I had just finished up a semi-budget computer build:

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186146
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148076
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116052

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811148030

(Note: Never buying this case again)

DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151171

I had installed Windows XP and drivers, and was adding on stuff like Office, Anti-Virus, etc... I had then installed the FOX LOGO program that came with my mobo, to replace the Foxconn logo that pops up after POSTing. I ran the program and it got halfway through the BIOS dump when the computer hung-up, I figured it was no biggie and reset the computer.

Now, the computer restarts every time the Windows XP Logo and loading bar shows up. Running XP in Safe mode is also a no-go.

I reset the BIOS settings to default using the jumper on the mobo (confirmed that the settings were reset in the BIOS).

I attempted to use the Recovery option in the Windows XP installation CD, however, midway through the "Windows is checking your disc configuration..." (or something like that), I get a BSOD about the file ntfs.sys:

STOP: 0x00000050
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I figured it was a RAM problem (googling this also said that), so I tried removing and switching around the RAM sticks, and ran MemTest on the comp, it passed every test. I've also tried disabling the L1 and L2 caches on the CPU.

I also ran Seagate's HDD diagnostic utility, everything passed.

I can't even wipe the drive and install Windows XP over again, I crash a little bit after choosing the Installation option.

I made NO hardware changes in-between the first crash and now (besides re-seating the RAM).

I'm absolutely stumped, especially since the computer USED to work before I tried that logo changing program.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank you!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for about 5 minutes (with main power disconnected obviously) and then reboot.

You really shouldn't be crashing when using the windows CD... I'd remove every component possible except one stick of RAM and see if that helps at all. If all else fails, get a USB to IDE/SATA adapter, hook it up to your hard drive and format it and start over.

I have tried resetting the CMOS by using the jumpers, but I'll try removing the battery as well next chance I get.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

The jumpers aren't always that reliable, I don't trust anything except pulling the battery and making sure the board is completely out of power. I even tap the power button a few times to discharge any remaining power.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

See if you can get a floppy/bootable CD to let you reflash the BIOS. It's possible it screwed up the BIOS in general when it froze, not just the startup image.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've unplugged all devices except for the HDD, and have left the CMOS battery out for a good half-hour. No progress yet. However, I have sortof pinpointed what is going on. Windows is able to load all of the files off of the HDD, but freezes at the point where it is allocating resources. Somewhere around here a peice of hardware is causing problems.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...c/31874/?o=140

A 38 page thread dedicated to the type of issue I'm having...

I've read through 8 pages of it, but have not found a solution that has worked yet. It is much too late at night now, but in the morning I;'ll attempt to flash the BIOS and read more through that thread.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Hmm.. was gonna say try doing a step-by-step confirmation, but that's not gonna help if the problem's in the BIOS.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

try all of the little things, like switching out the cables that are connecting your HDD's & Disc Drive's to the motherboard, as well as the floppy cable if you're using a FDD

also, perhaps try using a different Windows XP disc if this is an available option to you

could also be the motherboard itself

I've removed the CMOS battery for a good hour, and have unplugged alll devices except for the HDD, still a no go. Windows at the same point. And the AWDFLASH BIOS flash utility that I downloaded from Foxconn for my MB won't work. I burned the program and the BIOS into FlashCD.iso and tried to boot into it. I booted into it fine however when I input the BIOS filename, the program hangs without giving any confirmation.

RMA the board.

Disregard

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Sounds like your board is screwed man, just RMA it already you're not gonna be able to fix it at this rate

Disregard

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Can you reformat the hard drive now?

Disregard the last two posts, those are OK now.

I've replaced my motherboard with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128078

Apparently, the motherboard was not the problem.

Amazingly, I have the same error (Error code 0x50 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, ntfs.sys) as the last motherboard, whenever I try to install XP, or use the recovery console. And trying to boot into the existing installation results in a restart after all of the system files have loaded (normal and safe-mode).

Everything is unplugged except for the CPU & Fan, HDD, DVD R/W drive, and one stick of RAM. Externally, nothing is plugged in except the monitor, keyboard, and power.

I've tried swapping out the SATA cables I use for the HDD and DVD, and I've swapped my SATA DVD drive with an old IDE CD drive, same result. I've also swapped my RAM with RAM from another fully functional computer. I've also tested out the power supply, al of the rails are working.

I've just burned Ultimate Boot CD and I'm trying out all of the CPU and HDD tests, as those are the only part that remained the same. It shouldn't be the HDD, as the OS can load files from it fine before it crashes.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

For those with a bit more technical expertise: could this be a problem in the CPU itself, i.e. the cache?

I've fully tested the HDD, RAM, CPU (including caches), and have put in a completely brand new Windows XP cd, same problem! I'm 100% stumped now.

I've figured out the problem, all the hardware was working, but the existing Windows installation was corrupted (which is why it crashed when I tried to re-install I think), I needed to use UBCD to wipe the HDD, and was able to install Windows XP again.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

so wait a second

you bought a foxconn motherboard? oh dear lord thank god you RMA'd that (no one contradict me here, you more than likely, do not even have close to the same experience i do with the horrible shit that comes out of the company known as foxconn)

but anyway, yes your issue would have happened with that, and more than likely your windows install was corrupted by the foxconn board>.>;