Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Interview with the Task Force - 30/11

Interestingly this is on the EU Playonline site, but not as yet the US Playonline site.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/index.shtml

Leads to:

http://ffxi.onlinewelten.com/articles,id281,2,q.html

Special Task Force Q&A – GameInside (Japanese Premier Site)

Q) How big is the Special Task Force?

A) We cannot at this moment disclose the exact number of staff, but the Operation team is independent, full-time and separate from the GM team and the Information Centre.

Q) Regarding the methods you use and the areas you cover, are there any fundamental differences when it come to the way you deal with RMT or third party tools users?

A) There are no fundamental differences when it comes to action regarding infraction of the terms of agreement. The Special Task Force cannot close any accounts due to activities outside of the game. However, we have at our disposal several new means to investigate and collect evidence to prove a user’s involvement with RMT. Please forgive me for not disclosing the concrete measures that the team takes, as this would have a negative impact on the work we perform.

Q) With regards to RMT -your main responsibility- it has been said that you would investigate trade of this nature and penalise all parties involved with such activities. What sort of penalties would you consider?

A) Appropriate penalties would be enforced. This could range from a warning to the actual closing of an account. The team would react appropriately to the seriousness of an infringement. The team would also take into consideration a user’s previous record. As for the structure of the penalties, please refer to the GM policy which will soon be made publicly available.

Q) You have previously referred to “users of mass/continuous RMT”. However, one could expect first-time participants to develop an addictive attitude in regards to this problem. What is your position regarding this? For example, if you systematically warn users who participate in RMT, even if this is an apparently insignificant trade, you might be able to tackle the problem at an early stage and thus significantly decrease the number of traders.

A) This statement only refers to a specific target. We regularly review the effects of our investigations and take into account the resulting responses. We modify the breadth/scope of our work accordingly. We have considered the possibility of issuing warnings to the sort of users which you mention. However, if we targeted such users, we would end up having too many cases for us to handle realistically. We are therefore continuing to make an effort to improve the scope and accuracy of our investigations.

Q) I believe that there are a small number of users who sell gil to RMT traders. I would imagine that such cases would be extremely hard to investigate. Do such users fall within the scope of your investigations?

A) Indeed they do. We have come across quite a few of these cases, from the individual level to organised groups of traders. When one looks at this issue, one realises that these types of trade often have a direct impact on gameplay for other users (for example, some specific areas where a unique monster appears can end up being quasi monopolised). This has become a serious concern within the Final Fantasy XI community. Therefore, as a swift response is required, we are considering the possibility of cooperating with the GM team

Q) There seems to be positive results following the banning of accounts en masse. On the other hand, it is likely that traders are beginning to form large and organised groups. For example, one sometimes sees a spawn area, a battlefield or another similar type of location with numerous PCs having almost identical names, all walking in line. Who will supervise such users in the future? Will it be the Special Task Force instead of the GM team?

A) We are hoping to deal with these cases by teaming up the Special Task Force with the GM team as well as the Account-Admin team. We are currently elaborating a number of factors required to undertake various activities, so that in the not too distant future, players will actually see some results.

Whereas the Special Task Force is efficient at banning multiple accounts by accumulating information drawn from various sources (such as logs), the GM team has more manoeuvrability as well as being able to operate 24 hours a day. We are hoping to merge the strengths of both teams in order to yield the highest results.

We will, however, never exclude any user without an adequate and well-founded reason, that is to say they won’t be excluded because they are reported as sharing the same name or not speaking the same language as the informer. The only thing that concerns us is a user’s breach of the terms of agreement. This is the only way to ensure that false accusations have no consequences.

Q) At the moment, it is said that dealing with traders in a legal framework is fairly difficult. Bearing this in mind, how are you hoping to reach traders based abroad?

A) No matter where RMT websites may be located geographically, it would be impossible for them to operate without a connection to the virtual world of Final Fantasy XI. As previously stated, we always need proof of a breach of the terms of agreement as grounds for any action taken. Therefore, it is unimportant to us as to where such sites are being operated from.

Q) There is a rumour that in some cases you may ask players to provide information about other players breaking the rules. Will you use any other methods aside from the ones, such as GM calls, currently notified in the game?

A) To take an example, the Special Task Force is already gathering substantial information about RMT sites, and, to confirm this information, we may need to ask users to confirm certain cases.

The GM call line would collapse if absolutely all issues related to breaches of agreement terms were reported through it. We are therefore hoping to set up a mail form which will permit users to extensively report or give details about cases during specific periods. We expect to disclose specific criteria when we initiate a programme of investigation.

Q) I understand that gil currently held by RMT users and traders will be confiscated. However, what will happen to gil purchased in RMT that have already been spent –that is to say traded in Auction Houses or exchanged in any other way?

A) This may seem unusual, but gil purchased via RMT has not necessarily been obtained through an unfair process. We are therefore not considering the confiscation of gil which has been handed over to a third party or circulated on the market if the origin of these exists within the framework of the game.

This has no consequence to the fact that RMT is banned, and anyone who has been a confirmed participator in RMT will be penalised. However, this is a separate issue when one considers where gil originates from.

It has been confirmed that gil has been created unjustly through cheating, duplication and other means. In these cases, gil does not exist within the framework of the game and therefore should not be present: we pursue users who are in possession of these and confiscate them. This is something which we have always done and which we’ll continue to do.

* We would like to hear your comments and questions from our European Community too!

Q) At the moment, it is said that dealing with traders in a legal framework is fairly difficult. Bearing this in mind, how are you hoping to reach traders based abroad?

A) No matter where RMT websites may be located geographically, it would be impossible for them to operate without a connection to the virtual world of Final Fantasy XI. As previously stated, we always need proof of a breach of the terms of agreement as grounds for any action taken. Therefore, it is unimportant to us as to where such sites are being operated from.
    @_@

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Re: Interview with the Task Force - 30/11

Hope they can speed up!

Shardiru

This may seem unusual, but gil purchased via RMT has not necessarily been obtained through an unfair process.
    Unusual is an understatement. From this statement alone it seems like they are completely focused on actual exploits instead of NM monopolies and crafting monopolies where their current attention should be focused upon.

Unless there's some new exploit out there that I have yet to hear about. Gil originated from those is minimal at best, if not completely non-existant. I would like to point out that I am excluding fishbots and craftbots from my definition of exploits.

On another note, I was able to see Amamet up and walking around unclaimed today. But I guess I should also include the fact that Guivre was also up. I had seen a couple gilsellers in there an hour previously before Guivre had popped. And on my way back to Rabao, I saw them heading back towards Kuftal. I say SE puts in a "Guivre" by all money NMs so that it requires more resources for RMT to get those money drops.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Where's my friking BLM update damn it. >_<

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shardiru
    Unusual is an understatement. From this statement alone it seems like they are completely focused on actual exploits instead of NM monopolies and crafting monopolies where their current attention should be focused upon.
    Actually, it seems to me like they're saying that removing gil from circulation simply because it has cycled through RMTs who monopolize NMs and crafting is not a realistic option, which it clearly isn't. Remove the gil that comes from exploits, sure, but if you try to remove gil simply because it crossed an RMT's hands, the economy will be ruined.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If they can't get rid of groups like those who show up in Behemoth's Dominion and in The Shrine, then what the fuck is the point? They're the ones who by far impact in the most severe way possible people trying to get shit done in the game. Nickel and dime RMT is annoying, but they're inconsequential compared to the rest. If they're unable to do anything about those in particular, they're nothing but a massive fail.

And Spooky, I hope they nerf BLM out of spite just because you're posting about it in every freakin' thread.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    If they can't get rid of groups like those who show up in Behemoth's Dominion and in The Shrine, then what the fuck is the point? They're the ones who by far impact in the most severe way possible people trying to get shit done in the game. Nickel and dime RMT is annoying, but they're inconsequential compared to the rest. If they're unable to do anything about those in particular, they're nothing but a massive fail.

And Spooky, I hope they nerf BLM out of spite just because you're posting about it in every freakin' thread.
    For a "massive fail" they sure are doing one hell of a job at failing it looking at the trend of gil value in the economy over the past few months.

Yeah those RMT cockblocking sky and every NM are more than annoying and seem to survive through the banstick, but obviously the ingame economy is getting somewhat better even with their existence still rampant.

Maybe they're not quite as damaging as most people make them out to be?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong
    Yeah those RMT cockblocking sky and every NM are more than annoying and seem to survive through the banstick, but obviously the ingame economy is getting somewhat better even with their existence still rampant.

Perhaps they're not so damaging for the economy, but they sure are damaging the gaming experience.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The economy isn't any better. All they've done is remove gil that was to be sold for real money. It's effectively lowered everything pretty much evenly. So now instead of a SH costing 8M gil, it costs 2M gil. But that crap you farm up or drops you get are lower in value too, so it takes just as long to get the items you want as it did before they nuked the banks. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great they're fucking over RMT by removing their commodities, but that hasn't helped our LS get any more Autumnstones.

Maybe if they nail down a process where any gil those farmers amass is nuked before it can be delivered will result in farmers giving up, or continually nuking RMT banks who deliver to customers before the delivery can be made will result in gil costing so much RL currency that people stop buying the shit and IGE pisses the hell off, which in turn will cause so little demand for gil that RMT farmers also piss the hell off. But they're going to have to keep zapping them over and over until they give up and GTFO. So far it hasn't had that kind of impact. If and when it does I'll give them a standing ovation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

For a "massive fail" they sure are doing one hell of a job at failing it looking at the trend of gil value in the economy over the past few months.

Who really cares about the in game economy? Prices were sky high a year ago but when I got the split from my KS99 orb, it was 20 millioin for one orb. Who cares? They could remove gil from the game and I wouldn't care, what I and most other end game people seek is rare/ex.

Black Belt
    BG Level

I'm in no way praising them on the job well done as far as the whole problem is concerned, but to say that they completely failed in their attempts isn't exactly fair, since the actual changes in the state of economy is more than noticeable.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

in the time wasted to do that interview, rmt could have been removed completely.

kbye

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

idiot

Ontopic:

I got faith in this special force!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/417/lolrmtse4.png

uggalepih + no rmt = win, special forces gogogo

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Where's my friking BLM update damn it. >_<
    Need to have everyone going lolDRG^h^h^hBLM for a few years first.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Simply put SE you will get my money on a more regular basis if you make it so I don't have to fight with 50 'CI NAO BBBBMAMAMAMAMMAMA"s everytime I want a shot at tiger pants. Note that the fucking tele claim Ulli a good couple seconds before he spawns.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

how come no ones told this task force that ppl who shout every 5 seconds wanting to sell sky abjus should be IMMEDIATELY put on the "WATCH VERY VERY VERY FUCKING CLOSELY" list ?? No legitimate players sell W.Legs or Byakko's Haidate.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I don't care what some interview says or what SE reports about rmt until i log onto ffxi and check the shrine and see no rmt up there past 72hrs.

Look at the task force like its a business. They have a todo list, and will fix one aspect before moving on to another. I am pretty sure that this task force would be unable to fix every aspect of rmt in the game at once. SE made jobs for this task force, and its full time jobs. Meaning that yes right now they are not going on witch hunts, but will get to that when their current todo list diminishes. Its the same in almost all jobs that have lists of goals to do.