Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick SSR question.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quick SSR question.

Ok... I started leading a Salvage group, we've done pretty good so far. Tonight will be our first SSR run. I have a bit of experience in this zone, but just happen to have 1 question.

We plan on going East on F1 and skipping Hammerblow, then doing SE on F2 and doing Powderkeg. This means we will be on South section of F3. In the central area, is it possible for us to go East and do GG3, then go back west to the porter so on F4 we can skip and go straight to LAC? Or once I open the East door for GG3, the West one locks? That way we dont gotta mess with the chariot on F4 (we don't wanna do CC tonight).

Thanks.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Quick SSR question.

Edit because apparently I couldn't remember if there were doors or not:If after warping up you don't think you have time and don't want to bother with CC, you can just have someone quickly sack the chariot + gear links and have someone pull the chariot off the sacker and bring it to the starting room. In the meantime the sacker can get back up and head toward the porter.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lilswitche
    That's right, when you go the G3G path you end up opening a door before entering which locks the west door. If you don't want to bother with CC, you can just have someone quickly sack the chariot + gear links and have someone pull the chariot off the sacker and bring it to the starting room. In the meantime the sacker can get back up and head toward the porter.
    Uh...that's not true. We do G3G and port up the West side (not-CC) pretty much every time. You only lock the West door if you open the East one first.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

So open the west door, then the east door and go do G3G, then run back west?

There are no west/east doors to the rooms with mobs, only from those rooms to the rooms with porters.

So you can pop gyro 3, have most people fight it while 1 person goes west, sneaks past the archiac mobs and undead, opens door to the portal to 4F west side and waits for gyro 3 to die before porting up.

Also, if you're just doing powderkeg > gyro 3 > boss, you should have time to squeeze in hammerblow too, so you might as well because after the first twenty hammerblows without a drop you'll wish you'd at least tried it this time.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Well like i said its a fairly new salvage group. Most of us have experience, but we go w/ 10 people.

mnk mnk war rdm whm brd PT1.
    war thf rdm blm PT2.

Think we could take Hammerblow, Powderkeg, and G3G + still have time for LAC on our 4th run?

Well, I look at it this way. With the guaranteed drops from Hammerblow room + all the random drops you'll be getting clearing powderkeg and gyro3 rooms, you won't likely have any cell issues so long as you distribute them sensibly, so the only issues are going to be slow pulling 2F and 3F since it's unfamiliar, and possibly--but unlikely--a mistake saccing 1F or linking 2F causing a wipe. However, all a time issue means is that you kill Hammerblow, Powderkeg, Gyro3, time out on boss, and learn for your second run where you shouldn't have any issues. So it's Hammerblow, Powderkeg, Gyro3 with chance of no boss, versus Powderkeg, Gyro3, Boss with no chance of Hammerblow. Since boss has 2 guaranteed drops every kill, looking at it from a long-term perspective it just seems better to take that risk this run, unless you've got someone with 15+35 just waiting on LAC drop or something.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

So on F1 should it not be necessary to really farm cells besides the rooms needed to get to Hammerblow?

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    Well, I look at it this way. With the guaranteed drops from Hammerblow room + all the random drops you'll be getting clearing powderkeg and gyro3 rooms, you won't likely have any cell issues so long as you distribute them sensibly, so the only issues are going to be slow pulling 2F and 3F since it's unfamiliar, and possibly--but unlikely--a mistake saccing 1F or linking 2F causing a wipe. However, all a time issue means is that you kill Hammerblow, Powderkeg, Gyro3, time out on boss, and learn for your second run where you shouldn't have any issues. So it's Hammerblow, Powderkeg, Gyro3 with chance of no boss, versus Powderkeg, Gyro3, Boss with no chance of Hammerblow. Since boss has 2 guaranteed drops every kill, looking at it from a long-term perspective it just seems better to take that risk this run, unless you've got someone with 15+35 just waiting on LAC drop or something.
    This.

Only thing your setup would have a problem with, I think, is too many mp sinks at the start when magic may or may not be dropping. As long as they don't do anything dumb like constantly get hit by AOE/DOT or all of them engaged when mp is low, should be fine.

THF will make Hammerblow a breeze. Get into JA agro range, Tanks target 2 of the fomor, Flee and run , Hide about halfway(maybe less) to start meanwhile 2 down and 3(?) to go. And if they aren't in linking range on the way back they can grab one fast enough that the THF won't have to train them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjarfi
    So on F1 should it not be necessary to really farm cells besides the rooms needed to get to Hammerblow?
    If you have SMN you can always Astral Flow the Walking Dead room and laugh as cells pour into and out of the pool. Risky and hard if you try it so have one guy at porter ready.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

F1 works both ways. You can kill the one fomor in the way, head to the south room, and have the puller pop a hermes quencher, and pop Hammerblow around the 21-22 minute mark. Or you can kill nine fomor, have a puller and tanks and melees and mages equipped enough to kill the six linking fomor quickly and not get hurt much, and pop Hammerblow around the 21-22 minute mark. Your choice really, but I'd suggest one of those methods leaves you better prepared to deal with floor 2.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

What if instead of BLM I go PLD w/ W legs and kite the fomors? I've done it this way a few times (kited the fomors and had one of the mages focus on me). Would that be ok also?

What if instead of BLM I go PLD w/ W legs and kite the fomors? I've done it this way a few times (kited the fomors and had one of the mages focus on me). Would that be ok also?
    Your answering your own question?
    My old group went with as many as you did sometimes and we would only would kill the fomor on one side of the east/west rooms unless we got really shafted on needed cells. I don't remeber specifically if there is any cells that you can only get from F1 on SSR though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

With that setup, you can kill off every NM+Boss assuming no mistakes are made. It will take a bit of practice. SSR is one of the zones that benefit greatly from more people. Bhaflau is the other.

With 10 people it makes sense to clear off the side rooms completely. Skipping them will hurt for a larger group. (More people to share less cells and you have dead weights) Nowadays my group clears the whole 1F and pops Hammerblow by around 20 min, be it 8 people or 11 people. Give every sensible cell to a single mnk + pro V + phalanx II and he can tank all the fomors in the room without breaking a sweat. No risk of a "bad sac" either.

And a better equipped alliance will make the later floors a breeze. 3 min Imps!!!
    If you go the kite route, anyone with ranged attack/magic can do the initial kiting safely. There is no need for flee.

Last run was our best to date, 10 people and Hammerblow > Imp > Gyro1 > Gyro3 > CC > Boss with 14 min leftover. But we have been at this for over a year now so we know what to do.

Considering it's your first run, I would suggest just doing two NMs and boss. Just for lack of experience in the zone.

LAc is probably the only boss where you can't just blow through because of charm.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Runs with 10+ people are a total waste, if you ask me. Personaly, i think you'd be better off training your group to do this with 6 people and send the other 4 to some easy zone (like a parallel silver sea with less targets, or Bhaflau). But if you must take 10 people, what Suiram said is pretty much on spot for an unexperienced group.

There's no doubt you can do all NMs and boss, but you will not do that at first at all, you are gonna make many mistakes. You'll probably mess 1F Hammerblow somehow, your puller may link fomors and imps on 2F, someone may blood/ja aggro by mistake, someone will link a door in 3F, maybe you'll mess up when running to the porter on 4F, who knows.

If you really must do LAC, skip Hammerblow, but it would be good you practice the Hammer > Powder > GG3 > Boss path as this is what you'll want to do eventualy. With Powder's path you will have tons of excess cells, so probably farming two rooms in Hammerblow's side would be enough, but as with anything in salvage, try and adapt to your group... there is no general perfect way of doing things for all group combinations, that's the beauty of this event as opossed to others.

New Merits
    BG Level

Well like i said its a fairly new salvage group. Most of us have experience, but we go w/ 10 people.

mnk mnk war rdm whm brd PT1.
    war thf rdm blm PT2.

Think we could take Hammerblow, Powderkeg, and G3G + still have time for LAC on our 4th run?
    I run a pretty new Salvage group, too, and we tried this route in our first SSR attempt and killed LAC with 7 minutes to spare. Not going after CC on the 4th floor saves a ton of time; we just run straight through avoiding gears and have the THF flee the rest of the way to the teleporter once we're halfway through. From what I understand, it's really not that much more time to do Hammerblow than it is to go to the East side, so there's no reason to skip it, really. Just make sure you have a fast puller on the 2nd floor, since Powderkeg's room can take awhile to clear.

i would suggest doing the NMs and seeing if you have time for boss. 25's are great, but they're useless w/o the 35's. ssr35's are rarer than an effective GM and you're going to need as many trials on each NM as possible if you want to see drops. in contrast, you generally only need a handfull of boss runs to get any target 25 you might want. you'll be drowning in 25's before you know it and regretting passing up the attempt on usu head if you skip over it. try the NMs. if you time out on LAC, you time out on LAC. that's just the way of it. you'll get it long before you need the 25 to finish a piece.

Well about training those fomor on F1 to kill then pop Hammerblow.. I think it would be more worthwhile to have THF do the training since they probably don't have incus at all by then and even if they don't have JA or movement speed gear equipped, if they brought/found a hermes they can easily do it. Sure ranged/magic will work too. Probably give THF first ranged so he can pull them, since he probably is pulling 2F for you too. Just remember to minimize the time as best as you can if time is a big cincern. Send someone to porter when Hammerblow is 10% etc

ooops hit quote, meant to hit edit.

Misspelled concern, sue me.