1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 10 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 49 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -5 hours, -50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 14 hours, 49 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Minor Beastmen/Summoner Info/Dengeki Article

FFXIVcore posted a translation of two articles via Dengeki and Connect!On; it's a bit difficult to determine what is official "info" and what is journalist speculation. Most of it is a rehash of stuff we already know, but one paragraph seemed interesting, mainly about beastmen, mob behavior, and the summoner class (if there is one):

Full article link

Quote Originally Posted by ffxivcore
    “Beast tribe” is a name given to these people from the government. They look different from the people living in the cities and have different philosophies and religions, but they have their own culture and knowledge. Eorzea is now a three-way deadlock between the “people” of the empire and the “people” of the beast tribes, and adventurers sometimes get caught in the crossfire. According to the setting, the two are irreconcilable, but they do say the enemy of an enemy is a friend… not to mention, not all beast tribes view humans as enemies, and there may be those that live peacefully, those that betray, and even those that try to make deals with humans.

As for the normal monsters, their behavior in the field has also evolved. In FFXIV, as in FFXI, monsters can be categorized as passive, aggressive, and linked, but in FFXIV there are also monsters that are in packs or monsters that prefer to live alone. There’s also a food-chain sort of relationship planned.

Lastly, the “summons” existent in other games in the FF series also make their appearance in FFXIV. However, unlike FFXI, these summons are closer to god-like existences, and in order to gain their help, even higher hurdles must be overcome.

EDIT: Just realized this was posted to ffxivcore's website (not something I frequent too often) on Jan 1st, if it's a repost, feel free to lock/delete.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's probably buried somewhere in another thread as its pretty much the same info that we got out of Famitsu. But since you quoted&linked properly, thanks for posting

I never really liked the idea of 'grouped' mobs, unless its painfully obvious that they're all coming together. I don't want to see backs on sight-aggressive mobs, make a perfect pull and have them all come running anyway. At the very least there needs to be some consistency.

New Odin
    BG Level

There's some new info there actually. The news about magic is, as far as I know, new at least.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    It's probably buried somewhere in another thread as its pretty much the same info that we got out of Famitsu. But since you quoted&linked properly, thanks for posting

I never really liked the idea of 'grouped' mobs, unless its painfully obvious that they're all coming together. I don't want to see backs on sight-aggressive mobs, make a perfect pull and have them all come running anyway. At the very least there needs to be some consistency.
    Yeah, their concept sounds more like WOW tanking to me, where tanks routinely have to hold aggro on 4+ mobs. At first I was turned off to it, but then as you get used to it there are actually a lot of intricacies to the style in the same way FFXI's single mob fight's had things like skillchains, etc. All depends on how well the developers execute the idea, really.

Edit: Also, not a big deal, but I noticed I spelled Dengeki wrong in the thread title. Drr.

A. Body
    BG Level

I'd heard of summons existing before, but this is the first time they've pretty much outright said we could use them. It's also the first time they've spoken about melee/magic hybridizing somewhat clearly. 'There are no classes, but you can have a sword and cast at the same time like a PLD or RDM. We're discussing how it'll work.'

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

They have flat out said that currently there will be no "pet" class that ships with the game. If there eventually is a Summoner type class it will probably be released with with a content patch as it was in XI.

Since they had said this many times, I can only assume that what they are describing as "Summons" is the Aeon/Avatar themselves, think Ifrit (who I am sure we have seen in screenshots already), Garuda, Titan, Fenrir, etc as actual beings in the world not unlike how Phoenix, Diabolos, Carbuncle and Fenrir were actual beings in Vana'diel throughout the first two expansion storylines. The line is there to hint at being able to summon them in the future when you are extremely powerful (read in a year or so) and that more so these elemental "gods" will once again be a real and major part of the storyline of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    I would agree completely. I truly miss the more "real" way monsters used their "senses" in FFXI. Monsters in every other MMO since XI have pretty much been where if you get in their 360 circle of aggro they try and kill you. Having real danger needing the use of sneak/invis and hopefully making deodorize actually work and mean something would go along way to making XIV better than any other current gen MMO out there.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nice bit of info there good sir.

A Clawrar is you.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i dont think its really summoner info but summons info.
    SE did say some time back that a pet-based job class is still not being developed yet..
    so the summons must have some other role in the game..

personally I think the primals summoned by the beast-tribes refer to these summons, and since they're considered god-like, it kinda makes sense

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    SE did say some time back that a pet-based job class is still not being developed yet..
    so the summons must have some other role in the game..
    I like to call them "non-player characters" if you will, or NPCs. They will most likely be intertwined with the game's storyline and history.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

these summons are closer to god-like existences, and in order to gain their help, even higher hurdles must be overcome.
    What they are saying is that we have to beg SE for three years before they consider it an option.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

quit dreaming of summons, they won't even give them to us in xi lol

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefami View Post
    quit dreaming of summons, they won't even give them to us in xi lol
    Shiva, Titan, Garuda, Ifrit, Leviathan, Ramuh, Fenrir and Diabolos were given as promised. SE probably realized people only want new Avatars in FFXI just for some new toys then beg for more >.>

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Summons in XI were just that ... toys. Well for the most part. The vast majority of the Avatars in XI were only useful if you had them while you leveled up and even then, they had to make them useful to most people and made those damned level 20 quests (yes I am bitter cause I did them all at 65+ back in the day). When was the last time you used Ifrit on a regular basis? Most of them were and still are fairly a blue moon situation to use over the base 4.

I really do hope we see a Summoner class in XIV sometime in the future. I just hope they can learn from some of the other MMOs out there and make pet classes that work well.

New Odin
    BG Level

You won't see pet classes in XIV, aside from maybe Summoner if you're lucky.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pixie Hawk
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    You won't see pet classes in XIV, aside from maybe Summoner if you're lucky.
    At launch.

There was only Beastmaster at launch in FFXI.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by pixiehawk View Post
    At launch.
    Nope, never.

If they stick to their class system that is, and I don't see a reason to not to.

ES #1 HUE HUE HUE
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Super Bad
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I'm willing to bet derf's unborn baby, that we will see a summoner class in XIV. There is no way that SE is going to make a game with 0 pet classes. That being said, it may be 2-3 years in considering SE is slow as shit.

New Odin
    BG Level

It could be that there will be one. I doubt it though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I think SE isn't too happy about how pet classes turned out in XI so they are hesitant to put them in this time around. My guess is they will wait on summoner type class until they have a better grasp on how they want to put them in.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Nope, never.

If they stick to their class system that is, and I don't see a reason to not to.
    What the hell? Who are you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast