1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 55 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 4 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 0 hours, 4 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Deciphering Skill Gains: Help required

I require test subjects, for science. I have a hunch/theory that skill gains are increased the farther away your rank is from your physical. I can't prove it with myself alone, and its still a stretch at best. It's just what I'm noticing on my highest rank (which is R24/Lv25) and I'm trying to account for disparities. This is likely a complete waste of time, but whatever. My data alone supports the theory, and it 'makes sense' as it could give meaning to Physical EXP that everybody just ignores.

The data is simple to collect. On my R24, I'll do damage in the 150s(talking with basic attacks) and consistently get procs +20-25 while fighting green-conned Arbor Squirrels in Coerthas. Whenever I switch to jobs in the teens and fight similar conning mobs.. I get procs of +60-70 while doing sub-100 damage to green/yellow Thistletails in the Emerald Moss cave.

It shouldn't be hard for somebody around R21-25 to have a higher Physical than me since I don't do much crafting. On the flip side, somebody just starting out could do the lower-level tests with a lower physical. What Id need is for people who can fit this criteria to simply poke a green/yellow/whatever mob, note damage, and note how much their skill procs are. Like this:

-Rank 24THM, 25 Physical. Green conning Arbor Squirrels, 140-150 damage Darts. Skill procs 20-25.
    -Rank 10CON, 25 Physical. Green conning Thistletail Marmot, 75-90 damage darts. Skill procs 60ish.
    etc

Do not use leve mobs.

My theory is still unproven(likely wrong, but still possibly a factor), but the observation wasn't. Skill procs do indeed deteriorate as you level, but get built back up by having additional party members. The breakthrough/confirmation is all on page one.. not going to bother reposting here. Read!

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I can test for you, but do you have any qualms with people using low level jobs sub-5? I have a few that I wouldn't mind pushing up to around 10, and as a rank 26, I'm pretty sure that that's far enough away to not be an issue.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bring level 1 data for all I care, it'll take more than a few peoples data to make any conclusions anyway. If nothing else, those kind of numbers could be compared to a 1/1 to the same effect.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Level 18 glad, 20 Physical, getting 10-15 Skill Points per proc... not very much...

rarely do I get a 30-60 skill proc. but I have seen it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

State what you're fighting and how much damage is being done as outlined in the OP. These are both factors.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Well I found that there is a skill cap per mob which is 500.

I was parting @ Crabs as a Conjurer and i was caping 500 skill point 1 out of 5 crabs.

Dart Spirit 20~50 sp
    Cure 90~150 sp
    Elemental 100~150 sp

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by lilpepe View Post
    Well I found that there is a skill cap per mob which is 500.

I was parting @ Crabs as a Conjurer and i was caping 500 skill point 1 out of 5 crabs.

Dart Spirit 20~50 sp
    Cure 90~150 sp
    Elemental 100~150 sp
    We've known this for some time now, The 500 skill cap isn't new.

I will say something about skill gains however. It seems Pugilist has the "easiest" time as far as melees go. Anyone with a single attack and/or poor accuracy simple gets the shaft imo. As a Gladiator I end up having to use a weapon skills or Phalanx for big damage just to survive the battles and defeats mob, totally lessening my skill point gains. It fucking blows

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

R24/P29:
    Blue and green-con squirrels, ~150 damage regular attacks, ~20 skill
    Blue and green-con puks, ~110-120 damage regular attacks, ~20-30 skill
    Yellow-con dodos, ~90 damage regular attacks, ~20-30 skill

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I assume you do this for soloer, because when in pt numbers change. For example yesterday I was grinding green/brown con puks at level 25, each skill up gave +5~10. Later I did a duo pt on those, and suddenly they did ~+20 skill. Then I went back solo, back to +5-10. Im lv 25 PGL, PHY31.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Interesting, same mobs but bigger skillups in a group? Will have to test that too, could be that nothing at all is going on except we hit the rank that you're supposed to party. Theory in the OP was based around the fact that I caught up with my physical.. maybe it was just the act of leveling.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mdkuser View Post
    I assume you do this for soloer, because when in pt numbers change. For example yesterday I was grinding green/brown con puks at level 25, each skill up gave +5~10. Later I did a duo pt on those, and suddenly they did ~+20 skill. Then I went back solo, back to +5-10. Im lv 25 PGL, PHY31.
    I can semi confirm this. I used to grind on Cassiopeias and Puks in Cassiopeia Hollow in the early 20s but had to eventually abandon the spot due to too low skill ups (this was in a duo). Last night I went back with a group of four since we were going to do leves and try those Sea Hares you can find in there. The few Cassiopeias and Puks we fought during the time I could see far higher skill ups from than before. I don't have any exact numbers since I didn't pay too much attention to it but I do know I reacted to the sudden increase in skill ups from monsters that weren't good enough for my duo.

I'm rank 28. A difference on atleast 4-5 ranks since I was there last.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Yeah it seems you get like a 100% skillpoint boost per proc action if you duo over solo. Then with 3 people another 50% boost and so on.

Physical 28, Conj 27

Spiritdart on Does near Humbleearth

Solo - 15~
    Duo - 30~

But the Skillgain numbers are also affected by the damage you do, so the weapon someone uses playes another role.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This is why I'm still on BG. I make an observation, post a theory. By the end of page one, people say fuck your theory here's how it really works. Attempting to solidify this when the boat gets to LL, will post again.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Confirmed on two green Fat Dodos. Yes, both green to me while solo.. he joined the group after I found another green one and the con just didnt update yet. Nice job.

http://www.razorbites.com/celeras/partytime1.jpg

http://www.razorbites.com/celeras/partytime2.jpg

New Odin
    BG Level

Is this the same case with guildleves?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Yeah if you do leves the SP rises as more people enter your party - BUT of course you will also cut down the lifetime of the mobs, basically evening it out. The true value comes with mobs outside leves - you need a camp that has lots and lots of mobs, short respawn time and short walking distances.

Then there is most likely a "magic number" where the killspeed of an additional member will not make up for the additional skillpoint boost he brings in.

New Odin
    BG Level

Is there any way to test what kind of bonus skill the guildleve adds on top of the normal skill gain (with or without guardian's favor)?

I'm wondering what the difference between pure grinding and guildleve grinding is (skill/hr wise), if it ever picks up and you can do them more consistently.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Leves randomly give additional skillpoints on procs, even without aspect.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2130/leve.jpg

Going to be a tough thing to test.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The leves dont even come close to the "hunger" of SP needed past 24 or so....

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion View Post
    The leves dont even come close to the "hunger" of SP needed past 24 or so....
    Yeah I've gotten to the point where I'd rather not do them since they seem like a loss of SP compared to normal grinding.

edit: Wasn't there a experience boost depending on your party in FFXI as well?