+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Aegis     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Aegis

Looking for input from someone with an Aegis or is very familiar with the shield itself. I know the magic damage reduction and shield bash are great, but i've heard alot of varying opinions on the block rate/damage blocked. Without actually having tested it and going from hearsay i'm under the impression that the physical damage reduction from a normal shield to Aegis is not an extreme difference.

We're looking to upgrade another relic and considering all of the options and i'm trying to get all the facts straight before making a decision..

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Well most everyone in BtL already know this but I guess I'll share it with everyone else. Recently I've decided to give up on Relic shield, not because of the difficulty, instead I've found out some useful info on Shields.

Come to find out, like most everything else in this game. There is a ceiling to the amount of something you can do. Example: Haste cap, VIT cap, ACC cap ect. Well for shields, there is a ceiling for the amount one's shield can block. Now the shield cap has been proven to be 65% proc rate. Pre-patch for shields, Aegis was given that ceiling outright, thus making it simply uber because no other shield could proc at that rate. Due to the recent patch for shields and PLDs, Shield Mastery with the help of a little + shield skill (need 300 shield to attain 65%) a simple Koenig Shield could now proc as often as Aegis. Now look at the stats on Aegis, does it look that inticing anymore? Really, it's +5 VIT, +5 CHR, +3 Enmity vs -25% magic dmg taken and extra dmg on shield bash. Now, look at the prices of the two, 500k-1m (40 mil for Kaiser shield) vs upwards of 300 mil. I'm not saying Aegis is crap, but I am saying it's just like any other Relic as of late, "better, but only slightly and in some situations actually lesser than an AH'able substitute." To me, I could spend my gil elsewhere and deck out multiple jobs instead of gimping others to make one "slightly better." This decision also comes because of the way PLD is used in end game now, PLD/NIN mainly which I actually prefer at times over /WAR due to haste build and MP saved.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

some Q&A from IRON LS, perhaps it might answer some of your question
    http://ironmog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6549

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i won't pass judgement, but I think that PLD is a fucking idiot for thinking Aegis is only "slightly better" than Koenig. hint: "magic damage" != "magic damage taken from spells like Firaga".

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Apathy (http://www.shardofapathy.com) on Remora has 4 in LS (soon to be 5).

Here's a sample from a Fafnir we did recently; both PLDs in the SS have Aegis:

http://www.shardofapathy.com/images/fafnir_aegis.jpg

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by threevo
    Well most everyone in BtL already know this but I guess I'll share it with everyone else. Recently I've decided to give up on Relic shield, not because of the difficulty, instead I've found out some useful info on Shields.

Come to find out, like most everything else in this game. There is a ceiling to the amount of something you can do. Example: Haste cap, VIT cap, ACC cap ect. Well for shields, there is a ceiling for the amount one's shield can block. Now the shield cap has been proven to be 65% proc rate. Pre-patch for shields, Aegis was given that ceiling outright, thus making it simply uber because no other shield could proc at that rate. Due to the recent patch for shields and PLDs, Shield Mastery with the help of a little + shield skill (need 300 shield to attain 65%) a simple Koenig Shield could now proc as often as Aegis. Now look at the stats on Aegis, does it look that inticing anymore? Really, it's +5 VIT, +5 CHR, +3 Enmity vs -25% magic dmg taken and extra dmg on shield bash. Now, look at the prices of the two, 500k-1m (40 mil for Kaiser shield) vs upwards of 300 mil. I'm not saying Aegis is crap, but I am saying it's just like any other Relic as of late, "better, but only slightly and in some situations actually lesser than an AH'able substitute." To me, I could spend my gil elsewhere and deck out multiple jobs instead of gimping others to make one "slightly better." This decision also comes because of the way PLD is used in end game now, PLD/NIN mainly which I actually prefer at times over /WAR due to haste build and MP saved.
    Problem with this quote is that Koenig is only a size 3 shield. It has a fair block rate with enough skill, but it'll come nowhere near the damage mitigation per block on Aegis.

And that's just the gravy. -25% magic damage recieved on one slot on a tank? That's fucking nuts. Aegis wins.

Seriously, this topic should be locked after that screenshot, case closed.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Narse

That SS makes a good point. Even though block rate might be capped, Aegis I believe has the same damage block % as Tatami, which is @80%. So you have the highest block rate and % damage blocked on the same shield along with the 25% reduction to magic damage.

But that other testimony about giving up makes sense as well, if you mostly use PLD/NIN, you lose a lot of the effectiveness. Wish I could say I've seen Aegis used to its full potential but its probably one of those YMMV situations.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by threevo

vs.

i'd like to see a Koenig Shield do even close that, lowest shield block i've gotten on Fafnir w/o Phalanx II and just Pro IV / Defender has been 52 (maybe 48ish)....i sincerely hope whoever posted this doesnt think Aegis is "marginally" better than Koenig Shield.

PLD/NINing with Aegis is fine too, you really think you couldnt add +3 Enmity in another slot to compensate for a fucking relic shield? I tanked Jormungand in +40 Enmity and i had THREE slots (body/ear1/legs) i could've added +Enmity on if i had the items with +Enmity, the fact is i didnt even need it, i was main tanking off a NIN/WAR from 80% to 10%, then we both died from unlucky bullshit. Koenig Shield has nothing on Aegis, end of story.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Narse

holy shit...

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

From these SS's, anyone saying Aegis is an "ok"item needs to get their shit checked and uninstall FF. I especially liked the "Aspid hits for 1 hp of dmg part"

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Can you get the same proc rate on CoP Wyrm or AV? I've trouble justifying the price tag of 300m, when you could gear 3 war/nin with pimped gear at the same price who take less dmg from fafnir, while dealing more dmg. Or just buy 4-5 krakken club for your LS DRK and zerg the hell out of any HNM.

I'm not saying the shield is bad or anything, but why pimping 1 person when you could pimp many for similar or better result? It also reduce the probability of making people jealous or the probability of getting screwed up when that person quit the game, sell his character or leave the shell.

[edit]

Are those picture the "average". I've seen picture of shadow mantle nulling 1 ws and 3 attack in a row, but it sure as hell wont happen every time.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

25% magic dmg = y hello thar citadel buster oooh that tickles.

No those pictures aren't average, I'm only a taru BLM but I watched the damage on a tiamat pretty closely after we got one in our LS, and it was certainly a high blockrate but I didn't see any huge block streaks like that.

In response to sinus' posted SS... well, dont take this the wrong way, not intended to be a flame... those SS dont really prove much... % Block Rate, % Damage mitigation parsed from an entire fight are much better ways to determine effectiveness than 1 hit "wow" screenshots.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

10 hits in a row dude <_< that's no 1 shot fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    lol /nod Aurik...

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

lolAspid. 1 damage ftw.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Those are fucking impressive numbers. Seems it's more useful than I ever imagined.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast