+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quick question

So liek, my laptop just started doing this before I turned it back on a few minutes ago: screen freezes for a second, blinks to a black screen, then back to normal, then screen freezes again, then black screen(like a 5 second cycle) and does this over and over and over again until I just shut it off. I wouldn't be so worried if it just froze, but I've never had this happen before something serious? spyware? anyone else had this happen? It seems fine now, but I figured I'd get a head start just in case

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

Re: Quick question

how old is it, could be something wrong with the screen. Maybe try running it in safe mode and doing a few scans just to make sure its nothing. This is just something off of the top of my head

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Run the diagnostics for your system, emphasizing video, memory, and processor/motherboard.

ASAP.

Contact tech support for your system. Follow their steps (I know, LolIndia, etc.)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    Run the diagnostics for your system, emphasizing video, memory, and processor/motherboard.

ASAP.

Contact tech support for your system. Follow their steps (I know, LolIndia, etc.)
    I'm scared now How do I do this on windows XP?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If your system is a recent Dell, it's not in XP. You press F12 at the bios splash, and select Diagnostics.

I don't know other manufacturer systems... contact the tech support group for those.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

It's about a year old, and what's bio splash? I'm a computer noob.

Edit: the problem evolved to a Memory Parity error. ~_~

background: I got this same error a few months back, called dell's tech guy, he told me to re seat the RAM to see if it's bad. Since I'm neurotic about stuff like that and I had room to improve I just bought new RAM from crucial.com, I know it's compatible, could it still be causing problems?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Doubtful.
    Usually memory errors are resolved by replacing memory.
    If you are having more errors, chances are the memory socket itself is bad, meaning your laptop needs a new mobo.

Btw, the splash is the screen you see at the very beginning of turning on your laptop. (you know, says dell and all that shit)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    Doubtful.
    Usually memory errors are resolved by replacing memory.
    If you are having more errors, chances are the memory socket itself is bad, meaning your laptop needs a new mobo.

Btw, the splash is the screen you see at the very beginning of turning on your laptop. (you know, says dell and all that shit)
    Thanks, and you're right, I took out the B slot stick and everything works fine now. Guess I have to send it to Dell ><