Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Mary Poppins Returns (December 25, 2018)

“Mary Poppins Returns” stars: Emily Blunt as the practically-perfect nanny with unique magical skills who can turn any task into an unforgettable, fantastic adventure; Lin-Manuel Miranda as her friend Jack, an optimistic street lamplighter who helps bring light—and life—to the streets of London; Ben Whishaw as Michael Banks; Emily Mortimer as Jane Banks; and Julie Walters as the Banks’ housekeeper Ellen; with Colin Firth as Fidelity Fiduciary Bank’s William Weatherall Wilkins; and Meryl Streep as Mary’s eccentric cousin, Topsy. The film also introduces three new Banks’ children played by Pixie Davies, Nathanael Saleh and newcomer Joel Dawson. Angela Lansbury appears as the Balloon Lady, a treasured character from the PL Travers books and Dick Van Dyke is Mr. Dawes Jr., the retired chairman of the bank now run by Firth’s character.

The film is directed by Rob Marshall from a screenplay by David Magee and screen story by Magee & Marshall & John DeLuca based upon The Mary Poppins Stories by PL Travers. The producers are Marshall, DeLuca and Marc Platt with Callum McDougall serving as executive producer and the music is by Marc Shaiman with songs by Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Feelings...mixed...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Probably going to be a hard pass for me. This is quite sad/funny on the heels of the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" which glossed over PL Travers' hatred of what Disney did to her work and spun Disney as the hero who adapted Mary Poppins for the masses. And while there are definitely two sides to that story, I tend to side with the original creator of something because I understand how personally invasive it can feel to have something you created be changed into something else.

If this ends up being a more true-to-books adaptation I may see it, but it already looks like it's going to be a musical so I'm not really holding out too much hope that they're interested in making a version that hews very closely to what the author wanted to see.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

That's where my feelings come from. Let's not pretend Disney isn't going to make a magical movie with an amazing cast and powerful emotions, but PL Travers wanted Disney and Mary Poppins to have nothing to do with one another ever again. Hard to forget about that.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If there is no Michael Rooker cameo I will be disappointed.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries