FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Namco Bandai "promising" a lot more support for the Tales franchise

http://www.shacknews.com/article/705...ales-franchise

Namco Bandai's Tales of franchise is immensely popular in Japan, rivaling even the most final of fantasies. The latest release, Tales of Xillia, sold over 500,000 copies in its first month in Japan.

While the series enjoys the spotlight in Japan, things are quite different in America. Ever since the release of Tales of Vesperia on Xbox 360 in 2008, the series has been quiet, much to the chagrin of fans. Since then, Namco Bandai has skipped localization on the PS3 version of Vesperia, Tales of Hearts, Tales of Innocence, and Tales of Graces.

Tales of Graces F

The hiatus on the franchise will be lifted with the release of Tales of Graces F, a PS3-enhanced release of the original 2009 game. It will be the first original Tales game to hit US shores in more than three years. Also coming soon: Tales of the Abyss for 3DS, a port of the PS2 classic. These two releases are part of an initiative to revive the series in America, and make it a growing focus for Namco Bandai.

"There's going to be continued support for the Tales series that we've never had before," Namco Bandai associate brand manager Josh Sepielli told me. "We've taken a lot of steps as a company from the point we've released Vesperia to where we are now. There's a lot more coordination with Japan when we're getting these games, when we're getting information. We're going to start getting the timing closer together. We're very focused on being a lot more international."

Namco Bandai is taking a page from Square Enix's playbook. Final Fantasy XIII-2, for example, had localization begin during development. As a result, there's only a one month delay between the Japanese and English language release of the text and voice-heavy game.

"Moving forward, there's going to be a lot more support for the franchise," Sepielli reiterated to me when I asked him if Tales of Xillia is coming to the US. While it seems likely, given his enthusiasm for the franchise, there's still one issue that has the franchise's future still in doubt.

"The fan base is very hardcore; but at the same time, they don't make a very large audience," Sepielli admitted. "I'd be lying to you if I said if these games bomb, they're going to turn around and make Xillia."

Well shit, I haven't heard many good things about Graces, but Abyss on the 3DS is pretty awesome. I'll definitely be getting that. Ahh who am I kidding, I'll buy Graces too.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Well shit, I haven't heard many good things about Graces, but Abyss on the 3DS is pretty awesome. I'll definitely be getting that. Ahh who am I kidding, I'll buy Graces too.
    EU version got a date today... 25th of November. Nice to we finally get the damn game (PS2 version never came out here, lol) I guess.

As for this "news", really means fuck all. Series is seriously on the decline in my eyes and they still won't get as many sales as they hope for which (as they themselves said there) means they'll give up on localization once again. They're not promising anything.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So does that mean regardless of F sales that we WILL get Xillia translated?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

see it -> believe it

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Last Tales game I played was Legendia and that shit sucked donkey balls. Any game worth playing to get back into the series? I'm guessing Abyss.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    So does that mean regardless of F sales that we WILL get Xillia translated?
    Read the last line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Last Tales game I played was Legendia and that shit sucked donkey balls. Any game worth playing to get back into the series? I'm guessing Abyss.
    Pretty much any not Legendia... lol. Abyss (PS2), Symphonia (Gamecube), Vesperia (360) are all great, if you wanna go back further than that for a 2d one, Eternia for the PS1 (localized as Tales of Destiny II in the US) or PSP (has the proper title, Tales of Eternia for that).

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Tales of Innocence is also decent and has a surprisingly good fan translation. I don't think I'd recommend it above Symphonia or Eternia but it's certainly fun.

I also love Hearts but it's in moonspeak. and yes now Kiarax is going to get mad at me for playing Hearts in moonspeak but not Destiny 2.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

"Moving forward,
    Whelp, no ToV for me.....unless they decide to do a PSV port for some reason. ;/

Actually, on second though, I think I'd prefer that. A nice meaty RPG to play whenever I'm out and about.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I still hope for ToV too, but basically know it will never happen. =( (If I had more money, I would just buy a 360 for it, but at the moment that just seems silly.)

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I will never understand why they didn't localize Vesperia PS3... all the hard work was done! did it really sell that poorly on the 360?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dunno but I still need to buy it on 360 lol.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I will never understand why they didn't localize Vesperia PS3... all the hard work was done! did it really sell that poorly on the 360?
    Was some contract they had with Microsoft or something. Can't remember exact details but I'm pretty sure they just straight up can't release it in the west.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Maybe if they put a little bit of effort into advertising...........

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Was some contract they had with Microsoft or something. Can't remember exact details but I'm pretty sure they just straight up can't release it in the west.
    Microsoft bought Vesperia to be exclusive to 360. I guess they thought "oh this won't ever be multi so lets make it an exclusive"

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

fuck that. at least it makes sense though. here I thought Namco Bandai just wanted to fuck us silly gaijins over for the fun of it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I really hope they do go through with the plan, sucked seeing them shit out a new title every year and us not getting them. Vesperia was absolutely perfect, Graces f looks good but Xillia looks a millions times better seeing as the combat system wasn't based around a crippled gimicky remote. I just really want Xillia damnit.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. No, seriously. Just take it. I need a new Tales game. Also give us PS3 ToV you jerks.

But in all seriousness, it's nice to think that they might actually care a tiny bit about their western audience.

Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    Also give us PS3 ToV you jerks.
    Seriously.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Seriously.
    It's sad that they only talk about newer games and don't ever look back on shit we missed like PS2 Symphonia, PS3 Vesperia, RM2 and 3, ToP:NDX, etc
    They really need to work out deals with Nintendo and MS and just bring over ALL the untranslated Tales games, slowly of course... but they need to do it.

EDIT: I take that back, we don't need all the various versions of Phantasia, lol... minor differences between most of them til ToP:X which comes on the same UMD as NDX