Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Half a billion gil...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Half a billion gil...

No, I'm not going to ask what I should do, or what you would do, with half a billion gil. Instead, I'm going to tell a story about what I've already done with it all.

This post is about a new way to run Dynamis. Actually, it's not so new anymore, because I've been doing it this way for just over two years, and I'm not the only one. I probably wasn't even the first, but when I started this endeavor, there certainly weren't many others. This isn't the first time I've talked about it, but it will be the first time I've talked about it here on BG.

And no, this isn't some hypothetical scenario. It's not "I'm going to do something cool" or "hay guys, I have a (stupid) idea that's going to change the game forever!" This is about what is actually possible, because it is what actually happened.

In late 2007, I took over leadership of my Dynamis shell. In conjunction with that, I cut off our outside sponsors and declared that we would continue as a self-funded, profit-sharing linkshell. All currency was to be sold at market value, with profits split between members based on attendance on a monthly basis. We already had an attendance and AFv2 tracking website, so I added all of our financial data to the same system. Every detail was made viewable by all of our members. I loaned the shell a couple million gil to get started, as did one of my sackholders, and we went to work.

The shell at the time was about a year old, and had been struggling to maintain membership. Most of the original members were new to dynamis, and quite a few of them were new to endgame entirely. We had progressed to the point where we could routinely win cities, which was good enough to attract a few "advanced" players, but there really wasn't much to talk about. We had done Xarcabard a few times... even attempted the Dynamis Lord once. Relics dropped. People came and went. Etc. etc.

By the second month, we had repaid our loans, established a cash reserve to sustain us while currency sales were pending, and had enough left over to make a small payout. Members were happy to get something, though it wasn't much. Our struggles continued, and the next few months brought more of the same. But by the spring of 2008, word had spread. Membership and profit were on the rise. In March, we obtained our first RDM hat and finally killed the Dynamis Lord. Of course other shells had done that long ago and many times since, but it was a major milestone for us.

So, fast forward to the present. We are a bit more selective about who we let into the shell, but we still welcome people who are new to endgame. A typical month will see us visit 2 cities, 4 northlands, and 2 CoP zones. In cities, instead of aiming for a win, we're disappointed with anything less than a full clear. Northlands are profitable, even when we're not mercing animated weapons for other shells. We've kept our profit-sharing model, and our typical monthly payout for full attendance, per member, is around 1M gil.

That's not really a lot, considering the number of hours spent in dynamis, and a lot of members could do better simply farming. But it has done wonders for our recruiting (we don't spamvertise with /sh in whitegate) and member retention. For people who don't have a lot of time to spend on activities solely for the purpose of making gil, 1M/month is a pretty decent chunk of change.

And so, with that, last night I handed out our 500 millionth gil in payouts (and then some). What did I do with half a billion gil? I gave it away. Well, not exactly, when you consider that it was never really mine to begin with. But in any case, I've made a lot of people very happy, and that's exactly what I plan to do with my next half billion gil as well. Maybe a few other people will be inspired to do the same.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you're still giving out gil I'll take some otherwise fuck off.

Many shells do this. Nobody cares.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I cried reading this Such a touching story, the generosity almost hurts!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by cpu View Post
    If you're still giving out gil I'll take some otherwise fuck off.
    Typical BG response to a post about positivity.

Bravo Vxsote. I'm glad this system has worked for you and you've been able to keep it up. Here's to the next 500 million.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Wait dynamis runs are massively profitable if one or two people don't take all the currency for relics that cost about 140m each at market value?!?!?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

so....what?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Silly secrets.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If this is advanced, I will be making a thread soon about a story of two young lovers: Zhi + Thorny.

don't understand post?

so you sold currency to pay people instead of upgrading 2-3 relics (5 maybe)? I mean thats more noble then not but also nothing game breaking, i had a shell like that for short time as well, but went under rule if a 100 dropped all singles where split at end of run if you where there at start of it.

most hnmls keep the currency to either A) upgrade a persons relic that has the points to, or B) will pay for the last stage. If you do A you will build relics slowly, but B will provide a large amount of them in a relatively short time since the shell is refunded 3k of it, really meaning they only shell out a little, and half a relic cost only round 60m~ depending the one. Any player can farm up 60m if they put their mind to it with some luck. thats roughly a year and bingo you got a relic.

however if your in a dyna only shell that does nothing else this obviously doesnt work well....

Also last thing to think about, even though you gave some members gil and all it probably was not worth the time put in per gil. They probably came for relic and not the currency though that is a bonus. meaning you could have not given out gil and got some hardcore members relics that would then have increased efficiency in the shell. Whereas now you have 500m (most im assuming not in ls anymore) running around not benefiting the shell. and the 10m~ gil top players would have received in this time could be a relic realistically instead.

neither way is wrong just playing devils advocate!

Masamune

Indeed that's what the dynaLS i'm in do also, with still a major payout difference of like 500k-600k/month for full attendance, not 1M XD (Hades). And that since mid-2008 if i remember correctly.

While this sytem is actually great for casual players regarding monthly fee/time spent farming, and membership retention like you said, main drawback of that system is kinda impossible to hope for relic sponsoring.
    We tried for a few months a compromised system with 1 of the 8 monthly runs, sponsored by one member upgrading a relic, but he/she figured it's useless since would earn him/her only 200-500 currencies/month for the relic, ie 2 years+ at this rate w/o external investment.(not even talking about payouts cut off a bit from missing 1/8 money).

Regarding recruitement, we don't shout either, but noticed most advanced players consider Dynamis like "boring" and would join a dynaLS only if possible to help them upgrade their relic.... so not much hope recruiting great players.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Would have been cooler if you RMT'd it or kept it all for yourself... I'm just sayin.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Would have been cooler if you RMT'd it or kept it all for yourself... I'm just sayin.
    500m is.. D:!!!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Wopa is pretty cool alright.

Really? I'm going to make a thread next time i get another job to lvl 50.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Splitting dynamis money is the only correct way. Sure, people with relic are going to say otherwise, but they are all freaking lootwhore.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Not to mention relic holders aren't guaranteed to stay in that Dynamis LS after they get their relics.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

our ls split all the gil at the end of the month. idk what's so unique or secret about it, just because others don't.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunnz View Post
    Wopa is pretty cool alright.
    umad

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast