) support rolls.

Just about the only argument for subbing something melee is the fact that CORs can keep their TP. BRDs constantly swap instruments which resets their TP to 0, which is the main reason why they don't melee during EXP. COR doesn't need to change equipment for their rolls, which means that they could shoot a few times between rolls and WS once every 2-3 mobs.

It's more like a mix of BRD and RDM. Take the songs of BRD and the mild nukes of RDM and you've got COR. Primarily support which provides light damage when time allows for it.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No Faranim, the difference is that COR has a lot of free time to shoot and has some damage skills. WHM doesn't enhance ANY aspect of COR, it adds one, and unlike BRD there are aspects that can be enhanced for COR. I'd rather have a support job that contributes 1/2 the damage of a melee than a support job that can toss a single cure 2.

Sub war and spam au laits until 10+.

Last night I did 1-5 without a problem with just Bronze Knife +1, my crafting apron/glasses, a rice dumpling, and 3 pamamas au lait.

Tonight I'm going to get 7 so I can use Xiphos +1 and leather gear, then switch to pear from pamama. Then all the 1st tier CP gear comes into play at 10, should keep me soloable for a while.

Dice rolls wear off when you zone and last 5 minutes, so roll yourself a 5 or 10-11, if you screw it up just zone. With xp ring + a solid roll you should be getting +70% exp.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm going to say war sub for 'zerk if yoi get ranged WS without rng sub.

64+ I would say sub rdm when you are filling the "refresh" role, so that you have dispel.

and theres always an outside chance that /nin will be viable for duel weilding R.acc/agi weapons and the most important spell in the game.

rng sub for sharpshot only is kinda meh, so it really boils down to WS acsess and weather or not COR gets it.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I think /rng is the win...

It's not like a melee RDM or BRD... Corsair seems like a job that naturally has alot of free time

And to the poster above that asked, yes you get Ranged WS as /RNG.

ninja edit since someone posted during my post: i agree, if you get native WS (which I think you will personally), then it's /NIN or /WAR

So whose slot does the job take in a party?

Tank DDx3 COR/RNG LonleyHealer

vs

Tank DDx3 COR/WHM AnotherMage

vs

Tank DDx2 COR/RNG Magesx2 // Lower Damage output == Lower EXP

I'd rather go with the 2nd choice.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim
    Just about the only argument for subbing something melee is the fact that CORs can keep their TP. BRDs constantly swap instruments which resets their TP to 0, which is the main reason why they don't melee during EXP.
    swapping instruments don't lose TP, unless it was something from really long ago that got patched. BRDs lose TP from swapping elemental staves.

another reason BRDs don't melee much is because the song cast times are really long. i don't think COR has that problem, so it actually has extra time to shoot.

damage will suck in the higher levels because of low skill + no access to high damage guns and bullets.

I went COR/WAR last night and came about 200XP away from level 6 in an hour. With lucky number, I was hitting +32% XP bonus on Corsair's Roll.

My path is going to be similar to Auriks - rush to 7 to upgrade gear, then rush to 10 to upgrade again. I think first gun a Corsair can use is Bandit's at 15, so I'll probably solo in the telepoint zones till then, then move to worms in Korroloka then Quifm. Will go /RNG for that.

I don't think subbing a mage job will prove to be too effective for Corsair.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim
    So whose slot does the job take in a party?

Tank DDx3 COR/RNG LonleyHealer

vs

Tank DDx3 COR/WHM AnotherMage

vs

Tank DDx2 COR/RNG Magesx2 // Lower Damage output == Lower EXP

I'd rather go with the 2nd choice.
    Depends how good the buffs REALLY are and how well they stack.. It's like a half bard/half DD...

TANK/DD/DD/COR/BRD/(rdm or whm)

Possibly tank+cor = 1 DD

Black Belt
    BG Level

64+ I would say sub rdm when you are filling the "refresh" role, so that you have dispel.
    Dispel from BRD/RDM in Moon gets resisted like 50% of the time with subjob Enfeebling Skill. Dispel might seem like it rarely gets resisted, but /RDM Dispel on a job that has no Enfeebling Skill is not good.

people with /WAR and /RNG subs now are fine, but i agree with Faranim, 50+, 60+, /WHM is probably going to help the party more. or /NIN and pull, COR is really a variation of BRD, i don't see how it can fill the other roles in an XP PT efficiently.

The rolls last 5 minutes with 1 minute cooldown?

Meh, I don't know anymore. Will have to see how strong the buffs are and what kind of ranged attack/accuracy COR has in the higher levels.

It just seems almost too good to be true, that you can have BRD-equivalent buffs while also providing reasonable DD.

It's definately not a "BRD-equivalent". At lv 25 you'll get +10 attack from a roll of 10 on Chaos Roll and +20 for a roll of 11. Chaos Roll isn't even worth using given your other options and the randomness of the roll system.

I'm worried about the cap for these rolls, I don't think they'll come close to keeping up with bard, even if you always roll perfectly.

You get ranged weapon skills without /rng, I'm /war. I'd tell you how good the damage is but there are no bullets on Midgardsormr. Soloing, I kill about 1/3 the speed of a PUP, if not slower.

COR isn't as great as I hoped it would be in terms of effectiveness, but it's definately cool. We'll all have to wait for the higher level dice and scale-ability of the lower leveled ones.

PS: /rng is pointless. Why would you /rng? Sharpshot? That's not a good enough reason for /rng. In terms of SJ, I don't think it matters, at all, until we see Card Shot.