Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Rampart Magic Shield Effect.

We know that the magic shield effect of Rampart is affected by VIT, and I was wondering if anyone has done some extensive testing to discover the damage cap of this?

I tried making a thread on KI, and I've tried searching around a bit, but I've never found any inquiry to this nor any solid information. I know some people are probably going to say or think "Go test it out yourself!" but I'll admit now I'm not talented with numbers and I really can't think of a thorough way of testing this.

If this information is already out and about and has somehow eluded me completely, I apologize and shall give myself a thorough lashing. I also beg forgiveness if this doesn't seem like an Advanced Players topic, but I suppose I consider it one and would like to find out some of the information on this.

Thank you, and again, I apologize in advance if this topic doesn't belong here.

Banned.

BG Level

Re: Rampart Magic Shield Effect.

Nice avatar.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thank you, I rather like it too. >.>

if 1k needles can be reduced by it, that should make it easy enough to test.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio
    It can't be reduced from Cactaurs, no. It's physical damage, not magical, so the magic shield effect doesn't block any damage.

Someone said that when cast by a BLU the damage can be reduced by the magic shield but...I'm skeptical of that, and I'm not really sure how gimp 1,000 needles is in Ballista, nor do I know any BLUs I could test it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo
    It can't be reduced from Cactaurs, no. It's physical damage, not magical, so the magic shield effect doesn't block any damage.

Someone said that when cast by a BLU the damage can be reduced by the magic shield but...I'm skeptical of that, and I'm not really sure how gimp 1,000 needles is in Ballista, nor do I know any BLUs I could test it with.
    that's about what i remembered, but i wasn't sure so i just left it vague. ^^

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

1k needles from cactuars are physical damage but its magical damage when used by a blu, people have posted screenshots of magicbursting 1k needles on light SC's way back when blu's were hitting the 1k needle level ;x

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender

1k needles from cactuars are physical damage but its magical damage when used by a blu, people have posted screenshots of magicbursting 1k needles on light SC's way back when blu's were hitting the 1k needle level ;x
    Ah, all right then. But I still don't know any BLU's that I'd ask to help me test this, only one I knew quit the game a while ago. ;<
    Maybe I can ask around or something, but it'd still be cool if someone else already had this info. >.>

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I could probably also test stuff on Tiamat.

Have a BLM cast Thunder IV on you, record damage and make sure its consistent with no resists.
    Now do that with Rampart up and make sure that it doesn't resist.
    x = Old number, y = New.
    x - y = z Damage it mitigates.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Blue Mage casting 1000 Needles (Magic damage unlike Cactuars') on another player seems like the most logical way to go as long as it still does 1000 dmg in such PvP situations.

Deep Breathing+Wyvern Breath always hits a consitant number based on wyvern's current/max HP.

For example with all my gear on my wyvern hits 536 100% of the time with Deep Breathing on, I could do a test tomorrow when I get a chance in Diorama.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

pretty sure the formula is for every 1 vit=2 dmg absorbed, faf wings do 0 dmg with mine so its gotta be over 250.

according to otherwiki the formula is VIT*2 but doesn't list a cap

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    according to BGwiki the formula is VIT*2 but doesn't list a cap
    Fixed.

I linked it earlier but after rereading OP thought he was asking only about a cap, not the formula itself.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Aye, I knew the formula and whatnot, but what I'm looking for is the cap, because right now I just stack as much VIT as I can for Rampart, and if I'm overshooting the cap I'll switch out some of the VIT gear for Enmity.

I can probably find a BLM to help me test it out, and I might try that soon, but between HNM's I'm trying to fish up angelskins so I can finish uncursing some Hecatomb gear, (Probably about 1/25 or so now.) and working on getting SCH to 37 so I can start working on leveling WHM.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if I get some free time I'll try em out.

What the fuck

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I did some testing on this a while ago, I'm pretty sure it's VIT(1+0.5(n-1)) where n is the number of party members who are hit by Rampart (so it gets stronger when you hit more people with it.) I didn't do a whole lot of testing though, the n-1 value may cap out at some point.