1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Machinist 4.0: Now with more gun kata

So my preliminary new rotation is (starting with 3 ammo, 0 heat, all CDs):

Hypercharge
    Hot Shot
    Quick Reload
    Split Shot
    Barrel Stabilizer
    Heated Slug
    Reassemble, Wildfire
    Heated Clean
    Reload, Rapid Fire
    Heated Split
    Gauss Round
    Heated Slug
    Ricochet
    Heated Split
    Heated Clean
    (wildfire proc)
    Quick Reload
    Heated Slug
    continue normal 12132 rotation using Cooldown when heat hits 9x, CDs as they come up

If your rotation is unbroken you should always be at 60 or 65 heat when Quick Reload comes up, so you don't have to worry about going below 50. I'm not sure whether it's worth it to try to time overheat for Wildfire; right now I'm too annoyed by QR putting me below heat threshold to bother with intentional overloads, but I'm sure it'll be mathed out.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So I had an idea and I wanted someone to shoot it down:

Is there any reason why Cooldown shouldn't be a LV62 trait that replaces the Remove Gauss Barrel action with the Cooldown ability? I can think of no reason why anyone would ever want to use Remove Gauss Barrel, and making Cooldown a trait would mean you can replace two buttons (Gauss Barrel, Cooldown) with one button that changes when you activate Gauss Barrel.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

engaging after hypercharge is always bad

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

...what? Standard MCH rotation in 3.x was always to set all buffs + HC before engaging.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

split the 3.X and 4.X threads

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Been hearing that MCH's damage is pretty garbage. Anyone can verify this?

I've also seen MCH (and BRD) placed dead last with dps, but isn't this to be expected now they can move and shoot again? (Or can MCH even do this, I'm just assuming :s)

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ That's honestly what I thought, plus factoring in the damage they grant others through buffs.

If there was a way to show the exact damage increase (through raw numbers) that other jobs put out as a result of Mch/Brd's actions through a parse, we could add that damage back onto the Mch/Brd's total and get a more realistic figure of how they're doing. Mobility will always lead to a DPS increase on anything that isn't a stock dummy, so that has to be factored in as well.

None of this says anything about how jobs are feeling, mechanics or ability-wise. Any complaints that people have about how their job feels to play, in terms of bad skill design or clunky handling, is 100% justifiable.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    ...what? Standard MCH rotation in 3.x was always to set all buffs + HC before engaging.
    I hope you haven't been using Name's opener for the last 8 months Lel

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What are those acronyms at the beginning of those sequences?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think just tags for the creators but they're all similar, if you supercharge prepull you lose out on a charged turret shot and the rest of your group gets less benefit out of it

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Adjusted opener taking the above into account:

Hot Shot
    Quick Reload, Barrel Stabilizer
    Heated Split
    Hypercharge, (medicine)
    Heated Slug
    Reassemble, Wildfire
    Heated Clean
    Reload, Rapid Fire
    Heated Split
    Gauss Round
    Heated Slug
    Ricochet
    Heated Split
    Heated Clean
    (wildfire proc)
    Quick Reload
    Heated Slug
    (normal rotation from here)

---

I think I was able to answer my question from earlier about standalone Remove Barrel: it is useful if you want a full-ish Flamethrower without overheating. Speaking of Flamethrower, it seems like the tooltip for that move is unlike every other move in the game... it reads as "60 potency for 10 seconds" which, for every other DoT, would mean 60pot every 3s and a net of 180/240pot depending on server tick timing. However, FT clearly ticks every second (and cancels auto-attack on execution, so not that) and the ticks work out to right about 60pot, meaning that this move is actually 600pot over 10sec... or almost twice as much damage as Spread Shot spam. (But keep in mind that you can't weave any CDs and you don't get any AA, so in practice, not even close to twice as much.)

FT technically isn't a DoT, but the tooltip wording is very ambiguous.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ambiguous tooltips are quite common in Stormblood. DRK's blood gauge tooltips are equally confusing without actually using them.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm using an opener/WF rotation that's similar to Spider-Dan, with the thought process being to cram the most high potency attacks into the short WF duration. I hate that it's 10 seconds now, but here's what I'm using. My changes are in bold. Also starting with 3 ammo and 0 heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Hypercharge (this makes it so as soon as you land the Hot Shot, your turret hits and applies vuln immediately. If I hit HC later, then I sometimes find myself between the turret's attacks and my next ability doesn't get vuln)
    Hot Shot
    Quick Reload, Gauss Round
    Heated Split
    Barrel Stabilizer
    Heated Slug
    Optional: potion
    Heated Split

Rapid Fire, Wildfire
    Heated Clean
    Reload
    Heated Slug
    Ricochet
    Heated Split
    Reassemble
    Heated Clean
    Quick Reload**
    Heated Slug
    Gauss Round
    (wildfire proc)
    Heated Clean*, quarter second too slow
    The net result is almost the same, except instead of 2 split shots and 1 slug, I get 1 split shot and 2 slugs. Nominal difference. I do like how well it lines up again 60 seconds later though.

---

* = one thing about the burst that I'm struggling with is getting in the last heated clean. Depending on latency, this usually lands at almost the exact moment that WF pops, and that has got me wondering if there is a Skill Speed "tier" that one can hit which will allow us to sneak in the last clean shot before WF pops.

With my current gear I have 1088 SS, which puts me at a GCD of 2.39 outside of Rapid Fire. I threw on a bunch of stuff to get to 1606 SS, and that brought me down to 2.31 GCD. Assuming this varies linearly (it probably doesn't), then that's .0154 seconds off GCD per point of SS. In the rotation above, between activating WF and WF popping, I get 3 shots in with RF's 1.5s GCD, followed by two shots with my true GCD before WF pops. I figure if I can reduce the GCD of those last two shots by about a quarter of a second total, this might let me get in the last clean shot.

.25 seconds total is about .13 seconds per shot, since there are two shots. .13 seconds comes out to about 842 additional skill speed, or for me 1930 SS. The closest I can get with my current gear, materia and food is 1840. I still can't get the last clean shot in, but will keep trying as I find new gear/ilvl goes up. Note: ** = should my GCD come down enough, there's a possibility that I'll have to skip this QR, because SS doesn't reduce its cooldown and waiting on it would blow WF. This would mean gambling on getting clean shot to proc off the last slug. Haven't come up with a workaround yet.

TL;DR: It's possible there may be a SS tier around 2k total SS that lets you get an extra shot in on WF when latency is being good and the stars align.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

After today's changes, it seems like it might be worthwhile to use Rook Overload on cooldown, when not in Hypercharge.

On some boss fight in Fist of the Whatever, my turret was pulling about 240 dps with its regular volley fire over the course of the fight. Over the course of the 30 second lockout from Overload, that would equate to about 7200 damage. I used Overload a couple of times and had a regular hit for ~10k and a direct hit for ~15k. Since Overload and HC are both 120s cooldowns, it would make sense to use Overload immediately after HC has expired (on the turret) and then they'll line up again at your next HC.

Shame that it still doesn't contribute to WF damage though.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Overload is definitely a use-on-CD ability now.

I'm just trying to figure out a macro to use to autoplace Rook. My first thought was something like this:

/ac "Rook Autoturret" <5>
    /ac "Rook Autoturret" <3>

That would either place it on 2nd healer in 8-man, or error out on first line and place it on healer in 4-man.

But I'd still have to place my first Rook manually.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's cool--I didn't know you could do that to get around having to ground target them! I agree that the first one you'll still have to place manually in most situations. After that, wouldn't /ac "Rook Autoturret" <me> work? That way it'd be in range as long as you were in range, and you would always know where it's going to be dropped.

Totally gonna make a macro out of this now, thanks.

Edit: I like this:

/micon Rook Overdrive
    /ac Rook Overdrive <t>
    /ac Bishop Overdrive<me>
    /ac Rook Autoturret <me>

Blows up whatever turret you have out, or drops your rook on you if Overdrive is already on CD.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I thought about dropping it on me but I don't really want the rook invading my personal space.

If you like that macro, this one should be useful, too:

/ac "Bishop Autoturret" <t>
    /ac "Bishop Autoturret" <2>

Drops a bishop on your current target, or the tank if you have no target (i.e. you cancel target if you want it to drop on tank).

I do like your macro, though, as it will allow me to avoid adding an extra button. I think I'll go with something like:

/ac "Rook Overdrive" <t>
    /ac "Bishop Overdrive" <t>
    /ac "Rook Autoturret" <5>
    /ac "Rook Autoturret" <3>

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So apparently this is the optimized non-overheat 3 ammo opener for MCH:

(Infusion of Dexterity, 30s)
    Hot Shot
    Quick Reload, Barrel Stabilizer
    Heated Split
    Gauss Round, Hypercharge
    Heated Slug
    Flamethrower for 3 ticks (80 heat)
    Heated Split
    Reload, Wildfire
    Cooldown
    Reassemble, Rapid Fire
    Heated Clean
    Ricochet
    Heated Slug
    Heated Clean
    Quick Reload
    Heated Split
    Gauss Round
    Heated Slug
    (wildfire proc)
    Turret Overload
    (normal rotation from here)

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's interesting, using flamethrower to get a Coolown in during WF. I feel like that last Heated Slug won't land before WF pops though, since I haven't been able to get 6 shots into a WF window yet. So this opener consists of:

2x Clean
    1x Split
    1x Slug
    1x Coolown

Vs

2x Clean
    2x Slug
    1x Split

Cooldown and Slug both have the same potency with ammo (edit: couldn't read earlier). Plus it means you gotta use flamethrower for a few seconds. What do you think Spider-Dan?