Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hmmmm     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hmmmm

I was looking for a definition of my characters name (Kiku-Ichimonji), when I came upon this.

I wonder if it has any merit to the naming of the Mithra of FFXI.

Mithra was one of the angels in Zoroasterianism, who judged the dead to either Heaven and Hell when they died. Mithra was later worshipped as a Savior-God exactly like Jesus of Nazareth (thus the rarely said saying "Mithraism is the Christianity before Christianity).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

nice name

heh Ty ^^

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

That's interesting. But I don't see how any of the cats in FFXI do any kind of judging. Maybe it's just coincidence. But I do think there are a few other definitions to the word Mithra out there. I'm guessing it ties to that.

I decided to dig alittle deeper and found this.

"In the later parts of the Avesta, Mithra comes to the fore among the created beings. He gained the title of "Judge of Souls". As the protector of truth and the enemy of error."

If you think about the last part Mithra have higher DEX than the other races, "The enemy of error"

Hmmmm I could tell by your sig. lol

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I still wonder why FFXI made them pretty much all female. You say Mithra was a 'he' in this religion.

Good examining the 'enemy of error' bit. That really struck me. If S-E had really considered this fact in the creation of the Mithra race in FFXI, I'd say that must've taken a barrelful of research to pull that name out and not another cliche like Guado or Hobbit or something.

Here's another excerpt from my source,

Because light is accompanied by heat, he was the god of vegetation and increase; he rewarded the good with prosperity and annihilated the bad. Mithras was called omniscient, undeceivable, infallible, eternally watchful, and never-resting.

Alot of these traits are shared by the Mithra, who gaurd the Taru, even though he's refered to as a "he".

Here's my source for those that would like to know more

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Mithra

Also there's,

Because light is accompanied by heat, he was the god of vegetation and increase.

If you think of the homeland of the mithra there's vegetation and heat,
    being a tropical jungle. Especially seeing as Ifrit is on said Island.

And they look up to Ifrit's Cauldron as a place where they make offerings, too.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I still wonder why FFXI made them pretty much all female.
    SE decided to make Mithras a matriarchal, tribe-like civilization where there are few males, and the males that do exist do not venture out of their tribes (perhaps we'll get to see male mithras someday if they add the Mithra homelands to the game world). Why they made it female-only is probably the same reason they made Galka "male-only" (even though Galkas are technically asexual).

As far as Mithras being based on any kind of historical names, it should be no surprise that SE draws many of its names for places, people, etc. from mythology, religion, and so on. A great percentage of the time they use names from mythology or religion, they alter the history around it to fit their storyline. For example, Shiva is not the male deity that it is in Hinduism; they took the name and adapted it simply to some magical being that has power over ice, whether it be called an esper, summon, guardian force, eidolon, or avatar.

So while it might be interesting to look at the history behind the names SE uses, I wouldn't expect much correlation between their real history and the history SE gives them for their games.

Banned.

BG Level

a

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zaris
    That's interesting. But I don't see how any of the cats in FFXI do any kind of judging. Maybe it's just coincidence. But I do think there are a few other definitions to the word Mithra out there. I'm guessing it ties to that.
    Mithra Sin Hunters from COP Storyline.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Phoenix is actually male, but in the game he is referred to as "she".

Also visit http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/mithra.html for more about Mithra. (For those who have beat Dynamis - Beuacidine you will notice a familiar name in that article.) There is also a pciture of Mithra in the article. (Calm down Avv, it's not what you think.)

The god of light. Here he is slaying the divine bull.
    Anybody else find that odd?

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Maren
    isnt kazham their homeland?
    No Kazham is just a fishing tribe on Elshimo. The real Mithra homeland should be to the south (where the mithra sin hunters came from). Chances are it'll be part of a future expansion, maybe not the next one though.