+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New York City - Things to DO?

I am going to New York for the dates of Sept. 24-28 for the first time.

I was going for a convention called DigitalLife, but it has been cancelled and postponed until next year. Sad, yes, but I was more interested in NY anyway!

So, I am looking for suggestions on things to do and see. Shoot, guys! Even if it's expensive, I'd just like to get a heads up.

1) Big Attractions
    2) Sites
    3) Stores, Restaurants, etc.
    4) Artistic things
    5) Shows, etc.
    6) Dinky little things

Anything, really. If you've been and had some kind of cool experience, share! I can check it out!

Thanks<3

get some pizza.

thai whores

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

If you're a sports fan, get to a Yankee game if you're rich and can afford tickets. Last year in one of the most famous stadiums in the world. Even if you don't like baseball you can appreciate the history there. Get there a few hours early and you can get into monument park, which gives me goosebumps every time.

EDIT: Nevermind, the last game will be played before you get there

Some things to do:

Go to the top of the Empire State Building
    Hang around Rockefeller Center
    Get a Pastrami Sandwich (no joke, shit is the best, try the delis on 5th ave)
    Walk through Central Park (not at night)
    Check out the big ass Toys R' Us store in midtown (place is so cool, its not just for kids )
    Broadway show if you're into that sort of thing
    Improv shows at late night comedy clubs are great too, check listings for when and where

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

- Go to the top floor of the Empire state building. I grew up in NY and I always told myself that I'd go to the top floor of the twin towers but never got the chance.
    - Go to 125th ST and hustle Hindu's for some awesome clothes or shoes. A lot of stores.
    - Go through Canal ST for Chinatown, can get some great duck to eat. Or you can buy an assload bootlegged anime's for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    I am going to New York for the dates of Sept. 24-28 for the first time.

I was going for a convention called DigitalLife, but it has been cancelled and postponed until next year. Sad, yes, but I was more interested in NY anyway!

So, I am looking for suggestions on things to do and see. Shoot, guys! Even if it's expensive, I'd just like to get a heads up.

1) Big Attractions
    2) Sites
    3) Stores, Restaurants, etc.
    4) Artistic things
    5) Shows, etc.
    6) Dinky little things

Anything, really. If you've been and had some kind of cool experience, share! I can check it out!

Thanks<3
    What is the convention all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco View Post
    What is the convention all about?
    It was a technology convention. Been running since 2004, and apparently there wasn't enough new technology to warrant a convention this year.

Found out about 3 days after buying the plane tickets. Still, I would have gone regardless.

There's actually an anime convention those dates, but more so interested in NY.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    - Go to the top floor of the Empire state building. I grew up in NY and I always told myself that I'd go to the top floor of the twin towers but never got the chance.
    - Go to 125th ST and hustle Hindu's for some awesome clothes or shoes. A lot of stores.
    - Go through Canal ST for Chinatown, can get some great duck to eat. Or you can buy an assload bootlegged anime's for cheap.
    ^ This. Get some really cheap Timbs (60-80 bucks) at DAFFY's as opposed to 120ish+ anywhere else in the city. There are also a bunch of other things u can get cheap at DAFFY's. I know the one in Secaucus is pretty cheap (it's also where I got some timbs.) There are TONS of Dominican, PR, Italian, Chinese,and other ethnic food restaurants all over the place, too.

BG Level

Go to Washington Heights and you can technically say you've been to Dominican Republic too lol.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Walk through Central Park (not at night)
    Check out the big ass Toys R' Us store in midtown (place is so cool, its not just for kids )
    These, a million times, these. I visited there last year to hang out with some friends, and we spent like 2-3 hours in that toys r' us. And we're all 20-25 years old. And central park is awesome. Trying to plan another trip to see the big sites (Empire state building, statue of liberty, ect ect)

Black Belt
    BG Level

from south to north

- Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (both if you like)
    - Ground Zero (if you like to look at the big hole) + Century 21 Dept Store across the street
    - Chinatown (lunch and dinner are both good, if you want to buy stuff here do it before 7 PM)
    - East Village* (good for dinner, bars and just walking around)
    - Empire State Building, Macy's Dept Store, Manhattan Mall (not really)
    - Korea Town* (it's just a block, good for dinner if you want to try Korean)
    - Times Square* (tons of stuff here, M&M Store, Virgin Megastore, lots of restaurants, Broadway play)
    - Rockefeller Center
    - Central Park + Museum of Natural History + Lincoln Center (place called Island Burger supposed to be really good but haven't been there myself yet)

*night time stuff

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

<3 that Toys R Us. Like a kid in a candy shop which is ironic because they had a candy shop in there.

Museum of Natural History is cool. Metropolitan Museum of Art if you are into that.... I'm not. Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, 5th Avenue Shopping, Times Square is pretty cool too if you're an out of towner. The financial district/wall street is cool if you're into that kind of thing... again not me. You can check out Ground Zero too if you're interested in that. Bronx Zoo is fucking awesome. If you want to grab a drink Perfect Pint is an awesome pub right near Times Square, I drank there on St. Patty's Day.

Definitely grab a slice of pizza, gyro, and a hot dog from a street vendor.

That should cover you for the duration of your trip lol. Night life I can't speak on I usually only head down to the city during the day time.

Black Belt
    BG Level

oh yeah you can get a massage in Chinatown for ~$40/hr, the not dirty kind, don't know if that's really unique to NY though.

PM me if you want specifics for food.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I used to work at that Toys R Us and I'll tell you make sure to check out the third floor. Sometimes they have events up there and will have celebs up there and also the actual props from movies.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I personally wouldn't waste your time with Chinatown unless you like the lingering smell of trash and warm fish.

I'll second the Toys R Us thing. I actually bought Rock Band from there 2 days ago! You could go to Union Square too around like 2 or 3 PM and watch all the hippie kids protest while a bunch of others skateboard by.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    <3 that Toys R Us. Like a kid in a candy shop which is ironic because they had a candy shop in there.
    Stop at the M&M's store thats literally like across the street and around the corner.

Warning, those m&m's are expensive, but it's a fun store depending on your age and the peoples age you are with. I bought my little sister there and she liked it, and I'm 21 and thought it was fun to make some crazy ass color mixes. Also, you can say that you might be too old but you're never too old for the toys r' us store so IDK if you'd be too old for M&M's.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well China town is good if just to find the hidden weapon stores lol. Everything good has been mentioned so far tho. To bad your a "little" late for the twin towers, those were fun/scary.

Oh yeah get a Hershey bar the size of your head. Those are good.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Avoid ghettos

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by senoska View Post
    Avoid ghettos
    Hell nah, some of the most fun I've ever had in NY was in my neighborhood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast