FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Valkyrie Elysium (PC/PS5/PS4) - Action RPG - September 29, 2022

Developed by Soleil Ltd. (Naruto to Boruto/Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time)
    SQUARE ENIX® announced today that VALKYRIE ELYSIUM™, an all-new action-RPG in the VALKYRIE series, is coming to PlayStation®5 (PS5™) and PlayStation®4 consoles and STEAM® this year. Developed by Soleil Ltd., VALKYRIE ELYSIUM draws on the richness of Norse mythology to present an original story set in a world on the brink of destruction, full of danger and fast-paced action combat.

The trailer provides a first glimpse of the game’s protagonist, a young Valkyrie who is entrusted with the fate of the world by the All-Father, the highest of gods and ruler of all creation. She will face various enemies on her quest and must utilize a variety of weapons, magic and the power of her allies to prevent Ragnarok—the destruction of the world. VALKYRIE ELYSIUM calls on its roots with music from series regular Motoi Sakuraba while driving the series forward in a fresh, new direction with classic combat mechanics, such as finishing moves and combo systems, reimagined for an action-RPG. The game also features character designs by Yuya Nagai of CyDesignation, Inc.
    https://valkyrieelysium.square-enix-games.com/en-us/
    https://soleilgamestudios.com/en/

Me: Valkyrie Profile isn't dead?!
    <2 minutes later>
    Me: ...yeah, it's dead.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Me: Valkyrie Profile isn't dead?!
    <2 minutes later>
    Me: ...yeah, it's dead.
    Pretty much

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Did anyone want this? lol

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Did anyone want Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist?

Fuck yes.

Did anyone want *this*?

Fuck no.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ya thats what I meant lol

This looks bland/vanilla as fuck, but I'll still buy two copies just so they can take my money with the eventual hope of them investing it into a real proper VP3.

And you all need to do the same.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So they will make another bland sequel to this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    So they will make another bland sequel to this lol
    Lemme correct that for you, bro:

This looks bland/vanilla as fuck, but I'll still buy two copies of this AND the sequel just so they can take my money with the eventual hope of them investing it into a real proper VP3.

Not buying anything related to anything that can potentially lead to VP3 is not an option.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Im willing to give them a little leeway here. At least it isn't a mobile title. Certainly needs a fair bit of polish to release this year though, looks prime for a "early 2023" delay during the summer.

I'm harsh precisely because they tainted the franchise with a short-lived (global) mobile game. No amount of pity buys is going to convince them a proper VP3 should come of it when they're now 2 games in the hole on the "Nobody asked for this..." meter.

Aside from doing zero to endear me to the potential plot of this entry, I'm going to say the graphics almost looked PS3 era as an extension of them giving as zero fucks as possible. I know RPG fans like to say they don't care, but they do, and the distinction lies in the quality of the stylization. Throw away the logo and a mention of valkyries and would we notice any meaningful difference? Nah, there's generic waifu protag at best.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'm harsh precisely because they tainted the franchise with a short-lived (global) mobile game. No amount of pity buys is going to convince them a proper VP3 should come of it when they're now 2 games in the hole on the "Nobody asked for this..." meter.

Aside from doing zero to endear me to the potential plot of this entry, I'm going to say the graphics almost looked PS3 era as an extension of them giving as zero fucks as possible. I know RPG fans like to say they don't care, but they do, and the distinction lies in the quality of the stylization. Throw away the logo and a mention of valkyries and would we notice any meaningful difference? Nah, there's generic waifu protag at best.
    It does look like one of the "lets test a new engine/artstyle" type of game that SE likes to do when they don't know what to do with a franchise and they want to recover whatever R&D costs exists associated with the new tools.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Ok yeah, thats not encouraging.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Man, Tri-Ace sucks these days.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I mean, is it not impressive that they found the means amid the pandemic to totally mutilate both of their cherished legacy IPs in the span of a few months? If nothing else it's a legendary way to end the studio, like trying to suicide by cop, or getting impeached twice.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Let's get rid of our unique RPG gameplay mechanics and just make it a generic action RPG

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Let's get rid of our unique RPG gameplay mechanics and just make it a generic action RPG
    That's... sort of the strategy nearly every series has been doing. Not necessarily the action RPG part, but making their games generic for the point of mass appeal. Die hard fans are gonna buy anyway, who cares about appeasing them - find new people to buy and enjoy, and hope more people like the turd you put out than liked the original. I guess that's a business win...?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'll still give it a try; at least it's not a mobile game.

And if they give us FF Origins level of memes, then day 1.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Not enough Chaos in this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast