+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stargate [Spoilers]     submit to reddit submit to twitter

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Stargate [Spoilers]

I know there are some fans of this franchise around.

What did everyone think of the Atlantis finale? I thought it was ok, but the pacing was way off. It felt really rushed and would've been much better as a two or even three part arc. I didn't watch Vegas or the episode that preceded it, but it certainly seemed like those were throw-aways that could've made room for a better finale. I was also kind of confused by the Atlantis hyperdrive thing. The writers had it fail just to pull "wormhole drive" out of their asses? Why not just never have the hyperdrive fail and let the city arrive as we expected?

I also wanted to hear what other fans thought of the future plans for the franchise. For those that don't know, the third series, Stargate: Voyag... I mean, Stargate: Universe will begin shooting next month and premiere on Sci-Fi this summer. The premise will be that a group from the SGC discover an Ancient ship and begin researching it's technology when their base is attacked. They flee on the ship only to find that they can't return home and are trapped on the vessel.

As for Atlantis, it will be getting the same treatment as SG-1 and will have it's story continued via TV and DVD movies.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Pretty much agree, felt incredibly rushed and should have been a 2 or 3 parter.

Vegas was a neat episode though, it made no fucking sense at all until the last minute. Not sure if I'd really consider that good or bad, but it was different.

Not too sure about that new series, I just started watching SG-1 >_>;

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I enjoyed Stargate, and Atlantis, I also missed the "Vegas" episode but was told it was quite good so will try to catch a rerun sometime. I'm in the UK so the final episode doesn't actually air for another 2 days, i've read the build up for it and it really does sound kinda... "meh".

I hadn't heard about the new series launching, don't have high hopes for that one.

Ark of Truth wasn't a bad watch though, so hopefully the atlantis continuation will be enjoyable aswell.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewind View Post
    Ark of Truth wasn't a bad watch though, so hopefully the atlantis continuation will be enjoyable aswell.
    Well, it's going to follow what would have been the plot of season six, which sounds really interesting. From one of the producer's blogs:
    "With Atlantis back on Earth, why the hell would the I.O.A. ever let it go? And if it remained, which, by all indications seemed likely, what would become of its occupants, especially Ronon and Teyla? Also, with a permanent station in the Milky Way, wouldn‘t Atlantis, logically, cease to be a launch point for gate travel and, instead, become a research center for Ancient technology?"

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I know there are some fans of this franchise around.

What did everyone think of the Atlantis finale? I thought it was ok, but the pacing was way off. It felt really rushed and would've been much better as a two or even three part arc. I didn't watch Vegas or the episode that preceded it, but it certainly seemed like those were throw-aways that could've made room for a better finale. I was also kind of confused by the Atlantis hyperdrive thing. The writers had it fail just to pull "wormhole drive" out of their asses? Why not just never have the hyperdrive fail and let the city arrive as we expected?

I also wanted to hear what other fans thought of the future plans for the franchise. For those that don't know, the third series, Stargate: Voyag... I mean, Stargate: Universe will begin shooting next month and premiere on Sci-Fi this summer. The premise will be that a group from the SGC discover an Ancient ship and begin researching it's technology when their base is attacked. They flee on the ship only to find that they can't return home and are trapped on the vessel.

As for Atlantis, it will be getting the same treatment as SG-1 and will have it's story continued via TV and DVD movies.
    They had the hyperdrive fail so they could learn that the Hive ship had a stargate they could gate onto duh!

Personally I would liked a 2-part finale but hopefully the add-on DVDs will be good.

Personally Stargate have been my favorite of the sci-fi franchises simply because of the historical references since I'm a sucker for ancient history

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ya I thought the finale was okay, at least it was better than SG-1's. I liked the Atlantis characters a lot more than I liked the stories most of the time. So many were a rehash of SG-1 episodes with a few things different. Or even a rehash of their own episodes.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I wish it had ended on Vegas. We'd have a cliff hanger for the direct-to-dvd part and they wouldn't have rushed it like they did. Everything went incredibly fast. Carson popped up like a leprechaun out of nowhere. Major Davis is still a Major after 10+ years. Teyla left her family in the Pegasus galaxy?

Ronon should have stayed dead for all the good his character does in the show - Jason Momoa should have got out a while ago, the way they treat him. He got some random girlfriend too.

Wouldn't anyone have noticed the tidal wave when Atlantis landed?

Argh, so many inconsistances. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Stargate ever since the film, but the writers can't write for shit these days.

It was nice when they renamed the ship in remembrance of Don S. Davies.

Can't believe they got Robert Carlyle for uh, whatever they're calling the next series.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    I wish it had ended on Vegas. We'd have a cliff hanger for the direct-to-dvd part and they wouldn't have rushed it like they did. Everything went incredibly fast. Carson popped up like a leprechaun out of nowhere. Major Davis is still a Major after 10+ years. Teyla left her family in the Pegasus galaxy?

Ronon should have stayed dead for all the good his character does in the show - Jason Momoa should have got out a while ago, the way they treat him. He got some random girlfriend too.

Wouldn't anyone have noticed the tidal wave when Atlantis landed?

Argh, so many inconsistances. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Stargate ever since the film, but the writers can't write for shit these days.

It was nice when they renamed the ship in remembrance of Don S. Davies.

Can't believe they got Robert Carlyle for uh, whatever they're calling the next series.
    Well, for me displacement of water was within my suspension of disbelief. As for Teyla, she's not leaving anyone. The hyperdrive is not the only way to pegasus; with three zpms even from Earth Atlantis' gate can connect to any gate anywhere. Teyla's family is still just a dial away.

I do agree about Ronon. I liked his character and that was a good, dramatic death. It was pointless to do that then wipe it away 5 minutes later.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm extremely disappointed in the series finale. I was under the impression before that it'd lead directly into the movie with a quasi-cliffhanger. Either way, the episode felt constantly rushed. I was entertained, sure, but the pacing of the episode was just awful compared to all the others due to the pacing and rushing. I wish they hadn't shot Vegas and split the final into a two-parter for 19/20.

With all that said, I loved SGA. I'm extremely sad to see it go, but all good things, I suppose. I did like the last episode overall (more pissed with the rushing, I did like the story). With the solid story-telling and production values in the show (plus what they did for the SG1 movies), I have high hopes for the movie.

Stargate Voyager, from what I've heard so far, is sounding to be a disappointment. I'm going to be furious if they canceled SGA for SG Voyager to fail right out the goddamn door. So many loose ends in SGA that could've made another season, easily.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

They pretty much had to do the Vegas episode for the Finale to attempt to make sense. They should have cut some other episode some where to make the finale 2 parts, I just don't think Vegas was the ep to cut.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've only seen a few episodes, but did catch Vegas and the finale. Vegas was a good ep, and obviously needed. It was neat to see the role changes, but the same people in working contact in an alternate universe. One thing I didn't quite buy in the finale was if the ancient technology (and Atlantis rite?) was so omgwtfpwn, why was it getting raped by the hive so fast? I also don't quite see how the guy (john i think? the dude usually in charge) flew into the hive, by shooting it no less, landed and set up his bomb and none of the hive guys (forgot their name) didn't notice. Still, a really nice series I'd love to see reruns of.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So long as we get more McKay and Keller somehow, I'm good. (McKay cause hes so damn funny and Keller cause shes "omg-hot-that-chick-from-Firefly)

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Beckett >>>>>>>>> Keller

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah acting wise

I'm talking about DSL's and tits.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Atlantis storyline to continue in comic book form: http://www.blastr.com/2016-1-25/star...s-comic-series

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

FUCK YEAH

too bad comics are so niche, and for me, hard to get into.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

1 Unread Notification

To myself: GDI what now, someone better not have bumped the Suikoden thread with non-Suikoden 6 news again.

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. :D

I'm not really a comic guy either, but just the fact that Stargate is still alive and moving forward makes me happy. (if only a certain other series would follow suit and come back to life! .... )

I have SG-1 series on DVD, still need to finish watching that. Was such a great show, gonna suck when I'll have to watch O'Neil leave all over again.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    I have SG-1 series on DVD, still need to finish watching that. Was such a great show, gonna suck when I'll have to watch O'Neil leave all over again.
    Didn't they even have in-show references to him "phoning in his performance" near the end of his tenure? I didn't hate him but it certainly showed. Also I'm a bigger fan of Ben Browder and was glad to see him in a similar show after Farscape.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sorry for bump, but for Stargate fans, one of the creators just released a new series on Netflix "Travelers." I'm a few episodes in and enjoying it.