BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ancestry DNA Tests

So ive been going through a phase of wanting to know more about my ancestry following some people in the family recently passing away and so I wanted to know if anyone on BG has any experience with the various geneology services available online or otherwise.

My inner skeptic needs to be sated before I spend any cash on this. Attempting to do physical research is also an option.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Check your local library. A lot of them have access to a version of ancestry.com. That way you won't have to pay their shitty fee. You can also find the pdf versions of the censuses from the turn of the century online if you look hard enough. Going back beyond that will take a bit of werk and luck.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'd recommend the same thing. Local library. Depending on the size of your system they may even have a genealogy department. There may even be other databases that are more local/regionalized that your library has access to (example here for my area). Even if all that fails and they have no access to that, the reference librarians should be able to point you in the right direction. Unless it's a small system, reference librarians require master's degrees (at least ours do) and should be able to help you find anything you want or at least point you in the right direction.