FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Channing Tatum's Gambit (20XX)

As I posted yesterday that a Gambit film was being considered, now it has been confirmed that it's in the talking stages. Fox is interested.

Most Un-X-Men X-Man
    Building from the critical and financial success of X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine solo film, 20th Century Fox has placed an enormous amount of trust and financial backing in X-Men and X2 director Bryan Singer for the time-traveling shared universe kickoff X-Men: Days of Future Past. The film will bring back both the original X-Men cast (lead by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen) as well as the First Class team (lead by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender) while also attempting to sew-up plot holes and controversial filmmaking choices that plagued earlier installments (most notably Brett Ratner’s X-Men: The Last Stand) – in order to streamline the franchise in preparation for the recently announced X-Men: Apocalypse movie.

Days of Future Past is an ambitious project, and X-Fans will have to wait another month (from the time of this writing) to find out if Singer is able to make good on all of these goals – on top of delivering a smart and entertaining X-Men movie experience. Still, the filmmaker knows what’s at stake, already talking up characters he’d like to utilize in the Apocalypse movie – including everyone’s favorite Ragin’ Cajun, Gambit (along with Nightcrawler).

But who could play Remy Etienne LeBeau? In the build-up to Days of Future Past, X-Men series producer Lauren Shuler Donner mentioned the studio had met with Channing Tatum for the part – indicating, at the time, that she was eyeing the 22 Jump Street star for a solo Gambit movie. Now, following months of speculation about whether or not Shuler is actually ”dying to do a Gambit movie with Channing Tatum,” the actor has officially confirmed that he met with the film producer and “would love to do [a Gambit movie].”

Speaking with MTV, here’s the full quote from Tatum:

I met with Lauren Shuler Donner. And I would love it. Gambit is really the only X-Man I’ve ever loved. I mean I’ve loved them all, they’re all great, but I guess from being down south – my dad’s from Louisiana, I’m from Mississippi, Alabama, Florida – I don’t know. I just related to him. He’s just kind of suave… He’s the most un X-Men X-Man that’s ever been in X-Men. Other than maybe Wolverine, who’s like the anti-hero. He’s a thief. He’s not even a hero. He’s kind of walking the line of grey. He loves women and drinking and smoking and stuff so he’s just a cool guy who happens to have a moral center. I hope it [comes together]. You never know it’s a weird industry. If the stars align, I would die to play it. I’m already working on the accent. It’s crappy at the moment.
    If the “stars align” and Tatum is given the part, he’d be replacing Friday Night Lights star Taylor Kitsch. Despite a respectful turn in Peter Berg’s Lone Survivor, Kitsch has been the victim of one box office bomb after another – starting with his turn as Gambit in the derided X-Men Origins Wolverine solo movie.

Still with Shuler talking up solo films for everyone from Gambit to Mystique (if Jennifer Lawrence was willing to continue in the role), it’d be naive to think that any of the producer’s recent wish list projects will be announced any time soon. While a Gambit (or Mystique) movie would be fun to see and, inherently, include solid potential, 20th Century Fox has yet to see knockdown blockbuster returns from any of their previous X-Men series films – and, before tie-in projects can be taken seriously, the studio needs to ensure a successful launch for Days of Future Past.

Most entries in the series earn-back solid profits (especially after merchandising) but the franchise is not the ticket selling powerhouse some fans might think (or hope). Currently the combined worldwide box office of the six X-Men movies is $2.3 billion – whereas the four installments in Sony’s Spider-Man franchise have, collectively, raised 3.2 billion at the global box office. As a result, until the studio receives stronger returns from the core film series, it’s highly unlikely that any new solo characters will be launched – especially one that wasn’t included in any of the successful team-up movies. If Fox is going to start a new solo series to accompany Wolverine and the X-Men, Deadpool is the most likely candidate – especially given his ties to X-Force (a shared universe movie that is actually in development and more than casual producer name dropping).

That said, with the news that Singer wants Gambit in X-Men: Apocalypse, it’s probable that Tatum is a frontrunner for the role – even if Shuler’s interest in a solo film is farther down the line. Unfortunately, the actor only confirms prior talks and did not elaborate on when the conversations took place. For that reason, the current state of his potential involvement is unclear – since his meeting with Shuler might have been months back, long before Singer began laying out a plan for Apocalypse, or relatively recent (meaning that Tatum could even be in active/on-going talks for the project).

Upon the original revelation that Tatum had met with 20th Century Fox for a Gambit role, fans were mixed about whether or not the actor could actually deliver a satisfying version of the character – with many skeptics pointing to Tatum’s extremely buff physique as a drawback. That said, the actor has earned a lot of goodwill the past few years with enjoyable performances in a number of successful films (especially 21 Jump Street) – even flexing solid dramatic chops in Magic Mike and Side Effects. In spite of fan outrage, Tatum is an understandable choice for the studio – given that he’s an increasingly well-known, and likable, leading man that casual moviegoers turn out to see.
    http://screenrant.com/channing-tatum...en-movie-role/
    http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/103...g-trails.jhtml

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

NO

Much as I love Gambit, he's not really leading man material. And he is most certainly not Channing Tatum. Only way a Gambit movie works is if it's a heist flick, which they'll never go for.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Though, that would be fucking incredible.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

There are plenty of everyone wolverine/gambit stories, but who are we kidding, it's Fox. Hope they make them with a huge budget, crash and burn, get discouraged, and rights revert to Marvel. Closest opportunity we gonna get.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Gonna say no unless he can do a Cajun accent.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Gambit is the McRib of the Marvel U. Everyone wants him when they can't, the second they get a taste of him they realize he sucks.

Trigun

Give me...
    Nolan writing/directing
    GamPitt
    Angelina Jolie with a southern accent for Rogue
    edit:
    Also he has to rescue Jubilee for some reason in the movie.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

At least the cajun ain't being played by a fucking canadian.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    Much as I love Gambit, he's not really leading man material. And he is most certainly not Channing Tatum. Only way a Gambit movie works is if it's a heist flick, which they'll never go for.
    Or one where he refuses to father children.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

don't see why they wouldn't use john carter like they did the 1st time, he's a better actor than 21 jump street

because he was a terrible gambit?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    don't see why they wouldn't use john carter like they did the 1st time, he's a better actor than 21 jump street
    After a string of failures that guy delivered I'm pretty sure he's homeless

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    And crazy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...why-his-694701

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    because he was a terrible gambit?
    who the fuck would be a good gambit in that budget range that movie is going to have dipshit? jonny depp ain't gonna be in their price range

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    never even seen the guy in anything except those 2 movies

edit: damn I just looked he was in lone survivor and savages, loved both those movies

ur rite the paycheck is what made him lose the most defining trait the character had as well as turning in a shit performance

Personally, I've seen Gambit drawn in so many different ways I'm not sure which one they'd follow.

Sure thing is, here's one solid casting option:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images...ayLOST-LOL.jpg

Trigun

Forgot about that guy. Last time I saw him was the paintball episode on Community.
    He would be good.

E. Body
    BG Level

He's on a show called Intelligence. It's like Chuck, but w/o the funny. So needless to say, it's not a good show....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast