+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lunar: SSS     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Lunar: SSS

After getting really bored I decided to play one of the several old school RPGs I have lying around.

After reading reviews on all the choices I decided to play Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.

I'm about 4 hours into it and I'm a bit disappointed. All the enemies are ridiculously hard. Majority of them can hit for about 1/3 of your HP and your inventory is limited to carrying small amounts of HP/MP recovering items, which are better saved til the Boss 'cos they're much tougher anyway.

Another thing is the characters and the story. It seems to move very fast without giving the player a time to take in what's going on.

Luna just randomly decides to not get on the boat w/ the other two guys and go back home. And is just as quickly persuaded otherwise at the last second.

Then the fat kid decides to randomly stay in the big city and work in a shop.

Does this game offer more than this? Or is it going to continue like it is? From the reviews I hear Luna will be kidnapped, so I'm looking forward to that and hoping it's a good turning point in the game.

But everything above, coupled with the really bad voices just makes me want to play Grandia again. Superior story, voices, battle system.

So, for anyone who has completed Lunar can you tell me if it's worth persevering?

Many thanks.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

To me it was worth playing, the story was pretty cool. A few nice plot twists around the end, but fighting can get difficult at times.

You're gonna hate a few certain bitches who won't be named yet later on lol.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

this game was one of the few i can honestly say that offers a challenge cause overleveling in this game actually fucks you over more than if you do a fight at the normal level... that in itself makes this game so much win.

Xavier

Topic says Lunar: SSS, but your post says Lunar: SSSC, so I'm going to assume you're playing the PS1 remake/port by Working Designs, which was amazingly well done.

It had a really great translation, fun voice acting, good story, gameplay wasn't standout but it was fun overall. I def. have fond memories of the game, but yeah, it can be difficult in places. Damn...I'd do anything to go back to 1998 or so.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If Luna stays in Burg, he's got to be playing the original version on Sega CD. That and the original Lunar 2 Eternal Blue were both HARD. Lunar 2 especially is in my opinion the hardest RPG ever made (thankfully fixed in the awesome remake).

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial
    makes me want to play Grandia again.
    There was a quality RPG, loved that game. Too bad the follow-ups never really captured the same magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial
    makes me want to play Grandia again.
    There was a quality RPG, loved that game. Too bad the follow-ups never really captured the same magic.
    Agreed, I loved that game. It shocked the hell out of me when I heard the voices, I think that was the first RPG I played that had voice acting it in, not great voice acting but better then I would've expected.

I was always disappointed about grandia's follow ups.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Yeah I recently got copies of both Lunar: SSSC and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue off of EBAY. Lunar: SSSC is pretty tough. I am at a dungeon right now where I can't use weapons and I have no healing magic whatsoever and I only have 3 people. I gave up in frustration lol, but I plan on picking it back up again soon.

I used to have ISOs of the original Sega CD versions that I played on an emulator. I got probalby 1/2 through Lunar 2: Eternal Blue before I stopped playing it. It is pretty rough too at times.

The GBA version of Lunar: SSS is pretty easy though from what I have played from it, also they changed up a bunch of stuff, like having Nash in your party almost immediatly and then later having to save him from some pirates.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Grandia 1 was the best Grandia of them all and Gadwin fucking owns.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Both Lunars were amazing, and thankfully the second one remedies the inventory issues of the first.

Also, I liked Grandia II better than I <_<

Yeah sorry, I meant SSSC. The one for PSX. Luna decided to stay in Burg or whatever it's called but then jumped on the ship at the last second when Alex told her to come.

I guess I'll keep playing and hope the story picks up. Iin the meantime I went back and played Legend of Legaia and it's a nice change of pace.

Thanks for your opinions. I'll hunt this thread out in a few months again when I complete it

Relic Shield
    BG Level

legaia /shutter

i try playing that game now and it's so hard, psp has better gfx

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kazen
    Powers of the Universe, HA

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Lol, Gadwin's secret move! Dragon King Slice!

Sue probably had my favourite quotes RAH RAH RAH!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Lol, Gadwin's secret move! Dragon King Slice!

Sue probably had my favourite quotes RAH RAH RAH!
    TBH I was happy when I got rid of her. Annoyed the crap out of me... Rapp has my favorite quotes.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Burn to a crisp!

Oh god, now I gotta go back and play Grandia. So many memories

Lunar SSSC doesn't have the best story ever, but after I played it, it was one of my favorite games for a very long time. I eventually grew attached to the characters (except Nash), which doesn't happen very often to me. I actually wanted Alex to save the girl, so I kept playing. When I beat it, I actually felt for the characters, not just "oh thank god it's over...I wonder if they have an easter egg after the credits". (They do!)

I think that Working Designs is one of the reasons I liked the game so much. They did a pretty good job on localization, plus it was kind of nice to get a game that came with more than just a black and white instruction manual. Little touches like "I bet he ate his Wheaties!" went a long way for me when I was 14, and still amuse me today.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Dont forget the bloopers at the end of the game that you could listen to lol (lunar 1 and 2)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I thought it was overrated. While I didn't hate playing through the game, it was extremely cliché compared to the other RPG out there, even SNES one. I can't stand 12 years old hero with no character development other than "I WANT TO BE THE GREATEST ADVENTURER/HERO EVAR, AND LUCKILY, I WAS THE KID DESTINED TO SAVE THE WORLD ANNOUNCED IN THE PROPHECY". The final sequence of the game isn't that bad I supose, but it's nothing new if you watch anime and play many rpg.

I'm going on a guess that people enjoyed it because it was one of the first anime video game they played, and character grew up on them more than the ugly sprite we were used to. Kinda how Wild Arm 1 became overhyped for having one of the most awesome intro on psx.