+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jarhead     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Jarhead

Has anyone seen this movie ? Planning on skipping Dynamis tonight to go watch it. Didn't know if anyone could give an opinion of me either seeing this or Saw II.

If you liked the first Saw movie then you'll like the second. It was teh sex :] I saw it yesterday.

i read jarhead and enjoyed it. from what i have heard, the movie is true to the memoires.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i am very picky about movies.

here's movies i liked from the last 1-2 years, for comparison:
    i heart huckabees
    the life aquatic w/ steve zissou
    batman begins
    four brothers

movies i didn't like:
    almost every other big budget movie

anyway i thought the movie was pretty bad. i'd give the writing/dialogue a 4/10, the acting a 3/10, the cinematography a 7-8 and the editing a 9. i was in the army (a long time ago ) and i think it's common sense that marines, in a war zone, are not going to take off their clothes and pretend to have gay sex to get rid of a reporter. i thought the movie was full of stuff like that - over-the-top "isn't this wild?" scenes that really didn't make much sense, weird speeches that were very unrealistic, and a lot of stuff that just didn't seem very well thought out. i'm a big fan of surreality in movies, when it makes sense. this wasn't surreality-as-tone, it was just surreal because the writing was so bad.

if you want to see battle/action stuff, there's almost none. it's mostly dialogue the guy has with himself and his buddies.

basically it bugged me for being unrealistic. overall i give it a 3/10 - wait for it to be on cable (or download it).

where the fuck is 50 first dates on that list this is blasphemy

Re: Jarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Serif
    Has anyone seen this movie ? Planning on skipping Dynamis tonight to go watch it. Didn't know if anyone could give an opinion of me either seeing this or Saw II.
    Any reason is a good reason to skip dynamis. Jarhead looks good though.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I haven't seen it yet either, but I'm looking forward to, once I get the cash, or someone to loan it to me. XD

>> 50 first dates sucks ass

>> Jarhead rocks, everyone should go see it

Quote Originally Posted by grunion
    i was in the army (a long time ago ) and i think it's common sense that marines, in a war zone, are not going to take off their clothes and pretend to have gay sex to get rid of a reporter. i thought the movie was full of stuff like that - over-the-top "isn't this wild?" scenes that really didn't make much sense, weird speeches that were very unrealistic, and a lot of stuff that just didn't seem very well thought out. i'm a big fan of surreality in movies, when it makes sense. this wasn't surreality-as-tone, it was just surreal because the writing was so bad.

if you want to see battle/action stuff, there's almost none. it's mostly dialogue the guy has with himself and his buddies.

basically it bugged me for being unrealistic. overall i give it a 3/10 - wait for it to be on cable (or download it).
    Not trying to be an asshole, did you actually go through what they did though ? Were you in a war situation ? I understand that in a movie they have to lie somewhat to make the movie better. I knew a few marines that went to Baghdad and Iraq and the videos that they brought back reminded me so much of this movie. I was laughing about everything before it happened and people were looking at me weird because I knew what was going to happen. I actually really enjoyed this movie. And I usually view about 10 movies a week :\ Yes, Yes I am a movie freak.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Grunion, i just got out of the Marines in feb this year, and actually, we did all kinds of stupid shit, one that pops immediately into mind is climbing a tree and playing horseshoes in a typhoon in okinawa japan, while drunk off of johnny walker red label. ages ranged from an 18 yr old PFC to a 37 yr old SSgt. And a really fat aged Navy masterchief. but really the funniest people i have ever met are just about any bored Marine on a deployment, always doing stupid shit, coming up with funny shit to laugh at. Just wanted to make sure that people know Americas finest will in fact pretend to be having gay sex to make a reporter leave.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Working on my 10th year in the Army (Infantry) and have been to the middle east three times. You probably shouldn't preach on reality unless you're sure you know what that reality entails. I've seen some insane things that I never would have thought possible if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.

i heart huckabees fucking sucked so much ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtpayne
    Working on my 10th year in the Army (Infantry) and have been to the middle east three times. You probably shouldn't preach on reality unless you're sure you know what that reality entails. I've seen some insane things that I never would have thought possible if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes.
    Your a Debbie Downer. Now get a real posting name and STFU

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

It is my real posting name, dear. I play on Asura under the same name. I'm in Machina LS. Sorry I didn't feel like making a profile.

----------------------------------------------------
    <insert uber sig here>
    <insert uber gear here>
    <insert uber jobs here>
    <insert humorous screenshot here>

payne is laughing at you on vent Serif...

and so am I

Quote Originally Posted by tiberion02
    payne is laughing at you on vent Serif...

and so am I
    Oh darn. This is why I love the internet. So many suprises.

Truthfully, you sounded like another fag making a stupid flame post.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serif
    Not trying to be an asshole, did you actually go through what they did though ?
    other than being in the army instead of the marines, yes.

yes i know people do crazy shit. i was in one of the "problem" units in the army back when they used to recruit people about to go to prison. we had a drug dealer lock a narc in a wall locker and throw it out a 3rd floor window. we had a guy lose an arm because he was drunk and tried to play tug-of-war with an M113. in short, we had the same kind of crazy shit happens that has happened throughout human history when you take a bunch of aggressive young males, keep them under strict discipline most of the day, take away the feminine influence and give them heavy artillery.

the point of my earlier post wasn't that crazy shit was in the movie, therefore it was unrealistic. it was that unrealistic shit happened in the movie. the colonel does not generally talk about getting a hard-on in front of his battalion. a platoon of hardcore army guys does not pretend to have gay sex in front of a reporter. and a lot of the dialogue sounded overwrought or just clumsy, like a college student in an english course reaching farther than his linguistic abilities carry him.

it's just poorly written, in my opinion. and overacted. like i said, i'm picky. go see it, you might like it.