Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Specific Forums     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Job Specific Forums

Is it too much to ask for JS Forums? I know that we have the random question thread, but I feel that singled discussion for jobs would help a lot of people find information easier and eliminate so many repeat questions. ZAM/KI/Wiki/FFXIAH are all pretty useless/outdated anymore on the job forums. ZAM has the best activity, and it's full of bad advice.

Just figured I'd throw my 2 cents out there.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

This has been suggested about 300 times. >_> I don't know why now would be any different than the past 10,000 years.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

well in order for those to work we would need lots of mods controlling shitty posts :<

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Try to make job specific thread and keep updating it ( like blue mage thread ). I would maybe ask admin first.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Total waste of server space. This is why the Goddamn Random Question Thread exists.

If you really want job specific forums, use the Official Forums.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That's like telling me to ask the special olympics for athletic advice.

Ugh..in the past I've just used other sites for job information (mainly wiki and occasionally KI/ZAM) because it was a large collection of easily accessible information. Can't have everything I guess!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Nishida View Post
    would help a lot of people find information easier and eliminate so many repeat questions.
    People ask the same questions because they can't be assed to actually read a thread, or use the search function. Job specific forums isn't going to help anyone find information faster >.>

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Job specific forums - why? Forums get the same questions repeatedly and it's not like amazing discoveries are made so often that you need a whole section to hold it all.

You're gonna have nothing more than dead threads taking up forum space cause the same questions asked there can currently be asked in the RQT and answered faster since Advanced gets traffic.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I could see a blu specific section only because of the sheer amount of crap to wade through in a single thread but other than that there would really be no job that needs its own forum.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I guess BG is the only forum doinitrite. I'm just used to all the other forums having JS forums, but you all make valid points against them. Meh.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Nishida View Post
    I guess BG is the only forum doinitrite. I'm just used to all the other forums having JS forums, but you all make valid points against them. Meh.
    If you look at some of the threads on sites with job specific forums you'll notice that only a few move at all. Some of the threads on FFXIAH haven't moved in weeks, KI has... well the whole XI section is dead, ZAM's MNK boards which are usually their most active hasn't been posted in 2 days and the list goes on.

Really, all job specific forums do is give the illusion of the site being bigger and more active than it really is.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

That said, I feel that reporting my data on Dancer forums has a larger impact than it does if I just post it in the Mathy parts here.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

KI, Alla, official forums, are all that way ->

edit: lol, ffxiah has forums? ffxiah = ah and achievements, forums gtfo

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

FFXIAH job forums are still good, I don't see it really needed here.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I don't think its too much to ask really.

Advice on most other forums is bad and like someone mentioned about the Bluemage thread, if you're just starting BLU, going through 300+ pages is dumb as a lot of info is OLD and new info has outdated it but might not be posted till 50 pages later.

If not job specific forums then maybe a Mage/Tank/DD forums where you can make a job specific topic and keep discussion relevant to said role or maybe even a job subforum and make a post about each specific job. I am more in favor of the 3 forums for each role personally since the way jobs overlap it fits better and is easier then making 20 forums.

Insert witty title here
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I can see the good and the bad. Yes, RQT and What's better threads are nice and handle a lot of these issues, so they might be redundant, but some people get pissy when others ask the same questions that were answered 2 to 10 pages before.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I agree that job specific forums would be good.

How can someone make the argument that KI/Zam are >
    when everyone knows those forums are dead entirely.

It has been mentioned that the ffxiah forums are pretty good, which is true, but I'd rather get everything I need from one board.

The argument that the random question thread is > is just an excuse from people that think its the cool thing to say.

I've posted serious questions in the random question thread before and not even had a single reply. So you cant say that everyone reads it, because they dont. The only reason the ffxiah forums are still active is because its the only real source for JS information.
    When I want to know what I should change to my Ukko's fury setup, getting people that play war is better than hearing advice from people looking for information on pup attachments. Just sayin.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post
    So you cant say that everyone reads it, because they dont.
    How do Job Specific forums fix that though?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

they would fix it because 1. the people asking questions about a specific job situation would get the answers faster than relying on someone randomly coming across something they can answer or comment on.

and 2. the people that are knowledgable to job issues, whether it be equipment or mechanics would have an easier way to get the information to those intended to see it.

We all know how unreceptive the BG forum readers are to new posts in advanced.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Personally, I think Job specific forums are unnecessary. A forum should be a central location for A LOT of posts related to a specific topic. I don't think any of you could fill up a sub forum with multiple threads that were all completely necessary to warrant its own forum.

That being said, in the crafting forum we've had a fishing thread going for years. A small group of fisher's post there daily, and it's always the 1st source of any new fishing information in the game.

So I'm ok if someone wants to make a "WAR - Advanced Discussion" thread for their job (similar to the "WHM Melee" thread we already have). Just keep it relevant, don't spam it with stupidity, and don't piss off Isladar ^^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast