Thread: Is it still Sam or gtfo?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Is it still Sam or gtfo?

Finally unloaded my account after being deactivated since last yr. It got me thinking about the game again though.

So, with new lvl caps do SAMs still rule dps in most situation? Are brd still pt crack? What is best healer and tank now?

Looked through otherthread titles didn't find similar.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Bard is still as in demand as ever. Monk is putting in a very serious challenge for best non-relic DD with ridill-claws and footwork, though Samurai and Warrior are still very strong. Best healer and tank, as always, depends on the mob/situation, though rdm tanking is now dead.

Banned.

BG Level

War has always been better than sam, and war has sekka now, putting them a littler further ahead. Otherwise, yeah oa3 claws mnk is best atm, followed by war, and sam follows closely behind war.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Dooom View Post
    Bard is still as in demand as ever. Monk is putting in a very serious challenge for best non-relic DD with ridill-claws and footwork, though Samurai and Warrior are still very strong. Best healer and tank, as always, depends on the mob/situation, though rdm tanking is now dead.
    lolwut? Not for lowman. I guess if you were using Rdm to tank conventional mobs that's changed but it's not like most fights aren't DD tanked now which a Rdm isn't going to hold hate against anyways.

Also on topic the reason why people like Sam so much is they have both seigan+TE and utsetsumi which means they probably have as much survivability as if not more than a Mnk as a DD tank. War still is a comparable DD tank though a lot of people would disagree.

let's see how long we can make the rdm tanking isn't dead discusssion last, where is taruking.

OA3 is hardly required for MNK to be top-tier, it barely edges out STR/Attack claws if you have proper gear. RDM/NIN tank is dead, but /drk is still very viable for fights such as JoL and Ouryu. MNK and SAM are the new standard for good shells on most mobs, with PLD for things that can't be melee damaged effectively.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    lolwut? Definitely not for lowman. I guess if you were using Rdm to tank conventional mobs that's changed but it's not like most fights aren't DD tanked now which a Rdm isn't going to hold hate against anyways.
    Right, just spam cure4 40 times for CE, it's not like it goes through a full mp bar in 30 seconds or anything like that.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by rog View Post
    Right, just spam cure4 40 times for CE, it's not like it goes through a full mp bar in 30 seconds or anything like that.
    There's a lot of things you can low man with a couple rdm "holding hate" quite easily due to not needing much hate to keep it on you anyway.

Cuelebre with 2 rdm and a couple smn is a few minute fight, for one very simple example. Of course, you don't need nin sub for that anyway, but you don't need drk, either.

Sure, it's not tanking wyrms and shit now, but it's still as good as it gets in a lot of smaller situations.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Sure, it's not tanking wyrms and shit now, but it's still as good as it gets in a lot of smaller situations.
    Wyrms are pretty much what rdm was good for. Anything easier and you use sam, or drk.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

yeah oa3 claws mnk is best atm
    Stop listening to BG trash and taking it for . Keep in mind that only select people here know what they're talking about.

Wyrms are pretty much what rdm was good for. Anything easier and you use sam, or drk.
    Sam is a really good tank for Tiamat (and was at 75 too). Nice to have a non-melee as a co-tank though.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FailureMidgard View Post
    Sam is a really good tank for Tiamat (and was at 75 too). Nice to have a non-melee as a co-tank though.
    Ehh, i don't know if i'd want to risk roar.

Ehh, i don't know if i'd want to risk roar.
    I don't know if I'd want to fight Tiamat for much more than 15min. Our fight today I think had 3 roars, 2 were even back-to-back and it was a little scary for a second or two, but wasn't really a big deal. Was Sam/nin + AegisPld as the 2 tanks.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

^ I think this is more what killed Rdm tanking people learning that they can DD tank almost everything in the game.

Damn though look what I started. XD

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    ^ I think this is more what killed Rdm tanking people learning that they can DD tank almost everything in the game.

Damn though look what I started. XD
    Cept, it's been known for a long time, and people liked rdm still pre-80 patch.

Also, in response to your earlier post, Sam also has more PDT and MDT available than mnk afaik (or maybe I'm underrating mnk).

Banned.

BG Level

Also, in response to your earlier post, Sam also has more PDT and MDT available than mnk afaik (or maybe I'm underrating mnk).
    Mnk can use darksteel, and arhats.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Cept, it's been known for a long time, and people liked rdm still pre-80 patch.

MNK now has Lore gear available to make up for the lack of Coral, but yeah, SAM still has a little more available, as well as a little more PDT from Gavial/Hydra HQs. But overall the difference is minimal, and obviously MNK has more of a HP buffer, Counterstance, Chakra/Invigorate, native Subtle Blow traits and Penance.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    OA3 is hardly required for MNK to be top-tier, it barely edges out STR/Attack claws if you have proper gear. RDM/NIN tank is dead, but /drk is still very viable for fights such as JoL and Ouryu. MNK and SAM are the new standard for good shells on most mobs, with PLD for things that can't be melee damaged effectively.
    Actually a little behind in any situation you have fighter's roll (Due to it's lack of worth a fuck for occ attack weapons

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    MNK now has Lore gear available to make up for the lack of Coral, but yeah, SAM still has a little more available, as well as a little more PDT from Gavial/Hydra HQs. But overall the difference is minimal, and obviously MNK has more of a HP buffer, Counterstance, Chakra/Invigorate, native Subtle Blow traits and Penance.
    Unless you're using footwork though, mnk/nin feeds more TP than sam/nin. Subtle Blow covers for the additional TP fed barely and still falls short, only Penance puts it lower. And ya, I forgot about the Lore stuff. I'm not trying to really say 1 is better than the other, but there are benefits sam has that people forget.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

As far as penance goes, it goes a long way. The more ppl you have on the mob the more it's worth in terms of mnk being less of a tp feed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast