BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oopsy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oopsy

Graphics card pooping or overheating? (Not all chars are like this, just one random one every now and then)

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Oopsy

That happens to me every now and then, I wish I could get SS's of the rainbow colored wire models in action, it looks bad ass for a little while until the game eventually crashes.

Banned.

BG Level

Overheating (moreso if PC/POL crashes shortly after), but most likely card (or RAM way less likely) going the way of dodo.

Edit: Could be driver version too, but yeah...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I logged out to the char select screen and logged back in, fixed.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Clearly the power of the surcoat has broken the space-time continuum.

But I had similar artifacts on my old pc when it was running hot due to dust buildup in the heatsinks, might went to check inside your case and blow it out if needed.

i would get bad tearing like that on bows a lot when my old card was overheating b/c the itty bitty widdle fan on my AIW 9600 POS had seized up on me (similar quality to the rest of the product...) and it was getting hot.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

try to run the graphic card with other game and see if the same issue happened or not. Maybe try to monitor its temperature too.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saro
    Clearly the power of the surcoat has broken the space-time continuum.

But I had similar artifacts on my old pc when it was running hot due to dust buildup in the heatsinks, might went to check inside your case and blow it out if needed.
    I have had the exact same issue in the past. Lately it started getting really bad to the point that muling would set it off. I popped my case, removed all my fans and heatsinks and cleaned them. I haven't had the problem since.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Argh it is happening kinda bad now. Quite annoying. Could possibly be my drivers, but how do I check that?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

You can try reinstalling the drivers. Download from manufacturers website, uninstall old ones, reboot, reinstall new ones, reboot. If this doesn't help, try monitoring it's temperature with like CPUID hardware monitor or something similar. If it seems to be running at a decent temperature (40-60C) and still giving you problems then it's probably your GPU core dying and you will need a new card. If it's running too hot, try to find a way to cool it down via an extra fan or whatnot and see if that helps.

It ALSO could be problems with the motherboard. I had graphics problems once and I tried multiple cards and still had problems. I had some capacitors on the motherboard, which was getting old, looking like they were ready to blow. You can also check that, but MOST LIKELY it's just the video card.

It's handy to keep extra computer parts around.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

When that happened to me, my vid card died.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    When that happened to me, my vid card died.
    Same here, took about 8 months but then it got so bad FF (and any other 3D rendered game) was unplayable.

Tricen buy a new PC.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Either it's overheating, your card is overclocked (and it's overheating/failing), or the card is failing. Have fun w/ canned air and see if that helps.

Thing is, his HD failed, his GRFX are dying, and his CD drive keeps popping open of its own accord.

Time to spend some cash imo.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Could an overheated graphics card cause POL to crash? >.>

My Vista laptop is laggy enough as it is, but it seems if I leave it on for an extended period of time, POL will randomly crash. A couple of days ago it reached a peak with about 12 consecutive crashes, at which point I just shut the whole thing down and haven't touched it since.

I wanna know how to "upgrade" to XP for that laptop. ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa
    I wanna know how to "upgrade" to XP for that laptop. ; ;
    Start a thread in Tech with manufacturer and model