Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Repairing a GPU Fan?

Starting yesterday I noticed a faint clicking noise coming from my PC. After some inspection, turns out it's my dGPU (PNY GTX560 Ti product link) fan that's making the noise. Here's an image of the fan and shroud for reference:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/images/...y_gtx560_6.jpg

I've taken the card out and removed a lot of dust, but the clicking still remains. Temps are fine, even under load while playing BF3 or F12011, and using MSI Afterburner I can ramp up the fan speed with no problem. I know how to remove the fan itself from the card, is there any way to remove the fan "cap" with the blades from the motor part to get some lubrication in there or remove any offending dust? I didn't want to just yank if off and break it if they can't be separated properly.

Another pic for reference: the fan in my card is of similar style to the one below, many blades but no housing like a case fan. I'm sure the fan cap with the blade assembly just pops onto an axle in the actual motor portion of the fan, but I don't know how to safely disassemble and reassemble it.

http://www.islabit.es/gigabyte-8800-gt.jpg

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Unfortunately most computer fans don't really need lube as they run with magnets and not on bearings or something along those lines, you may just be better off trying to find a replacement fan and soldering the connection wires to the new fan, or you may even be able to buy a new fan specifically for that card. I'm not really sure about trying to repair fans, where I work if we get a seized fan or one that doesn't really work as it should then we always just replace it because it's easier and saves a lot of hassle for a pretty cheap item.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Usually, on the bottom of the card, you'll be able to locate the screws holding a graphic card's shroud in place. Sometimes, the heatsink's own struts/base may be blocking them; if that is the case, you'll have to loosen the heatsink's screws first, then remove the shroud itself.

Obviously, this is getting a little involved, but if your shroud is simpler to remove (e.g., it has unobstructed screws), it will not be so bad. Usually, the fan itself is secured in place by a screw or three. That aside, it is very simple. They normally plug into a port on the card nowadays (as exemplified within your second example picture). After you've looked up the fan's specifications, you can easily get replacements:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119133

I can't give you more specific instructions, but this is what you need to know. You can proceed from here by either removing the shroud and replacing the fan, or waiting until your card potentially dies (which, honestly, could be ages from now—noisy ages, but ages nonetheless).

You might even be able to find a guide for doing so based on a watercooling setup - I know back when I meddled with such things people would post videos of how to take apart your card without destroying it to get the waterblock on. Honestly shouldn't need it though, Kohan's right about it not being rocket science with these newer cards.