Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

A Retrospective Gushing about FFXI. Love it, bitches!

So I know I'm totally openning myself up to abuse here but I'm not really in the caring place right now. I write geekless reviews for an online magazine and they, having heard about my severe addiction to a certain game, asked me to writh a "For the love of..." feature concerning, you guessed it, Final Fantasy XI.

Those of my old FF contacts who've read it said that they thoroughly enjoyed it so if you fancy reading one fellows masturbatory words for virgin ears then check it out.

For the love of... Final Fantasy XI

P.S. Pissflaps

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

uhp read up to "With the exception of Puppetmaster" and unsubscribed to your newsletter and rated you down

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    uhp read up to "With the exception of Puppetmaster" and unsubscribed to your newsletter and rated you down
    I came this close too. PUP can actually do damage very close to a MNK now, not to mention the automaton's damage added on.

Edit: Belittling classes that don't need it I suppose.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    At the time I quit, just over a year and a half ago, they were considered a joke class. Thanks for the feedback though ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dontkare View Post
    I came this close too. Could have picked a job like BST or something. PUP can actually do damage very close to a MNK now, not to mention the automaton's damage added on.
    BST has some function though. They're unique in the sense that they can do things and solo certain stuff a lot of other jobs cannot. I heard about the recent updates to PUP but felt that I should have left my original feelings about the game as part of the retrospective. I don't pretend or aim to write objectively when writing a feature. This isn't a review. I appretiate that times have changed, however. ^^

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Buggaton View Post
    BST has some function though. They're unique in the sense that they can do things and solo certain stuff a lot of other jobs cannot.
    What I was going for in that was that BST is still considered the most "lol" job. Not that they aren't useful.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Dontkare View Post
    What I was going for in that was that BST is still considered the most "lol" job. Not that they aren't useful.
    I see. I wasn't trying to pick out PUP and call it a lol-job though. I just didn't see it having a unique niche to fill back then. Every other job had it's uses but I just never saw an application for PUP. Apart from soloing diabolos? >.>

I might be dumb enough to delete my email accounts
    BG Level

It was a nice read, I agree that you can put love in the game. I look back now and I don't regret any of it. I lost the love I had for the game and it just feels bad when I think about it. All that drive for me to get that one piece of gear I always wanted, only to lose all interest once you get what you want. It's bitter-sweet.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by AnsemGeni View Post
    It was a nice read, I agree that you can put love in the game. I look back now and I don't regret any of it. I lost the love I had for the game and it just feels bad when I think about it. All that drive for me to get that one piece of gear I always wanted, only to lose all interest once you get what you want. It's bitter-sweet.
    Yeah, I hated that feeling when I'd quit and realised I probably wouldn't be coming back because I'd done... everything. Short of killing a couple of nasties, that is. We'd set ourselves more and more ridiculous challenges and we'd overcome them too easily.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teia Rabishu
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by That article
    Almost every area in the game has it's own unique theme music
    I only got to here before losing respect. Don't people proofread anymore? Call me old fashioned, but that whole article reeks of not applying a professional writing style followed by lack of proofreading/editing.

Also, Elvaan being "weak minded" but having the highest MND stat?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Narol View Post
    I only got to here before losing respect. Don't people proofread anymore? Call me old fashioned, but that whole article reeks of not applying a professional writing style followed by lack of proofreading/editing.

Also, Elvaan being "weak minded" but having the highest MND stat?
    Two very good points. It's written to the Guardian Style guide which is the standard style guide for journalism in the UK. I certainly proof read it but I'm highly dyslexic. I would have hoped the editors would have picked that up so I'll mention it.

Elvaans had piss poor intelligence and not the best MP pool. That's two poor areas in their three, what I'd call, mental stats. So what... they could get paralyze to proc slightly more often than other races? It's a geekless website. It's written with non-gamers in mind and if one race is particularly bad (comparatively) at doing damage with spells due to a lack of intelligence I think it's fair to call them weak minded. Plus the Elvaan NPCs are a little... slow...

Thanks for the feedback ^^

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teia Rabishu
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I get why you said Elvaan are weak-minded, but with a stat called Mind, you really should've picked another phrase, gamer audience or not.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Narol View Post
    I get why you said Elvaan are weak-minded, but with a stat called Mind, you really should've picked another phrase, gamer audience or not.
    My brother made this point when he read the article. I think another phrase would have been more sensible. Oh well ^^;