+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Dual Monitor and GPU Per Monitor Setup Question

I just got a new 34 inch (3440x1440) monitor yesterday, and I am running it alongside a 27 inch (2560x1440) monitor. Of course my FPS has dropped a little on the 34 inch w/ a single 980, and I don't necessarily want to do SLI since not everything supports SLI that well.. any input on the pros and cons of connecting each monitor to its own 980 so they have their own designated GPU and that way I don't run SLI.

Or is that a stupid idea and I should just SLI it up? Ive done SLI before, but never plugged different monitors into different GPU's. Or is this a setup where i just do SLI and then designate them to specific monitors in the control panel?

Thanks for the input!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They wont share anything. It would be kinda like two separate PCs, 1 980 would be running a game on the 1 monitor, the other would be doing whatever on the other monitor. Most likely not utilizing the second 980 to any capacity. If it would be just acting as a low intensity/reference display; it wouldn't be impacting the original 980 anyways.

I'd take a look at what you're actually doing and choose between 980 sli or sell the 980 for a 980ti.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I run a 34" Ultra Wide display as well with two 1080 monitors and everything runs pretty smooth with a 980Ti.

I wouldn't personally SLI since you can throw the money you'd throw down for the second GFX and get something much nicer.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    I run a 34" Ultra Wide display as well with two 1080 monitors and everything runs pretty smooth with a 980Ti.

I wouldn't personally SLI since you can throw the money you'd throw down for the second GFX and get something much nicer.
    For my setup how much of a performance increase would I see buying a 980 Ti FTW Edition from my current 980 SC ATX 2.0

Out of curiosity, what was your FPS In BnS Fiye? The reason I ask is because the game has potato for optimization and that is what I was really concerned about. On XIV w/ the single 980 SC I get about 45+ fps and like 35ish for S rank hunts on max settings. Thats fine for anything XIV related, but 35ish+ FPS would suck for BnS

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I consider anything above 30+ FPS a win. Considering with how V-Sync handles things anything above 30 is satisfactory.

I never noticed any dips in performance with BnS. Honestly the only game that really choke slammed my computer was ARK (Running on Extreme which recommends a Titan X).

Just Cause 3 was silky smooth considering all the issues that game has. (At the same time I'm running 6700K and 16 GB DDR4 Ram.

Ram that I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233863

I'm not overclocking anything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I have the 4970k at 4.4ghz. So I should be good w/ the Ti based on what people are saying. Thanks for the input. Since you have 3 monitors, and 2 of them are at 1080p, then your likely pulling more power than I am.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've kinda been curious about this as well. I have a 570 sitting around collecting dust and I've been kinda wanting to throw it in my PC to drive my second monitor. Granted I have a 980ti I don't -need- to, but it would give me a few extra frames on my main monitor. Only limiting factor is my PSU, have a 650 Gold+, think it'd be enough to drive everything?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I don't know how a different GPU would affect things. In theory it would be fine since its not SLI, but I have heard mixed things over having a computer run two different speeds cards

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You don't need sli for 21:9 1440p when using a 980ti.

You don't plug in each monitor into its own separate card.

As for using the 570, the only thing that could do is be used as a dedicated physx card and you're better off without one when you have a 980ti.

And why aren't people overclocking anything lol?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I have no idea. I start my OC's before I even boot up a game with new CPU/GPU's.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

For my 980, w/e I ran EVGA precision w/XIV i would get the internal directX crash. So I stopped bothering to OC. My 980 Ti came in today so I can see if I still get that issue w/the new card