+ Reply to Thread

Sony patents external backward compatibility tech

If this really is for PS2 games, it would be great for all the slim owners that don't have PS2's lying around still.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I have no idea how much it is going to cost or what size it would be but wouldn't a PS2 be simpler?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And Digital Foundry's take on it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ent-blog-entry

My take? Going to be hilarious if the adapter ends up costing more than a PS2 in retail.

so it's a ps2 that plugs into your ps3?

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    so it's a ps2 that plugs into your ps3?
    yo dawg i herd you like PS2s so we put...ah fuck it. this is a dumb idea.

E. Body
    BG Level

PS2 looked god awful on my TV, but fine on the old projection TV I threw out. If this new thingymabob somehow makes games look half decent on my TV, I'm down, but if not, I'll just stick to emulating what I can.

The original hardware compatible 20/60gbs actually had decent upscaling, playing FF12 was much more tolerable than Jaggy City on a normal PS2.

But if you care about really improving PS2 game picture quality, you need to go to PS2 emulators, they can make a world of difference.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kais View Post
    PS2 looked god awful on my TV, but fine on the old projection TV I threw out. If this new thingymabob somehow makes games look half decent on my TV, I'm down, but if not, I'll just stick to emulating what I can.
    I get the feeling the adapter will just send out a 480p signal, and then the PS3 upscales in software like BC-compatible PS3s already do.

I just hope this is a patent for the sake of it (PSP UMD drive + Emulator-in-a-box gimmy gimmy), as I can't see why the PS3 cannot just emulate PS2 with a few months of development, but I guess this route probably profits them more, which is what matters for a business.

Just a shame they never bothered improving the MGS4-PS3's BC (what I have) software in over a year. Some games still have slowdowns and odd visual glitches.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhusky View Post
    If this really is for PS2 games, it would be great for all the slim owners that don't have PS2's lying around still.
    backwards compatibility was removed loooong before the slim came out. like, I would go as far as to say most fat models do not have BC either.

in any case, this would be a bad idea if it was timely, it's just ridiculous now.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'll just stick to my PS2 for retro beasting.

my ps3 is a launch 60gb that I bought used a few months after it was released, I've been thinking about opening it up and cleaning out the dust so it lasts longer, as well as replacing the hard drive with a 500gb or 1tb. Anyone have experience with doing either of those things? I'm guessing it's a simple matter of plugging both HDs into your PC so you can transfer stuff from the old one to the new one?

Apparently all PS3s can play PS1 games, which I didn't know. As for BC with PS2, only the original launch 20gb and 60gb are BC, as are some of the 80gbs (although 80gbs have issues with some games, since it's software emulation whereas 20/60gbs have PS2 hardware)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    my ps3 is a launch 60gb that I bought used a few months after it was released, I've been thinking about opening it up and cleaning out the dust so it lasts longer, as well as replacing the hard drive with a 500gb or 1tb. Anyone have experience with doing either of those things? I'm guessing it's a simple matter of plugging both HDs into your PC so you can transfer stuff from the old one to the new one?

Apparently all PS3s can play PS1 games, which I didn't know. As for BC with PS2, only the original launch 20gb and 60gb are BC, as are some of the 80gbs (although 80gbs have issues with some games, since it's software emulation whereas 20/60gbs have PS2 hardware)
    I've replaced my 60gb HD with a 250gb that I got when Circuit City was going out of business. If you look around a little bit (I don't have the link anymore, lost all my bookmarks with a HD format) IGN did a really good how to video on replacing the hard drive if you want a video how-to.

It's really simple, all you're doing is popping off the cover plate, unscrewing the HD tray (By VERY careful doing this, the screw holding in the tray strips incredibly easily.) Sliding the HD out, unscrewing it from the tray and replacing it and putting it all back in as you found it. All in all takes around 15 minutes, and isn't hard at all.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Takes a third harddrive (or other FAT32 formatted large-storage device) to do the backup process with too if you want to keep all your shit also.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

[[removed]]

Found it.