+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sound bar recommendation     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Sound bar recommendation

I'm looking into replacing my cheap 7+ year old samsung sound bar. The biggest issue I have with it besides the remote crapping out is the fact the optical audio cable just refuses to firmly seat in my Vizio 55" TV, so just breathing in it's general direction would cause it to fall out of the tv.

Ideally I would like one at about 200 or below, preferably if it's carried by Amazon as I have about 80 bucks in gift cards for them. Also only a 2.1 system. As much as I'd like a 5.1 system, I have no way to mount the rear speakers and I know just placing them on the windowsill is going to make our cats decide to keep knocking them off. No real brand preference, but if there's a Vizio bar that has a remote that can control my TV (the input button on my remote is shot, so I can't change which HDMI port i'm on), that would be great.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I'm looking into replacing my cheap 7+ year old samsung sound bar. The biggest issue I have with it besides the remote crapping out is the fact the optical audio cable just refuses to firmly seat in my Vizio 55" TV, so just breathing in it's general direction would cause it to fall out of the tv.

Ideally I would like one at about 200 or below, preferably if it's carried by Amazon as I have about 80 bucks in gift cards for them. Also only a 2.1 system. As much as I'd like a 5.1 system, I have no way to mount the rear speakers and I know just placing them on the windowsill is going to make our cats decide to keep knocking them off. No real brand preference, but if there's a Vizio bar that has a remote that can control my TV (the input button on my remote is shot, so I can't change which HDMI port i'm on), that would be great.
    I hate to recommend soundbars, but if you must... Razer Leviathan

Its right at your pricepoint too! Iirc it was rated int he top10 on some tech radar article i read recently.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I have the old VIzio soundbar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDIK908 and still really liking it.
    I hear the new version is just as good/better. https://www.vizio.com/audio.html?fil...igurations=779

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    I have the old VIzio soundbar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDIK908 and still really liking it.
    I hear the new version is just as good/better. https://www.vizio.com/audio.html?fil...igurations=779
    We were going to buy the newer version (we actually bought it and returned it the next day) after seeing a ton of reviews on Amazon and Costco both complaining of the sub having to be re-paired to the soundbar constantly.

As for the Razer, i've had so many razer products take a shit on me in a year or less that I've given up on them.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think that's really exclusive to just those. I use a soundbar for my bedroom TV (Samsung for both the TV and soundbar) and it has to be re-paired probably at least once a week.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have an LG soundbar that I've had for years and never had a single issue with.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I have an LG soundbar that I've had for years and never had a single issue with.
    I have an LG 45-inch that looks almost exactly like this one. I've never had to re-pair it and have had it since Christmas 2015. I likely have an older model of the one I linked.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah I never had to re-pair the sub on my Samsung when I had it. I may have to hold off on the osund bar now though as my keyboard is taking a dump. You don't realize how often you use the 1 key till you have to fill out taxes....

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Also have a soundbar from LG. Not as long as you (got it last Black Friday) but damn if the sound quality on the thing isn't poppin. No issues, crisp sound.

No pairing issues either since. However, I just recently dedicated an HDMI line from it to the TV. Waaaaaaay better sounding.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Also have a soundbar from LG. Not as long as you (got it last Black Friday) but damn if the sound quality on the thing isn't poppin. No issues, crisp sound.

No pairing issues either since. However, I just recently dedicated an HDMI line from it to the TV. Waaaaaaay better sounding.
    What were you using before?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If we're talking about pairing it would be bluetooth

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Trying to get clarification because I think we split the conversation. Some of us are talking about re-pairing to the TV while we started the conversation talking about pairing the sub to the soundbar.

Was curious if he went from an optical to an HDMI and felt that the sound quality increased. I use an optical that came with the soundbar and know very little about this stuff. Wasn't sure if the HDMI is a better quality overall.

My sub is paired through bluetooth to the soundbar, but my soundbar is connected directly to my TV.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In theory HDMI and optical output should be identical in terms of quality. It's just sending a digital signal and leaving it up to the soundbar to process. Bluetooth is generally doing the same, but due to bandwidth limitations the quality would be degraded.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Cool. Thanks for that.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    What were you using before?
    Actually never had a soundbar before this -- was built in speakers into a 40" Sony.

I see what you meant now, my bad. I've got the TV and the soundbar at the same time, and no pairing issues since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Trying to get clarification because I think we split the conversation. Some of us are talking about re-pairing to the TV while we started the conversation talking about pairing the sub to the soundbar.

Was curious if he went from an optical to an HDMI and felt that the sound quality increased. I use an optical that came with the soundbar and know very little about this stuff. Wasn't sure if the HDMI is a better quality overall.

My sub is paired through bluetooth to the soundbar, but my soundbar is connected directly to my TV.
    I started with pairing, then tried the optical out line that came with the bar, before finally using one of the spare HDMI cables I had laying around. The only differences between the three would be that while pairing Bluetooth is perfectly fine, it would sometimes (not verrrry often) would have spotty jumps in in audio (due to the bandwidth as Krandor mentioned). The differences between optical out and HDMI would simply be that the HDMI output can handle higher quality audio channels, such as those that are put out by Blu-Ray CDs and the like. Otherwise for all intents and purposes they are pretty much the same output for everything else.

Your set up is perfectly fine, and I'll be doing something similar when I get some more speakers.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FWIW I don't think soundbars (or any other audio system) will see any difference in the outputted audio between optical and HDMI. Afaik HDMI ARC doesn't support the higher definition audio codecs.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I have a Samsung that I bought a few years back that retailed for $200. Has a sub. Personally, I think it sounds like shit. My ex-tenant left an old RCA receiver and some Dual branded bookshelf speakers. I bought a composite to optical adapter and that old crusty receiver and two speakers sounds better.