+ Reply to Thread
    Bigronnie

Danny Green v Roy Jones Jr World IBO Cruiserweight Title Fight

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

BREAKING NEWS: WA boxer Danny Green has retained the IBO cruiser weight world title, stopping American superstar Roy Jones Jr in barely two minutes.

Jones was the hot favourite for the fight tonight at Acer Arena in Sydney but survived just 122 seconds with Green - who said at weigh-in for the match he had a punch that could put his opponent to sleep for a week.

Making the first defence of his cruiser weight title, 36-year-old Green floored Jones with a big right hand to the head after one minute.

Sensing his opponent was still vulnerable, Green applied further pressure and backed up the American who suddenly looked all of his 40 years.

Several unanswered punches prompted English referee Howard Foster to stop the bout after just 122 seconds.

Jones landed a handful of punches in the opening minute during which both men felt each other out with quick jabs.

Jones, a four-division eight-time world champion, offered no excuses for a defeat which could signal the end of a wonderful career.

``We don't make excuses, it was a great performance by Danny,'' Jones told the crowd.

Green sounded almost apologetic after humbling one of the greatest fighters of this or any other generation.

``He's one of the greatest fighters of all time and the opportunity to fight him in Australia, thanks Roy Jones Jnr,'' Green told the crowd.

``I almost feel bad doing that, that almost most hurt me to do that to someone whom I aspire to look up to as a professional fighter inside and outside the ring.

``He's a bloody legend.''

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

wut? Goddamn, how the mighty have fallen.

Yeah, he lost to the starting forward of UNC's championship team. That's crazy.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

In boxer years Jones is 90, how is this a shock to anyone? Boxers and Tennis players have an extremely short shelf life. Sup Mike, Oscar and Holyfield.

Well personally, only reason I'm surprised is that this other dude is 36. It's not like he's Forever Young himself.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Perhaps he has Weinkeism on his side? Began fighting at the age of 30 after 10 years in Jr leagues for the Braves? idk.

I just remember seeing Jones fight like 5 years ago and it was awful.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Jones was overrated in his prime to begin with. The majority of his bouts were hand-picked tomato cans helping him stay face.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bigronnie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    wut? Goddamn, how the mighty have fallen.

... tripping me out