Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Hell. It's about time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.
    http://kotaku.com/5830377/new-counte...-in-early-2012

New Counter-Strike is Real, hits PS3, Xbox 360, Mac and PC in Early 2012
    The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumors were true. Valve Software announced the game today and already added a listing for it to Steam.

In a press release, Valve said that "CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more."
    The team-based shooter game is "targeted" for an early 2012 release on the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade, the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network, Mac and PC in early 2012.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi said in today's announcement. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

The game is being co-developed by Valve and Hidden Path Entertainment (the latter of whom worked with Valve on updates to Counter-Strike: Source, the game's most recent major release) and will be playable at PAX Prime in two weeks in Seattle as well as at the London Games Festival Eurogamer Expo in late September.

Interesting. I wonder what those Valve protesters are thinking right now. They were demanding a long-lost sequel from Valve, weren't they?

This and DOTA 2... Valve is a busy kid.

psyched.

been a long time since I was into CS, but I'd love a fresh start.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I played CS 1.6 for years, in CAL and other leagues.. Never got into Source though.. Should be interesting how the "pros" will receive this new game..

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I haven't played since 1.4 (fuck riot shields), but this may get me back into it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Loan View Post
    I played CS 1.6 for years, in CAL and other leagues.. Never got into Source though.. Should be interesting how the "pros" will receive this new game..
    HenryG a pro at Counter strike source has been saying this is pretty much just a filler game its not a "CS2" or anything close, he is one of the players in Seattle now playing the game. He says it is more aimed at the casual console player. However 3k2 another professional has been giving some really good answers on a reddit thread and has some high hopes for the game saying that valve and HPE have been listening to them about the changes they think needs to be made for the game to become competative.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._headquarters/

Console games and mmo's ruined real computer gaming

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Console games and mmo's ruined real computer gaming
    Well atm in Seattle there is 20 of the top Pros from counter strike source, J3DI the coder of a plugin called zblock (pretty much the only reason CS can be competitive) torbull a old 1.6 player and the current leader of ESEA the biggest tournament in america for counter strike source, and they are going to be there untill the weekend still talking about ways to try and "fix" css so there is still hope for even more good Counter strike news in the coming weeks.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Checking around everywhere I came across this

Q: release date?
    A: Q1 2012

Q: The big question: Will it have updated graphics but with 1.6 style gameplay? Which is, arguably, the more competitive of the two. Are they going for an esports title contender or are they going for a CoD-esque type game?
    A: It is a mix really, it has wallspamming which is more like 1.6, but it is on the source engine, so the feel of it is more(but not exactly) like source. The flashes are also more like 1.6, where turning your back to them will make you a lot less flashed than looking straight at them, but they also have the sound from source. The smokes are like they are in the current source. There is also more tagging than in source, but the tagging also depends on the damage youre being dealt, so you wont be pinned to the ground by being hit by a glock for example ;>
    They have a casual and a competitive more - the competitive mode is very esports-minded and will have a match-making and ranking system both for teams and individual players.

Q: any kind of estimate on when it'll actually come out? Does valve seem to be focused on fixing a lot of complaints from old source/1.6? Is this just essentially a huge update that'll cost $50?
    A: Planned release is Q1 2012. The people here are all top players from source or people from the big communities, so they are very focused on fixing things that people have problems with in earlier versions of the game. It will have matchmaking and rankings, so it's not just another version of the same thing, it is mainly made for 5on5 play, so it's more about getting the "real" competitive experience than previous versions has been.

Q: Does the game resemble CounterStrike 1.6 or Source more?
    A: Much more like Source, it's made on a newer version of the source-engine and the maps are (some of them heavily)modified versions of the source-maps.

Q: What was Valve mind set of the game? What ideas were they suggesting? Did you actually get to test some gameplay? Did they mention anything about the competitive side e.g 1mill tournament for this as they did for Dota 2?
    A: Their mindset on it isn't that it needs to have the 1.6 players and/or source players all move to it necessarily, even though clearly theyre hoping to make it good enough that people want to move. They are very serious about making it a good competitive game though (there is a competitive and casual mode), which is proven by them flying in 20 top players from europe to help them test it.

We played the game yeah, they said we should suspect crashes and stuff, but it wasn't too bad. We we're 10 people playing in the room I was in and I think we had 3 crashes total in like 4-5 hours of play, so it's not too bad.

I'm pretty sure he said at lunch, that there wasn't going to be a dota2 style 1 million dollar tournament, but I only overheard that conversation, so I'm not 100% sure about what exactly he said.
    With that in it mind it would appear to be nothing more than filler for CS2. Reasonable price and 5v5 is good enough for me. Hopefully there will be a beta.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/12/co...oy-grenade-an/

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to include new Decoy grenade and balance tweaks
    Officially, Valve hasn't given us much more than a name for Counter-Strike Global Offensive, but unofficially, they've invited a bevy of pro-gamers to the HQ to play it already. G4 got a hold of one of those pros, and Craig "Torbull" Levin from eSports Entertainment Association, has shared some details on the game he saw.

It sure sounds a lot like Counter-Strike -- of course there will be new models and animations, but the maps are all the old familiar kind: Dust, Dust2, Inferno, Nuke, and Train. There are some new maps to play on, and new weapons, including a new heavy machine gun, a new range of shotguns specifically for close-up combat, and a Molotov cocktail grenade, expensive and designed for strategically cutting off a certain area on the map.

There's another new grenade called a Decoy that sounds cool: It'll send out a burst of gunfire from wherever it's thrown, confusing the enemy team into thinking there's action there. That's still being tweaked (the gunfire might be from specific weapons or just the generic enemy firearms), along with weapons strength and various experiments like giving everyone kevlar at round start, or making the CT defuse kit a special item like the Terrorist bomb.

Sounds interesting -- and still very under development. We'll see the game later on this month at PAX, and let you know more then.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Really good read here about the trip and some of the meetings/testing that took place.

http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=...mments&id=9969

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Wonder if this will replace 1.6 as the top "pro" game or not, seeing how Source and just about every FPS since then horribly failed.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is this supposed to be more of a modern CS game for the consoles?

I just can't see the point of purchasing GO when CS:S has more than enough content (and usermade stuff) to last me a life-time. I'm a bit surprised this wasn't announced as an upgrade to CS:S.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by sruon View Post
    Wonder if this will replace 1.6 as the top "pro" game or not, seeing how Source and just about every FPS since then horribly failed.
    I take it back, this is never going to get any eSport coverage. Counter Strike : Modern Warfare 2 sup.

- this game is not going to replace CS 1.6, or CS:S, it is primary made for consoles, PC version is just kind of a "bonus"
    - at the moment, the game looks more like HL2DM
    - There is no recoil and there will never be. (because of the consoles)
    - the game runs on L4D2 engine
    - SourceTV is NOT a priority
    - they are working on match making system
    - new money system
    - no kevlar (this should be fixed in the future)
    - maps are simplyfied for XBOX style, less ways, most fights are close range
    - Hidden Path (Valve only finances the game) is trying to make all weapons balanced.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by sruon View Post
    I take it back, this is never going to get any eSport coverage. Counter Strike : Modern Warfare 2 sup.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

Guess it would be better to wait on CS2 instead of this filler.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

1) can't wait.
    2) I hope this hurts MW
    3) consoles will enjoy their pedophiles heaven/gamer's hell
    4) I want me an accurate Dust/Dust2/warehouse (?, it's been a while but I did have 3 or 4 favorites that I used 24/7 servers for)
    5) CAL rankings! I want an automated system to rank people!
    6) If those console nubs migrate to PC I will be g#$ d*%& ch*$((ng on a h0%$3 d*$@ pissed....

There was a call to ban one of the more recent FPS due to being able to play as the terrorist, how long until some organization cries about this one?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Wow. I was hype, then I was mad all in the span of like 10 minutes between new posts, fuck.

1.6 it is I guess.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://csglobaloffensive.com/

Planned release in Q1 2012
    Available on PC/Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3
    Matchmaking system
    Focus on 5v5 competitive play
    Both Defuse (de_) and Hostage (cs_) map types confirmed!
    eSports-oriented
    Competitive and Casual modes
    Ranked / ladder play for individuals and teams
    Dedicated servers
    Gameplay has elements similar to both CS:S and CS 1.6
    Classic maps (with both minor and major modifications) include: Dust2, Dust, Aztec, Inferno, Nuke, Train
    Molotov grenade: creates area of fire that slows players crossing through it
    Decoy grenade: emits fake weapon firing sounds to confuse enemies about your position
    Bullets penetrate some walls and objects like CS 1.6
    Many changes to weapons, as well as new weapons
    Classic gameplay: no ironsights
    Beta in September or October (Unconfirmed)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Focus on 5v5 competitive play
    sound boring for a fps

also

Classic gameplay: no ironsights
    i understand this probably to keep the "counterstrike feel" but it just seems lazy at this point to only have hip fire. im sure there would crying if they included it, i just don't see how not having it is beneficial, aside from pigeon holing game play to run and gun and players don't ever have to make a choice about going to iron sights because its not available. i guess in counterstrike less choice is good?

Quote Originally Posted by djzombie View Post
    sound boring for a fps

also

i understand this probably to keep the "counterstrike feel" but it just seems lazy at this point to only have hip fire. im sure there would crying if they included it, i just don't see how not having it is beneficial, aside from pigeon holing game play to run and gun and players don't ever have to make a choice about going to iron sights because its not available.
    I think they limiting it to 5v5 so the new players won't be complaining about the long wait after they die the second they enter the fire fight.

The success of the game probably hinges on either the hardcore CS players supporting it or it managing to draw from the COD crowd. But I don't see either of it happening. The console FPS crowd is too use to the deathmatch style FPS, you die, you respawn, no waiting for the round to finish. The hardcore CS player probably won't drop 1.6 even if CS2 comes out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag