+ Reply to Thread

How do i find my CD key within windows?

Its been a long time since I have reformatted my computer, and I think its finally time. Ive got so many ridiculous viruses that I doubt could be completely removed, such as one that makes explorer.exe crash a couple minutes after start up, which effectively removed my task bar and all my desktop icons. Now, Ive got one that takes over the background of the comp with a big blue screen that in the middle reads "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer! Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer." Its awful.

So, isnt there a way to find your CD key in the comp? Any help would be appreciated.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: How do i find my CD key within windows?

Ah right, its a program, i forgot. Thanks.

Also, when I reformat it, ill backup what i need to and dont care about anything else getting wiped out. Should i quick reformat or full?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Really no reason not to do a full reformat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios
    Really no reason not to do a full reformat.
    Agreed, they don't take a particularly long time these days usually.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

If your guna do it i see no reason not to do a full, why half ass it? But thats just me

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    Ah right, its a program, i forgot. Thanks.

Also, when I reformat it, ill backup what i need to and dont care about anything else getting wiped out. Should i quick reformat or full?
    You can backup favorites, e-mail, FFXI's registry keys, and other small stuff like that and just copy them over when you are done.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Sounds like you got Bravier.exe or some kind of smitfraud variation... they suck donkey balls... can take a professional hours to get all the crap off, we had a nasty one hit one of our store registers about a week ago. I'd recommed a full reformat and install for sure. And becareful what you copy off and back up, I wouldn't recommend something like File and Settings transfer as you may very well put it right back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Day
    Sounds like you got Bravier.exe or some kind of smitfraud variation... they suck donkey balls... can take a professional hours to get all the crap off, we had a nasty one hit one of our store registers about a week ago. I'd recommed a full reformat and install for sure. And becareful what you copy off and back up, I wouldn't recommend something like File and Settings transfer as you may very well put it right back on.

well, i forgot to mention that chkntfs.exe often, like everytime i get a pop-up or use IE (been using firefox), runs at 99% of CPU usage and slows down the comp to dial up speeds.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

I had this exact thing. What a fucking ball buster. Restore to factory ..go!

n-lite version of xp can take as little as 30 minutes to install....almost faster then doing a full virus scan

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

While this thread is still alive, I don't know much about reformatting but I was wondering, If I reformatted my PC would I have to physically remove my installed graphics card before doing so? Everywhere I've read says I should. Just wondering if I actually need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Demian
    While this thread is still alive, I don't know much about reformatting but I was wondering, If I reformatted my PC would I have to physically remove my installed graphics card before doing so? Everywhere I've read says I should. Just wondering if I actually need to.
    If you remove your graphics card, how will you read the install options?

In short, no. Don't remove your graphics card.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian
    If you remove your graphics card, how will you read the install options?

In short, no. Don't remove your graphics card.
    If you have onboard from the motherboard then it would be fine. However, listen to shue, and make sure you have drivers on hand so you don't have to go DL them from the net again.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDragoon
    You can backup favorites, e-mail, FFXI's registry keys, and other small stuff like that and just copy them over when you are done.
    By FFXI reg keys do you mean the reg codes? (I'm guessing they're the same thing, just wanna be sure ) I've been digging around in my registry to provide them to SE if needed to get my account back and I couldn't find them anywhere. I was under the impression that they were stored server side and not locally... if they're stored on the comp, that'd be wicked, as I don't have the book for POL, FFXI, nor RoZ anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmbraast
    Quote Originally Posted by GSDragoon
    By FFXI reg keys do you mean the reg codes? (I'm guessing they're the same thing, just wanna be sure ) I've been digging around in my registry to provide them to SE if needed to get my account back and I couldn't find them anywhere. I was under the impression that they were stored server side and not locally... if they're stored on the comp, that'd be wicked, as I don't have the book for POL, FFXI, nor RoZ anymore.
    Nah, he means custom registry keys for graphics settings and so on, not FFXI registration codes.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

While we're on this topic, is there a way to find cd key of a factory installed office 07? I bought a laptop a while ago that came with office 07 and it always had that annoying pop up to enter your cd key and I always canceled it but now it locks up all office progs to read only unless I put it in -o-. Is it supposed to work like that? I mean this fucking shit comes factory installed so nfc how I'm supposed to enter office cd key and laptop box didn't come with jack rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Nah, he means custom registry keys for graphics settings and so on, not FFXI registration codes.
    Boo, that's what I thought. oh well.