+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Randy Couture still UFC heavyweight champ

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7349878

Dana White says he will not release randy from his contract, saying "he owns Randy". However, if he does strip the title it'll probably go to a fight between sylvia and Minotauro.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Randy Couture still UFC heavyweight champ

Kind of an old article but ya... Couture comes in to point out the heavy weight title from Sylvia, and wants to retire. Lame... I have a lot of respect for Couture but signing him up just because no one was aggressive enough to take out a defending version of Sylvia, then expecting him to stick around?

Not sure how this is going to play out. Fedor, Couture, Sylvia, Kongo, Nogueira have their hats in the ring for the title now I think. I don't see Fedor, Nogueira or Kongo beating either Sylvia or Couture at all.

I CAN see a Sylvia Couture Fight going either way. Depends on how bad Sylvia wants his title back. Hes aggressive enough to knock out even a veteran. But Couture is experienced enough to win in the same way he won their title fight.

You don't see FEDOR beating SYLVIA? Sylvia has to be, without a doubt, one of the worst champions (or ex-champions) to ever set foot in the octagon. The competition for the HW division was so weak before, which is why he was the champ for so long (that, and him being freakishly tall). Sylvia has no skill, and that was shown multiple times over (ie against Arlovski II, Monson, Couture and Vera). Stand & pray 4tw.

Edit: Nog would also submit him into oblivion, and Kongo potentially has the best stand-up in the HW division. I can see everyone with a tad bit of skill beating Sylvia.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Couture and his lawyers believe his contract expires in 9 months. He can fight Fedor too if Dana or Randy wants it like Randy has often voiced (but turned down 3m to fight him in the past) or Dana adamantly believes Randy would win.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku
    You don't see FEDOR beating SYLVIA? Sylvia has to be, without a doubt, one of the worst champions (or ex-champions) to ever set foot in the octagon. The competition for the HW division was so weak before, which is why he was the champ for so long (that, and him being freakishly tall). Sylvia has no skill, and that was shown multiple times over (ie against Arlovski II, Monson, Couture and Vera). Stand & pray 4tw.

Edit: Nog would also submit him into oblivion, and Kongo potentially has the best stand-up in the HW division. I can see everyone with a tad bit of skill beating Sylvia.
    QFT. Sylvia is not a good fighter at all.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku
    The competition for the HW division was so weak before, which is why he was the champ for so long (that, and him being freakishly tall).
    As clearly shown by signing Brock Lesnar to the UFC....though it would be pretty cool to see him give someone the F-5 (his WWE signature move) for real and not a toned down, wrestling version where they pad the impact as much as possible to lessen the chance of injury. Granted, that'd probably never happen because of the timing involved to even set up the move....but I do wonder how Brock's NCAA wrestling background may help him for MMA.

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

I'd watch Brock Lesnar fight just to see him get beaten to a bloody pulp. Not sure what he's like outside of WWE but he just looks like a douche.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Thoronas
    I'd watch Brock Lesnar fight just to see him get beaten to a bloody pulp. Not sure what he's like outside of WWE but he just looks like a douche.
    I have no idea who that guy is, but I can't imagine anyone from a lame fake wrestling show moving to an MMA franchise and doing anything other than getting the crap kicked out themselves.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    I have no idea who that guy is, but I can't imagine anyone from a lame fake wrestling show moving to an MMA franchise and doing anything other than getting the crap kicked out themselves.
    Many ppl in wrestling have strong backgrounds that can translate well to MMA. They would obviously be 1 dimensional if they only used their background so really no one will do well in MMA without good preparation in it. I think Sakuraba used to be in japanese fake wrestling and he owned all the Gracies and many other people in MMA.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    Many ppl in wrestling have strong backgrounds that can translate well to MMA. They would obviously be 1 dimensional if they only used their background so really no one will do well in MMA without good preparation in it. I think Sakuraba used to be in japanese fake wrestling and he owned all the Gracies and many other people in MMA.
    That was a while ago before people were so well-rounded though, wasn't it? MMA today is a whole new ballgame, as Royce found out going up against Matt Hughes. I don't think any WWF star is going to go far in MMA these days.

Lesnar has an extensive amateur wrestling background too. NCAA Division I champ iirc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Didn't Brock also almost make it into the nfl (I think I remember him at least making practice squad, if I'm remembering the right person). I know it's not the best measure, but it shows he's at least has some real skills besides pre-rehearsed wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by sb
    Didn't Brock also almost make it into the nfl (I think I remember him at least making practice squad, if I'm remembering the right person). I know it's not the best measure, but it shows he's at least has some real skills besides pre-rehearsed wrestling.
    he played linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings for a season or 2.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0

Never actually made the team, he tried out as a walk on, did some practices and then was cut before the season started if I recall right...

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar's wiki page
    Lesnar played for the Minnesota Vikings, where he created controversy in some games by starting minor fights and got heat from the Kansas City Chiefs for a sack on quarterback Damon Huard, which drew a big response from the crowd of 6,000. Huard was knocked silly, and had to go to the sidelines and sit out a few plays. Giving hard hits to quarterbacks in scrimmages violates unwritten rules of professional football, and the Chiefs were not too happy with him. His actions got him featured on SportsCenter on more than one occasion.[57] After playing in a few pre-season games, Lesnar was eventually cut from the team after not showing up for practices due to an injury sustained by a motorcycle ride during the summer of 2004. He declined an invitation to play as a representative of the Vikings in NFL Europa.[8]

Quote Originally Posted by Selamis
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy0

Never actually made the team, he tried out as a walk on, did some practices and then was cut before the season started if I recall right...
    the fuck he didn't lol.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yep, clearly shown in the wrong lol. Oddly enough I don't recall that happening...but it's not important. Either way I give him a year in UFC before he's either knocked silly or gets upset over something and quits.

In other news, Sherk's appeal is today (started a 9 a.m.) and there's still no word on whether or not he got his belt stripped.

Brock Lesnar has a wrestling record of 106-5 or something really close to that if I'm not mistaken, so he has a good base to build on. So long as he manages to get the agression needed to train hard and run through people he might make quite the impact.

Sherk's appeal has been postponed two weeks D: