Thread: Console RPG question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Console RPG question

I haven't owned or played a console since 2004, and up until that point, the best RPG I ever enjoyed was Skies of Arcadia.
    Now I had the chance to relive it, but realized pretty instantly that it would never match my original feelings.

So the question is; is there a game somewhat contemporary that might match my expectations for a game?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Before giving any sort of recommendation I'd like for you to answer this question: What, in particular, was it that you liked about Skies of Arcadia that you would want to see more of?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

You left a VERY vague question. There are all kinds of games of all types and genres available. you also failed to mention a platform which also restricts the choices. What exactly do you mean by contemporary?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Final Fantasy 7 is coming to the PS4, so look forward to that!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I can list any number of "Older" classic turn based RPG's on different consoles, but are you looking for something recent? like, within the last 5-10 years or so? since you said Skies of Arcadia (Legends?) was the last console RPG you've played.

if you're looking "Old School" style of RPG's, and there's no console restrictions, Ni No Kuni, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey. to name a few, I think in recent years for the most part a lot of studios that make RPG's have moved to a more fluid and fast paced style of RPG battles, and have moved away from the turn based system of classic RPG's, but those few I listed are good examples of turn based RPG's that can be done well.

To be fair, without looking strictly at gameplay your request is kinda hard to fill. If there was something about the story, characters or setting that really did that for you I doubt you would find that feeling in another game while comparing it to Skies. There are a lot of games with good stories and a lot of games with good gameplay, but not a lot with both (obviously).

I say this to anyone trying to recapture that feeling they had years ago, it probably won't happen. Don't compare them directly to Skies and you might enjoy them for what they are. Still, pretty much what Charismatic and Teknique said.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Before giving any sort of recommendation I'd like for you to answer this question: What, in particular, was it that you liked about Skies of Arcadia that you would want to see more of?
    I would say that it was the great story, the large scope of locations and the mix between normal combat and vehicle combat (in this case ships)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    You left a VERY vague question. There are all kinds of games of all types and genres available. you also failed to mention a platform which also restricts the choices. What exactly do you mean by contemporary?
    lol yeah it was. to clarify, platform isn't that much of a hurdle, but I would probably lean towards PS4, and by contemporary I meant games that came out in the last few years. Im not interested in oldies-but-goldies due to shitty graphics

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    I would say that it was the great story, the large scope of locations and the mix between normal combat and vehicle combat (in this case ships)
    Valkyria Chronicles.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

ooh, PC-version. getting it now

When the Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out you might wanna check that too. The Wii version is also a great RPG but doesn't particularly have much in the way of vehicles.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Here's the Steam RPG thread:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/124522-Steam-RPGs

Check their store pages for videos and see if they have what you might want. Plus, cheap means less of a gamble.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    I meant games that came out in the last few years. Im not interested in oldies-but-goldies due to shitty graphics
    The trouble is, golden age PS1/DC/GC style JRPGs, have been thin on the ground the past half-decade. And not all of those were even localized. And the heaviest concentration have been on the DS/PSP/Vita.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Valkyria Chronicles.
    Bonus points for literally having SoA characters in it!