Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bard Staff Questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level

Bard Staff Questions

Sort of a noobish question, I know jack about BRD .

Why do BRDs use Earth Staves? Are some songs earth based? I was under the impression that all offensive songs were light, or is that just Lullaby? Are there any other elements in offensive songs that other staves might help?

Thanks in advance.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Elegy is Earth based, hence the use of Earth Staff. Each spell has it's elemental properties, you can see by the icon next to the name in spell/song list. It's similar to BLMs or RDMs using staves to corresponding spell to land the spell w/o resistance. NQ staves give +10, while HQ give +15 boost of that element.

Edit: Same goes for Threnody. But it's reverse. If you want to land Lightning Thren and weaken monster's defence against Lightning, you'll need to use staff of opposite element, i.e. Earth Staff. Same goes for Dark or Light Threns, Dark Staff for Light Thren and Light Staff for Dark Thren.

Earth/Terra's Staff helps the potency of Elegy (just like staves help the potency of elemental magic, enfeebling magic and cures) so, yes, if you can buy one or the other, it will help.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have a question my self. I'm aware of mechanics of debuff songs and staves that apply to w/e spell I'm using, but when I buff, for example, Minuet is Fire based right? Using Fire Staff, does it prolong the songs duration or increase it's potency?

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    Edit: Same goes for Threnody. But it's reverse. If you want to land Lightning Thren and weaken monster's defence against Lightning, you'll need to use staff of opposite element, i.e. Earth Staff. Same goes for Dark or Light Threns, Dark Staff for Light Thren and Light Staff for Dark Thren.
    Yeah if I'd just unlock BRD and take it a couple lvls I'd have seen that . The Threnody icon matches up to the appropriate staff though right? Like Barfira has a water icon, Fire Threnody would as well?

From my experience with elemental staves, I believe it effects potency. (ie Fire Staff for Fire and so on) I've never tried a Fire Staff for Minuet, but I may have tried an Earth Staff for Minne and found it doesn't effect defense.

Instruments would make songs last longer.

New Merits
    BG Level

I have a question my self. I'm aware of mechanics of debuff songs and staves that apply to w/e spell I'm using, but when I buff, for example, Minuet is Fire based right? Using Fire Staff, does it prolong the songs duration or increase it's potency?
    Has no effect on non-BRD buffs from what I've seen, so it stands to reason that it wouldn't help BRD either.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Aye, same goes for Carols.

/recast "Wind Carol II" zOMG! I want them so

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    From my experience with elemental staves, I believe it effects potency. (ie Fire Staff for Fire and so on) I've never tried a Fire Staff for Minuet, but I may have tried an Earth Staff for Minne and found it doesn't effect defense.
    That doesn't make sense than, while Minuet raises attack, I don't see why Minne wouldn't raise DEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    /recast "Wind Carol II" zOMG! I want them so
    I'm so glad I can bitch about both sides of the coin now. :D

Black Belt
    BG Level

staves don't effect buffs.

hehe i'm not so keen on seeing carol II's
    /recast "Mage's Ballad III"
    then /recast "Refresh II" (and start smiling cos it doesn't even exist in game system /grin lol)
    /recast "Massacre Elegy" (oh yeah baby cop one from Roc or Sim, its a solid 50% slow
    /recast "Moogle Rhapsody" (maybe calls a nomad moogle lol)
    actually a bard has a lot of songs programmed in, its just when SE will release them

oh yeah theres also /recast "Horde Lullaby II"
    of course theres line V up to VIII of some spells
    as well as a 3rd level mambo, march and the likes O_O

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't remember, but isn't there like AM2 (Flare, Burst, etc) /recast also?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

yes ;3

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The only RDM-type buffs that seem to be affected by staves are sneak and invis. And even that benefit is dubious at best. (Sadly, the best proof is that ice staff makes sneak and invis wear off quickly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy
    /recast "Moogle Rhapsody" (maybe calls a nomad moogle lol)
    That's thinking hopeful, but things like Goblin Gavotte don't summon helpful Goblins

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    The only RDM-type buffs that seem to be affected by staves are sneak and invis. And even that benefit is dubious at best. (Sadly, the best proof is that ice staff makes sneak and invis wear off quickly.)
    Spikes! lol

Edit: Why ta fuck are there only 3 of them? Aquaspikes (Add Effect: ??? ), Terraspikes (Add Effect: Slow), Lightspikes (Add Effect: Blind) and Dark Spikes (Add Effect: Drain? )

Black Belt
    BG Level

Edit: Why ta fuck are there only 3 of them? Aquaspikes (Add Effect: ??? ), Terraspikes (Add Effect: Slow), Lightspikes (Add Effect: Blind) and Dark Spikes (Add Effect: Drain? )
    Fire - Blaze Spikes
    Ice - Ice Spikes
    Thunder - Shock Spikes
    Water - Aquaveil
    Wind - Blink
    Earth - Stoneskin
    Light - Phalanx
    Dark - ???

i dunno when horde lullaby II was programmed in, it wasn't there from the beginning like moogle rhapsody tho

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Err, spikes give additional effect towards monster, i.e Shock Spikes = Stun, Ice Spikes = Paralyze. >.>