Thread: Puppy Biting & Training     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Puppy Biting & Training

My wife and I adopted a 2 month old Australian Shepard/Irish Setter mix (supposedly) from a shelter a week and a half ago. He's a really energetic puppy and seems to learn fast. We've already taught him how to ring a bell to go outside to play or pee/poop with minimal accidents. And he really does well in his kennel.

The one big problem we're having with him is his biting. I understand he's teething and wants to chew on things, but he really likes chewing on my wife and I. Like almost excessively. We've tried substituting toys when he bites us after a firm "No". That works for a very short time, sometimes a few seconds to a few minutes before he's back trying to chew on us. He'll chew on any part of us: hands and arms when we're petting him on the back; legs, ankles, and feet if we're walking or sitting. We've even been trying to yell "Ouch" in a higher pitch to try to get him to pull back, but it just makes him want to play harder and bark. Same with a firm "No" sometimes, even though he knows the meaning usually for other things. I've tried to ignore him as well when he bites, but again it sometimes makes him try to play harder to get my attention back. And if I walk off, he'll just go after my ankles or feet.

Anyone have any suggestions? Also anyone have decent training videos or guides for other things? There's tons out there, but I know some aren't "good" methods of training.

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Hah, he's not biting hard enough for bandages. He's not biting hard enough to pierce any skin, just his teeth are getting sharper and sharper each day. So we're trying to curb the behavior as much as possible before it does become a problem.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Water bottle

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Right now there's not a lot that can be done about it. He is still so young that any training regarding biting/gnawing will be extremely difficult. It's almost certainly a teething issue mixed with puppy insanity. Your can try to get some dental sticks. They are harder to quickly devour and their consistency is a little bit spongy so it may help his teeth feel a little better.

Cloak & Dagger
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Demenic Altreas
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That's what I thought about the chewing. I'm certain it's not an attitude problem. I know he's just trying to play and/or get teething relief. It's just no matter how many toys I give him, he gets bored of them quick and goes after us. We'll just have to deal the best we can until he gets a bit older.

He loves chewing on squeaky toys, ropes, and I got him a chicken Nylabone. Haven't tried dental sticks so maybe I'll pick some of those up on my lunch or after work. Thanks for the tip!

Got a puppy that's creeping up on 5 months old, ourselves. He's taken to chewing on ice cubes when his teeth are feeling iffy. Usually he'll work at 'em until he eventually swallows them, but if you don't mind the occasional wet spot if they forget about it, it's helped for us.

Muzzle? Not for long times, but when he starts to bite, put it on for a few minutes every time. But you said it's teething so that may be a bad idea. Found this online though: http://www.hsmo.org/pet-training/tee...-chewing-1.pdf

Found this little guy begging for scraps at a local Jack in the Box. Vet says he is in good health and since nobody has come forward to adopt him we have taken responsibility. I have the same biting issue with him, except he does break the skin and even bites my chin when I am holding him. So far the best chew toy I have found for him is THIS. (amazon link). It has a treat inside that you can replenish and my pup seems to love it. So when he starts chewing on things he shouldn't (hands included) I put this in his reach and he usually goes for it.

OOC, Do you take it away at any point to make it more of a desired item instead of leaving it around for the pup to always play with? I imagine they'd eventually get bored of a single item like Demenic mentioned.

No, I pretty much leave it around for him. I know he's teething so I want him to be able to find it when I'm not in the room so he won't chew the furniture. If he's just in one of his "RAWR, I'M A PUPPY!" moods, not much will stop him from biting because he's too wired to pay attention to what's going on.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gabai View Post
    Water bottle
    i love that this is one of BG's most treasured responses to anything

my friend from Ghana advised me that I need to beat my dog, he said westerners are too soft and see their pets as people. He didn't suggest malicious beating, but the way a parent does (did, still does in other countries) to make you fear them, maybe in a Machiavelli "better to be feared than loved" way. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed here and the SPCA or whoever would probably have your ass for it (reported by the first person that sees it) but hey, shooting out all possibilities.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

As long as it's not painful biting, just keep doing what you're doing. Dogs don't have hands so this is how they play, and as a puppy all he wants to do is play all day. Bring him to dog parks to socialize him more so he can learn the fine line of good playing and fuckyourshitup playing. As he gets older start becoming more strict on appropriate behavior, like not playing in that manner, by using your "no"s and the crate you should already have as a short time out.

My puppy is almost 6 months now and while he still immediately jumps at feet or hands to try and play, a firm no makes him stop otherwise he gets the evil daddy stare and a swift delivery to the crate for 15min. Trust me, they learn fast.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

We got a puppy on Christmas (rescue, unplanned). She's about 10 months now, still mouthy. We've tried a lot of stuff, but nothing is as quick as a squirt bottle. I am the top dog in our house, so I can tell her (read: shout) NO and she listens. My bf is kind of a puny guy, so he is still trying to assert himself (lewl). I've read a bit about training (The Loved Dog), and it has made me think about how to teach her manners. I'm avoiding punishing her by putting her in her crate because it can build a negative association that is really sad when she has to stay there when we're at work (Friday is her only long stay in the crate, barring errands). Getting up and walking away from her helps, denies her the social interaction and gives her the cue "They don't like that" without building a negative association with you that comes with spanking. I really try to avoid isolating her because loneliness is sadness, and if she has to be alone in her crate, she gets special toys/treats. Try getting her a Kong, they're indestructible, bounce around oddly, can be filled with treats (peanut butter!), and are dishwasher safe.

That's my Honeybear. <3 (And a hole she chewed into my sofa when she was not being supervised!)

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Rawhides are your best friend by the way. Just cycle through brands until you find one they can't put down, lasts longer than a day, and doesn't burn too big a hole in your pocket.

I have an 8 month old Husky since 8 weeks old and for my gf and I that method of making a small whining "ow!" as soon as her teeth even made contact with our skin worked well. Right as you whine you pull your hands (or whatever body part they're biting) away and ignore them. Keep ignoring them until they stop. Our dog quickly learned that teeth make the playing stop.

I read it's something they naturally learn playing with their siblings.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm gonna require everyone that hasn't already to post pictures of their puppies please.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I'm gonna require everyone that hasn't already to post pictures of their puppies please.
    Have a short vid of mine snoring like a buzzsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Here's Luna, from the first day we got her to a hike just recently.
    Edit: My bad. Didn't realize the picture were so huge still.
    Spoiler: show