+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Podcasts - Whose Blue Apron ads do you listen to?

I didn't see a thread for this, so here it is.

For this post:
    * name - duration range, percent that I aspire to listen to, recommended episode
    description

Technology/Business:
    * Acquired - 60-120 minutes, 100%, LinkedIn
    Two 30ish broadcasters delve into various tech acquisitions/mergers. It's sort of a mix of excitement, nostalgia, and business analysis. If you listen to a lot of podcasts, you'll probably also like the Midroll episode.

* Internet History Podcast - 40-100 minutes, 60%, Mosaic Chapter 1.1
    The broadcaster chronicles the internet age, starting from Mosaic/Netscape and going up to (currently) the early 2000s. He also interviews a lot of people who were involved in these companies, some of which are worth listening to. I really recommend just going through the Chapter episodes, though.

* Decrypted - 20-30 minutes, 20%, Siri
    A Bloomberg Tech podcast, some of which are worthwhile. I read the topics and decide whether or not it's worth my time. One of the broadcasters annoys me.

NPR:
    * Planet Money - 20-30 minutes, 40%, The Chicken Tax
    I reject/accept these based on the topic. The narrators are a bit smarmy, but they cover some interesting topics.

* The Moth - 40 minutes?, 1%, Fog of Disbelief
    I don't even bother following this. Too many of the stories are shitty, but you occasionally get a good one. I recommend the Fog of Disbelief episode. Please post if there are other stories worth listening to, because I'm not going to sift through the reams of shit that are this podcast on my own.

Crooked Media (political):
    * Pod Save the World - 45-70 minutes, 100%, Heather Higginbottom
    The broadcaster (Tommy) was on Obama's national security council and has interesting conversations with people who are genuinely knowledgeable about foreign policy. Of all the Crooked Media podcasts, I favor this one because the host seems completely reasonable and willing to change his mind if convinced. You can listen to old episodes of these and it'll still be worthwhile.

* Pod Save America - 50-100 minutes, 100%, Most Recent
    Four people who worked in the Obama administration (mostly speechwriters) bullshit about current events and interview topically relevant acquaintances. It was kind of interesting for me to listen to this from the start, but I wouldn't really recommend it to a new listener. There's too much content and it's no longer current events if you're listening to it 5 months late. Check out interviews you're interested in and future episodes

* Pod Save the People - 80-100 minutes, 100%, Edward Snowden
    Pretty much Pod Save America from a minority perspective. I think this broadcaster (Deray) is my second most favorite host from Crooked Media for the same reason that I like Tommy. They both seem like if you ran through some data/analysis with them, they'd ask insightful questions and eventually agree with you or not. You should probably listen to interviews you're interested in and future episodes.

* Lovett or Leave It - 60 minutes, 100%, Most Recent
    Although this is probably the funniest, it's also the closest Crooked Media comes to just being a liberal echo chamber/fap session analogous to conservative talk radio and that skeeves me out a little. The format is unique (kind of like listening to a mix of a Late Show and a gameshow), the guests are generally random public figures (comedians, writers, journalists, etc.), and there is agreement more often than conflict. It's entertaining, but probably the least substantive.

Science:
    I p.much hate all science podcasts. If someone finds a good one, please let me know.

Hello Internet - 50-70 minutes - episode 53 (the flag referendum).
    I'm just going to steal Wikipedia's description:

The podcast features discussions pertaining to their lives as professional creators for YouTube, the content of their most recent videos as well as their interests and annoyances. Typical topics include technology etiquette; movie and TV show reviews; plane accidents; vexillology; futurology; and the differences between Grey's and Haran's personalities and lifestyles.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

probably my fav political podcast is slate's gabfest, mostly because I love Emily Bazelon and John Dickerson.

Vox's The Weeds also very good
    And, of course, FiveThirtyEight

If you have kids, NPR has a good podcast for short drives called "Wow in the World"

Also, Radiolab is super awesome with lots of must listen to episodes. Colors, Lithium, Juicervose, Falling, Space, and Sleep are probably my favs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Cumtown - 60 min of movie and pop culture references peppered with "fucking your mom" jokes.

Chapo Traphouse - 60-90 min of wonderful political pretentiousness and irony bros shitting on the American political system

Legion of Skanks - 120 min of WTF

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast. Show is legit laugh out loud funny and he does some of the best ads I've ever heard. Truly does not care if he loses sponsors.

Game Scoop from that webpage that goes unnamed. Damon really knows how to run a podcast. It's truly in my top 3.

Nerdist Podcast has some really great celebrities and really good questions that usually don't get answered. Sometimes it gets a little too pretentious for me, but overall enjoyable. Depends on if you can stand Chris Hardwick or not.

Used to listen to Kinda Funny podcast's, but after Colin Moriarty left, I find little interest in it. He was the one voice that made it bearable.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

holy shit I was going to make a similar thread now that i've moved and actually have a commute. I'm desperately searching for new good pods

Anyway I'll second Cumtown and Chapo Trap House. Never got into pods until I started listening to these two and I can't imagine life without them.

I've heard good things about "How Did This Get Made" and "Hardcore History"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Internet History Podcast was inspired by Hardcore History. I've been a bit put off of Hardcore history because the episodes are like 5 hours long, but I need to just suck it up and try it out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Star Talk Radio
    Stuff You Should Know
    Stuff to Blow Your Mind
    Slates Political Gabfest
    Axe Files with David Axlerod
    Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast - Totally agree with the other poster, fucking hilarious
    Wooooo Nation with Ric Flair - He hasn't done a show in over a year but you can still download them. Mostly stories about old school shit they used to pull on the road and whatnot.

Most of the other ones I used to listen too have long since stopped making shows.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Here are some my faves:

1. Hardcore History (Dan Carlin): Just fantastic history podcast. If you get chance just start at the beginning of what's available (episode about the siege of Munster). Episodes don't come out regularly, but are a few hours long when they do. The series about WWI is also quite good.
    2. Common Sense (Dan Carlin).
    3. FiveThirtyEight.
    4. NPR Politics
    5. Slate's Political Gabfest.
    6. Pod Save America
    7. Pod Save the World
    8. Star Talk Radio
    9. The Daily from New York Times.
    10. On the Media from NPR.
    11. Clarkesworld Magazine. Scifi and Fantasy short stories. Great episode is "The Things" short story by Peter Watts. It's John Carpenters "The Thing" told from the perspective of the Alien.

Joe Rogan Experience: 2-3 hours, 100%, Comedian Joe Rogan sitting down and having conversations with interesting people.
    Giant Bombcast: 3 hours, 100%, gaming.
    Dan Carlin's Common Sense: 45 mins - 1 hour, 100%, politics.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    Giant Bombcast: 3 hours, 100%, gaming.
    This and Funhaus' Dude Soup.

A. Body
    BG Level

Here's a suggestion on science podcast: Skeptic's Guide to the Galaxy

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Almost all the podcasts I used to enjoy are on unofficial hiatuses atm which kinda sucks.

Used to listen to the Garbage Time podcast every week until Fox decided they don't know what they're doing with Katie Nolan (which is especially tragic with the Bachelorette back).

And the Alton Browncast just randomly shows up with new episodes and then stops for an indeterminate amount of time.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Savage Lovecast - Dan Savage is a relationship and sex columnist that does a really informative and entertaining podcast about people who have sex, relationship, or family issues. Lots of them are pretty funny. Most of them are insightful. Haven't found an episode I haven't been entertained with. Start in the middle or end. Work your way back if you want to.

Collective Podcast - Ash Thorp chats with artists and people in the entertainment industry about all things pertaining to art and how they made it.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

The Church of What's Happening - Two hours of Joey Diaz and his ridiculously hilarious stories and rants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I tried out Dan Carlin's Common Sense and think he really needs at least one co-host. The podcast feels very echo chamber-y and there is no one there to couch the things he says that go too far or need to be reexamined. I do, however, appreciate the irony of making a podcast called Common Sense that espouses a one-man consensus, so maybe it's fine.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Vox podcasts
    The Weeds - Interesting, economic-focused fairly nonpartisan analysis of current political happenings / economic ideas.
    Worldly - Sort of similar to Pod Save the World, but more deep-dive research-y and with worse interviews, overall.

Also:
    LeVar Burton Reads - Reading Rainbow for adults, bitchesssss. You know you want to listen.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This looks like a fun topic

The Joe Rogan Experience - Joe Rogan doing 30 podcasts a week with everyone on the planet talking about whatever random thing comes to mind for usually 2.5-3 hours
    The Church of What's Happening - Joey Diaz is a stand-up comedian, motivational speaker, conosuir of living life one bong blow at a time
    The Read - Crissle & Kid Fury are homosexuals talking about pop culture and cursing out white people along the way (Warning: contains fair amount of use of the N word)
    The Brilliant Idiots - Andrew Schulz and Charlamagne tha God talk about pop culture, politics from the non-politically inclined sides, and random sprinkles of rape and religion.
    The FriendZone - Weekly delve into mental health and hygiene
    LeVar Burton Reads - I NEVER knew how much I needed a podcast where a dude sits and read shorts stories to me so much until I found it. It's probably the best thing I continually pick up for long drives/train rides.
    Bushido Talk - Youtuber Tommy Toe Hold talks about MMA
    The 85 South Show - A group of black comedians talk about whatever and have RANDOM freestyles about whatever comes to mind. (Warning: contains fair amount of use of the N word)
    Receipts Podcast - 4/5 Women from the UK talk about their experiences in relationships completely unfiltered and uncensored.
    Drink Champs - Noreaga and DJ EFEN talk to anybody and everybody while getting shit faced and sometimes high. People say the craziest things when they are under the influence willingly.

I just got into Pod Save America. They are entertaining. I can see the bias but it's still entertaining and informative.
    I'd like some more political podcasts focusing on US interests.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The Weekly Planet - Two Australian dudes that just talk about recent comic book (mostly comic book related, but tons of other stuff) movies and news. They have a lot of content, tons of episodes you can enjoy that are backlogged. They put out one every Sunday so it's available Monday morning for us here in the US. It's rarely informative, mostly funny banter.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Drinkin' Bros - Humorous group of Military Vets who comment about things military related, a bit of politics, things they do for the Vet community and current projects (YouTube Vids, Video Projects, etc.

Ross Patterson Revolution - Humorous Sister show to Drinkin Bros. Ross & his wife talk current events, politics, music, current projects, etc. from a Comedy Writer/ Directer/ Producer stand point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk