BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cor to 37 questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Something witty
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Cor to 37 questions

So I want to level cor to 37, and I was just curious what opinions and experiences other people have had with this, mostly in regard to subjob selection for both solo and party. I'm not looking for a "what's best?" deal, just what people have experienced so I can kind of pick and choose what I'd like to do for myself from what seems to work well, or know what to expect. Also gear recommendations and playing techniques are appreciated as well, thanks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Lvls 1-20 sub whatever you want really, /BRD for basic songs or /WHM for support (eat pies or other major +MP food if you do this though) or /BST or /PUP for soloing, doesn't really matter much and is entirely dependant on how you level. If you leech in an astral burn or something it's completely irrelelevant. I did /BRD because it was both handy for soloing (paeon) and lowbie party support (minuet I) but I did /COR before Astral Burns became common knowledge so didn't really have an option outside of the good old Valkurm dunes.

Lvl20+ sub RNG and 22+ shoot bullets (that's when first useful bullets are available to equip). It's not really rocket science, you get first accuracy bonus from /RNG10 and Sharpshot is available from the beginning. Even if you choose to not use gun the accuracy bonus is still there. If you're really anti-gun or don't want to touch RNG just for COR 20-37 you could go /WAR or /DRG 30-37 for berserk or wyvern earring purposes but on the whole most melee subjobs are a bit weak early on. There always is the argument about COR subs with regards to /RNG vs /WHM, I personally preferred /RNG in XP any day of the week and used it for my /COR 20-37. For starters in the early levels there's not enough +MP gear available to make /WHM worthwhile and most parties 10-37 nowadays have a PL making any backup healers unnecessary. You might as well help speed up kills.

Gear-wise wear basic lowbie stuff... there's nothing with really amazing stats but it's the same crap most jobs wear early on: Battle gloves, Kingdom Bandana (well, entire Sandy rank 1 armour set is fine), Feather collar +1 and some other random bits and bobs. And then at around 30~ swap to Noct set and/or RSE depending on what stats your race has. If you're /RNG then opt for Gun Belt. Leaping Boots, PCC and Emp hairpin are kind of obvious good choices if you happen to have them or the gil to spare.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I ran /pup to 10. Frame really isn't important, kill speed was excellent. 10-20 I just ran /war through dunes. I blinked that outta my memory so I couldn't tell ya how that went...20+ I ran /nin for pulling purposes and sword DoT and used sword weaponskills as ranged ws just suck at that lv.
    Started to carry darts for fast pull when my gun saw no use, that can be fine for you too as you don't really need a gun till quickdraw at 40 anyway.
    I have sword merits but I'm sure that makes little difference early. Just gear as you would any other melee DD.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Once you start actually shooting things, get yourself some Flounder Meuniere. It's a little expensive (5K a plate here on Midgard, much cheaper if you cook them yourself or have a friend make 'em), but it is a 3-hour food and the effects (R.Atk+14%cap25@178, R.Acc+15, Enmity-3, DEX+6) are fantastic for low-level EXP.

Also, I'd like to echo the above comments advocating /RNG.

Something witty
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I actually started shooting things at level 5 (firefly was too cute a name for a weapon to pass up), and it's been fun so far, though i have to laugh at myself because i constantly wonder if i'd do more damage just stabbing things with my knife. But it does make a nice pulling weapon for those stupid goblins that always start walking as soon as you get up to them.

I'm guessing lvl 11 will be a big level for ranged attacks, I already have tin bullets for that level and they're a huge leap from these lolbronze bullets. I have sword merits too so as soon as i can use a decent sword i'll get one (lvl 5 the only thing available was an onion sword lol).

Been subbing war but i didn't even think about /brd, might do that, dunno. with FoV regen i almost never have to heal (<3). my pup is only level 6 (I couldn't stand the job lol).

Anyways thanks for the advice guys.