1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 42 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New Grand Company Gear (04/23/2012)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...511bf18c22e640

Patch 1.22 will see the addition of new weapons and armor available for crafting by Disciples of the Hand. This Topics post will provide some insight into the nature of these items, and introduce the social milieu that gave rise to their creation.

After the establishment of the Grand Companies, each city turned an eye to crafting quality arms and armor with which to outfit their respective forces. A growing number of adventurers can be seen clad in this official equipment as the Grand Companies continue to reward faithful service.
    There are those, however, whose livelihoods have suffered from the availability of such equipment—the armorers and weaponsmiths who rely upon the custom of adventurers. These craftspeople began searching for a means to rival the companies’ superior wares, and eventually discovered their salvation in working with darksteel ore and gryphon hide.
    Though well known for their incredible strength and durability, these materials are notoriously difficult to shape and deemed ill-suited for mass-production. After much experimentation and deliberation, however, the masters of each guild developed improved crafting techniques. Thus were they able to forge a new series of unique items.
    The invention of new crafting methods has made such arms and armor possible, but the process is still said to test the skill and patience of even the most seasoned smiths.

* New recipes include weapons, armor, and accessories.
    * New weapon recipes planned for patch 1.22 are for gladiator, pugilist, marauder, and lancer classes only. Weapons for other classes are planned for release sometime after patch 1.22a.
    The fuck is that Pugilist weapon... ._.; Also no 1h Wand ?.?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

god. weapons in FFXIV look ridiculous.. its so over the top you can't tell when a weapon is supposed to look seriously powerful anymore.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Too bad those effects on mage weapons are useless considering you never enter active mode.

I try and be positive about the game, but truth is FFXI had, and still has, a much better art direction in my opinion.
    I really cant dig a yellow sporting monk, or how every color slowly loses saturation to become a variation of grey. FFXI managed to create a realistic feeling with just a little bit of vivid colors that didnt ruin its vibe, at all.

And now these weapons, with PUG wielding "lava bricks". Meh

Celeste

Thought you were getting a spear? BAM! IT'S A TRIDENT! Come one, come all, there is more to these weapons than meets the eye! Retractable, mighty morphin' grand company weapons! BAM!!

A STAFF? NO SIR. IT'S A MODEL OF THE PLANET AND IT'S SATELLITES! FIST WEAPONS? MORE LIKE DEATHWING STYLE BRICKS. BAM. BOW? MINI NUKE LAUNCHER IS MOAR LIKE.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Those might look wierd but they just released a sneak peak at the Garuda weapons.

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...422#post656422

Don't forget the Garuda weapons!

EDIT: Dammit, I was beaten by a minute.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

That bow and sword look badassed. Everything else, not so much.

EDIT: For companies. Only Gardua weapon that really looks neat are the MNK claws.

My name is Not Sure
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Where are these Garuda weapons??

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

The post above mine.

My bow is a bird, your argument is invalid.

GC: Sword is badass, bow is badass, axe is kinda cool, lance is wut? Fists are MEGA WUT? Mage weapons are pretty interesting I think. The only weapon that really looks stupid are the fists, the rest are great (I love the planets/orbit staff rofl)

Garuda: All of them look great, some look better than others but I like them all.

In general the art direction is trying to be more weird and wonderful, I remember people complaining that all the gear was dull and boring, well you reap what you sow. The animation and effects on the weapons are pretty cool. It's over the top, but I like it. Shit looks interesting at least.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They sure are more interesting than 3/4 of the weapons in XI. Most of them are palette swaps in icon and actually use the same model.
    I simply wish mages had reasons to enter active mode outside of showing off in town.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

What did they do to Garuda's face?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't understand why some people are so surprised at the flamboyance of the weapon designs. Alot of the "endgame" type of weapons from the past FFs have always been pretty much out there. Those GC fists though... lolwut.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I like the weapon designs so far. It's a bit more Amano-ish than I am accustomed to, but they're pretty spiffy. o.0 I really like that last darksteel weapon with the mini-orrery on top of it.

...with that said, what the flaming hell were they thinking with darksteel MNK?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I don't understand why some people are so surprised at the flamboyance of the weapon designs. Alot of the "endgame" type of weapons from the past FFs have always been pretty much out there. Those GC fists though... lolwut.
    True but nobody is taking the level 50 endgame seriously because it's painfully obvious that the level cap will be increased sooner or later, thus making these weapons outdated and silly looking.

I agree that the art direction of FFXIV is lacking and incoherent. These weapons would have looked great in a game like FFXIII, but in a supposedly fanatsy setting they look out of place and ridiculous.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm alright of primal weapons being over the top but brick fists is kinda pushing it. Would think items made my players or GC armies be more in line with the art style of the cities and culture while the more fantastical out there designs be drops from primals, crazy boss monsters and the technomagik garlean stuff. Least its cool they using more effects and animations on weapons I guess. Idk maybe after 2.0 they plan to establish more of fantasy art style and setting but I dont want things sticking out like a sore thumb some consistency be nice.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I might be in the minority here, but I really think there's something to be said for reigning in the outrageousness of an MMO's art design. Of course you don't want the game to look drab and uninteresting, but at the opposite end of the scale if you start going all-out and incorporating really flamboyant weapon/mob/zone/whatever designs then eventually nothing is going to seem special or interesting. XIV is still in its weird post-beta but pre-"true release" stage, which seems a little early to start introducing incredibly over-the-top weapon designs. You can definitely make a game look interesting without everything being over-the-top (á la the majority of FFXI), and if you do that then the stuff you create later on that is quite ostentatious really stands out.

In a game that you ideally want people to continue playing for many years, making early weapon designs over-the-top is an ill-advised and short-sighted aesthetic decision.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I wish they'd spend their time making new enemy models or new armor models instead of adding four sets of unique weapons (Garuda, Imperial, AF, GC) in a single patch.

Most of their pre-2.0 models are never going to be used unless they let us choose the Gilgamesh race.

http://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/i...gamesh_FFV.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast