+ Reply to Thread

Need tech support in a big way

So I leave my laptop on when I go off to visit the family, come back ~2 Hours later and my Laptop's Switched off.

I try to start it up, it gets as far as the Windows Loading screen then shuts itself off. Every time.

If I try to boot from a Disc it just keeps restarting.

Closest I got to a hardware error was a message saying thre was inssuficient Virtual File Memory, then it shut down a split second later.

I use the system for gaming but more importantly all my Uni work is on it. Anyone have any reccomendations?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

How big is your HD and how close is it to being filled? That problem can pop up when your HD reaches close to full capacity, can also mean that your swap/page file is too small and needs to be enlarged, however you cant do this without even being able to start up the computer.

Another problem could be that your RAM is bleh, how much of it do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    How big is your HD and how close is it to being filled? That problem can pop up when your HD reaches close to full capacity, can also mean that your swap/page file is too small and needs to be enlarged, however you cant do this without even being able to start up the computer.

HDD is 100 Gig, not even Half of it Used, 1024 Meg RAM

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute

Uhhh, I dunno without having to actually look it up myself then.. Check your battery, see if its not screwing up something. Can you get into Windows set up? try repairing it or rolling back to a different system state.

Uhhh, I dunno without having to actually look it up myself then.. Check your battery, see if its not screwing up something. Can you get into Windows set up? try repairing it or rolling back to a different system state.
    Thing is if I use a windows install disc to try a re-install, repair etc, the system crashes before I an make a selection.

Tried "last known good configuration", Safe Mode, all of it and it's the same shit over and over again.

Driving me mad.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

i had this same problem occur when i dropped my laptop

my brother took it to work and fixed it, i dont know how, but it was whiped and now it works again

Got a friend who reckons it's either bad sectors on my HDD or my Ram is fucked.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Got a friend who reckons it's either bad sectors on my HDD or my Ram is fucked.
    Those are really my only guesses as well..

Try some new RAM and if that failes, go to your local comp supply store, grab a laptop to PC HD cable (like 5$) so you can put your HD in a PC, grab your data off of it and reformat.

Fucking typical.

The ONE time I don't bring my Recovery CD's or FFXI install discs.

EDIT:

Fucking Ace! Did the old-school "Blow on the contacts" maint. on the Ram and it seems to have done the trick!