+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Connection issues on XI(new router suggestions)

Over the past couple of weeks I've been having some infrequent connection issues on FFXI. I can be doing anything, and then all of a sudden the disconnect icon will appear next to my name even though I am not R0ing. I can still have live chat during this process (as in I still see people shouting/talking in linkshell/in tells). After about a minute of the disconnect icon, it finally starts to R0, leading me to eventually get disconnected. The problem is, once it starts, it doesn't stop and continues for hours.

When I get disconnected I get the message saying the server has detected a time-out (iirc) and then the message to check network connections and so on. My internet through Firefox also acts like there has been a temporary disconnection during this time and won't load Web pages for a few seconds.

info:
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    Linksys cable/dsl router with 4port switch model BEFSR41v4
    I set myself to a static IP identical to the one on my old computer (this is a new computer; however, this happened to me on the old one, as well).
    No one is downloading torrents during my play time.
    There is one other person on the home network.

As a side note, this happened to a friend one day, too, but he is in a different state, so not sure if that is relevant or not.

Anything else anyone needs to know I will be happy to provide.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Problem solved, router needs to be replaced. Right now I'm borrowing a friend's NetGear 5-port switch, but I need a router due to massive torrenting and not being able to configure a switch for port forwarding and such.

So any suggestions?
    I need a ***wired*** router, with a minimum of 4 ports (3PCs and a laptop to connect). I don't want another Linksys BEFSR41. I've heard things about D Link and NetGear, but have yet to try out a router from either one.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Anyone have any ideas? I'm still having this problem.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There are a few things you can try:

1. If you have any applications which use the internet or scan files while you're using FFXI (e.g., an active anti-virus scanner, a download application aside from something torrent-related), try deactivating them and playing like that for a while.

2. Keep an eye on your router when this happens. Is its Internet/WAN LED turning off, blinking, or changing colors? You may be getting sporadic disconnects. If this is happening, you should call your ISP.

3. If what's described in step 2 doesn't happen, and to rule out the router, connect your PC directly to your modem. If this is not possible, log onto the router, go into its "Advanced" settings, and set up your IP as the DMZ Host. Play around on FFXI for a while and see if you still get the disconnect.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ok, tried the DMZ thing, doesn't seem to work for me. I also tried changing the static IP I assigned, also didn't work. I suppose I'll call Comcrap tomorrow to maybe come out and make sure someone didn't clip a wire somewhere outside mowing the lawns.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Before that, try this. Connect your pc directly to the router.

Go to command prompt ( i dont know how to do in vista).
    Type "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew".

Connect your pc back to router, and restart the pc, router and modem. It might be work.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Yeah I tried flushing the dns and renewing it. I also tried connecting the modem directly to the PC instead of through the router, which encountered the same problems. I changed the wire to a different port to make sure it wasn't the port, but no luck there, either. According to my modem's eventlog, 2 days ago and previously (unable to track the date/time) it suffered a DHCP critical fail. I'm not sure if that is the problem, I don't know enough about DHCP to figure that one out.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A DHCP critical fail may sound scary, but it isn't necessarily. Also, when you said you logged onto your modem, I'm assuming you meant you logged onto your router -- unless you have a modem/router hybrid? But if you connected directly to the modem, I'm pretty sure they're separate. All right, then.

Try disconnecting the modem itself -- not the router, though it won't hurt to reset that during this process -- from your internet connection for a whole minute. You really only need to do this for 30 seconds, but a minute makes sure it isn't disconnected for too short of a time. This will refresh your DOCSIS.

If that does not work, call your ISP. Since you already tried connecting directly to the modem, and you encountered the same issues, it sounds like they are responsible.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Okay, so I sat with the Comcast guy this morning for a while doing everything the both of us could think of. What we found out (after replacing the old modem for a new one) is that the router is not connecting with my DNS servers, but the modem is (aka connecting my PC directly to the modem works, but not through the router). It's a pretty old Linksys BEFSR41v4, so I'm not exactly surprised. I'm going to go out to Walmart or Best Buy or something today and get a new one.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, appreciate it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You're welcome, and good luck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Updated OP. If anyone could give me some router suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    I need the specs to be the following:
    ***Must be wired***
    Looking really for a max of 4 ports, but 5 is okay (3PCs and a laptop to connect at any given time, the laptop user is moving out in January)

I don't want another Linksys BEFSR41. I've never tried out a D Link or NetGear router, so any suggestions/comments/opinions I would be grateful for.

As a side note to Kohan: the 5port switch I am borrowing has eliminated the problem, so it was definitely the router, afterall. Thanks for the help again with trying to fix it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How much do you want to spend?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

$40-60 probably. Have my eye on the D-Link EBR-2310; pretty nicely priced on newegg.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Taking this (amongst other articles) into consideration: Conclusion : Cheap Router Roundup

I would suggest purchasing this: Routers – AR504

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Interesting article, thanks