+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What you should wear to work

It's hiring season, so lots of interviews and people starting new jobs. Plus, some of you just need the fashion advice. For reals. Let me preface by saying that if you've got your own style and flair, this isn't for you. But if you're the kind of dude who is clueless about that sort of thing (most guys, I imagine), hopefully this will help.

Basic advice-

Smaller is better. There was a time when big, baggy clothes were in style. It was a long time ago. The XL sweater and wide-leg khaki look is generally considered out of style at best, or juvenille at worst. You need to buy clothes that fit. Most stores have websites with fit guides, like this one for Gap/Banana Republic Apparel, Handbags, Shoes and Accessories for Women and Men | Banana Republic. Notice that the sizes correspond to measurements (chest, waist, neck, etc). Measure yourself, or even better get help at a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom. You'd be amazed how much better you look with clothes that are the right size for you.

Throw away your tube socks. DO NOT, EVER, wear white, athletic socks with anything other than athletic shoes. The color of your socks should go with the color of your pants. If you're wearing khaki pants, get khaki socks. If you're wearing black pants, always wear black socks. If you're wearing grey pants, you can pull off black or grey socks. Don't clash. And again, don't wear gym socks with dress shoes.

Your tie can make you look great, or make you look terrible. The bottom of your tie should line up with the middle of your belt buckle. No exceptions. Modern ties are slightly more narrow than ties from say, five years ago. But the difference is subtle, and probably not noticeable to most. When choosing a color or pattern, think about what shirts you will wear it with. If you are going for a conservative look, get yourself some solid color white and blue shirts, and get some red or blue ties, not necessarily solid color but nothing too fancy. If you want to dress it up a bit, go for stripes or patterns, but try to make the ties and shirts have at least one color that matches. For example, if the shirt is blue and white pinstripes, look for a tie that has at least some blue color similar to the shirt. Getting good at matching ties to shirts takes practice. I recommend you start with the basics, then experiment as you get more comfortable.

Belt + shoes = match. Brown shoes for when you're wearing a brown belt. Black shoes for when you're wearing a black belt. No exceptions. If your dress shoes aren't brown or black, you're doing it wrong.

Steal someone's look. Sounds gay, but it isn't. Find a guy who looks sharp, and see how he pulls it off. It helps if the guy is a similar build, skin tone, size as you. Don't end up wearing the same thing as him every day, but don't be afraid to copy what looks good. Women do it all the time.

Take a (nice) girl/boy shopping with you. This is important. Don't take that girl/boy you call at 2am when you're drunk with you. Don't take that girl/boy who has never had a job in her life. Don't take a girl/boy who is five years younger than you. But do take a woman/man who does pay attention to what respectable men wear. Maybe she/he has a job at a law firm, or she's/he's getting her/his degree in business. If she/he thinks you look good in your new wardrobe, other nice girls/boys will, too. This is a good thing.

Advanced advice-

No wrinkles. Lots of places make wrinkle-free shirts these days. They are a godsend. Do not be wrinkled shirt guy. Either get wrinkle-free, learn to iron, or shell out money for dry cleaning. But be aware that repeated dry-cleaning will ruin your shirts over time. Just make sure you don't spend $80 on a new dress shirt, only to have it look like you just pulled it out of your hamper.

Consider having your clothes tailored. A lot of guys have trouble finding clothes that fit off the rack. I'm tall and thin, so mediums tend to be too short, whereas larges tend to be gigantic. I often buy large shirts and have them altered to fit me. It can be a bit of a hassle, but they look great. Find a dry cleaners that does alterations (most do), and bring them a shirt you want to fit you better. The most common thing to have altered is the girth- American dress shirts are made for fat dudes, so they have a ton of fabric around the middle. If you get this altered, it will fit more smoothly and will stay tucked in. It will also prevent your shirt from getting all baggy around the waist, which makes you look like a kid wearing his dad's dress clothes.

It's better to be overdressed than underdressed. These are words to live by. Consider the consequences. Yes, you probably look a bit stiff if you show up wearing a suit when everyone else is jeans. But you look like a clown if you're wearing jeans and everyone else is in a suit.

Personal tip-

Boxer briefs. Your novelty boxers were cute when you were 17. They're ridiculous at 25. Sleep in whatever you want. But when he/she invites you back to his/her place, do you really want to be wearing funny underpants?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutely Virtue View Post
    It's hiring season, so lots of interviews and people starting new jobs. Plus, some of you just need the fashion advice. For reals. Let me preface by saying that if you've got your own style and flair, this isn't for you. But if you're the kind of dude who is clueless about that sort of thing (most guys, I imagine), hopefully this will help.

Basic advice-

Smaller is better. There was a time when big, baggy clothes were in style. It was a long time ago. The XL sweater and wide-leg khaki look is generally considered out of style at best, or juvenille at worst. You need to buy clothes that fit. Most stores have websites with fit guides, like this one for Gap/Banana Republic Apparel, Handbags, Shoes and Accessories for Women and Men | Banana Republic. Notice that the sizes correspond to measurements (chest, waist, neck, etc). Measure yourself, or even better get help at a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom. You'd be amazed how much better you look with clothes that are the right size for you.

Throw away your tube socks. DO NOT, EVER, wear white, athletic socks with anything other than athletic shoes. The color of your socks should go with the color of your pants. If you're wearing khaki pants, get khaki socks. If you're wearing black pants, always wear black socks. If you're wearing grey pants, you can pull off black or grey socks. Don't clash. And again, don't wear gym socks with dress shoes.

Your tie can make you look great, or make you look terrible. The bottom of your tie should line up with the middle of your belt buckle. No exceptions. Modern ties are slightly more narrow than ties from say, five years ago. But the difference is subtle, and probably not noticeable to most. When choosing a color or pattern, think about what shirts you will wear it with. If you are going for a conservative look, get yourself some solid color white and blue shirts, and get some red or blue ties, not necessarily solid color but nothing too fancy. If you want to dress it up a bit, go for stripes or patterns, but try to make the ties and shirts have at least one color that matches. For example, if the shirt is blue and white pinstripes, look for a tie that has at least some blue color similar to the shirt. Getting good at matching ties to shirts takes practice. I recommend you start with the basics, then experiment as you get more comfortable.

Belt + shoes = match. Brown shoes for when you're wearing a brown belt. Black shoes for when you're wearing a black belt. No exceptions. If your dress shoes aren't brown or black, you're doing it wrong.

Steal someone's look. Sounds gay, but it isn't. Find a guy who looks sharp, and see how he pulls it off. It helps if the guy is a similar build, skin tone, size as you. Don't end up wearing the same thing as him every day, but don't be afraid to copy what looks good. Women do it all the time.

Take a (nice) girl/boy shopping with you. This is important. Don't take that girl/boy you call at 2am when you're drunk with you. Don't take that girl/boy who has never had a job in her life. Don't take a girl/boy who is five years younger than you. But do take a woman/man who does pay attention to what respectable men wear. Maybe she/he has a job at a law firm, or she's/he's getting her/his degree in business. If she/he thinks you look good in your new wardrobe, other nice girls/boys will, too. This is a good thing.

Advanced advice-

No wrinkles. Lots of places make wrinkle-free shirts these days. They are a godsend. Do not be wrinkled shirt guy. Either get wrinkle-free, learn to iron, or shell out money for dry cleaning. But be aware that repeated dry-cleaning will ruin your shirts over time. Just make sure you don't spend $80 on a new dress shirt, only to have it look like you just pulled it out of your hamper.

Consider having your clothes tailored. A lot of guys have trouble finding clothes that fit off the rack. I'm tall and thin, so mediums tend to be too short, whereas larges tend to be gigantic. I often buy large shirts and have them altered to fit me. It can be a bit of a hassle, but they look great. Find a dry cleaners that does alterations (most do), and bring them a shirt you want to fit you better. The most common thing to have altered is the girth- American dress shirts are made for fat dudes, so they have a ton of fabric around the middle. If you get this altered, it will fit more smoothly and will stay tucked in. It will also prevent your shirt from getting all baggy around the waist, which makes you look like a kid wearing his dad's dress clothes.

It's better to be overdressed than underdressed. These are words to live by. Consider the consequences. Yes, you probably look a bit stiff if you show up wearing a suit when everyone else is jeans. But you look like a clown if you're wearing jeans and everyone else is in a suit.

Personal tip-

Boxer briefs. Your novelty boxers were cute when you were 17. They're ridiculous at 25. Sleep in whatever you want. But when he/she invites you back to his/her place, do you really want to be wearing funny underpants?
    Tell this to my coworkers. Pisses me the fuck off when they have their black belt with brown shoes. Or the guys that come in with ankle socks and slacks. Another topic to discuss is pant leg length do's and dont's. I usually tailor mine to just rest on my shoes. Too much slack looks silly and nobody likes a guy who wears high waters.

The bolded part is gold. I haven't worn boxers in 10 or so years. They have the comfort of boxers with the support of underwear.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Guys dress the way the do, because for some strange reason girls like the look. So when you see the guy with baggy pants pulled down to his thighs, its because at some point a girl thought this was hot, and the guy got some booty. Guys will dress like fucking morons to attract a girl.

Gay guys dont have this problem, because Gay guys dress nice, so they attract other gays by dressing nice.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Guys dress the way the do, because for some strange reason girls like the look. So when you see the guy with baggy pants pulled down to his thighs, its because at some point a girl thought this was hot, and the guy got some booty. Guys will dress like fucking morons to attract a girl.
    Agreed. But what guys need to realize is that you definitely don't want anything to do with the girl who likes this look in 2009. I mean, there are women out there who think mullets look good, too.

Heh, I break so many of these rules at the work place.

Right now I'm wearing a plain dark blue t-shirt with jeans, white socks, and leather slip on shoes by Doc Martin.

I'm a software engineer, so I like to be comfy.

I promised myself I would start dressing like the OP once I turn 30...and that won't happen for another 6 months.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah I am sitting here going hmm. I break almost every rule. I am a technical artist, I work in a cube, no one wears ties or anything like that at my work and everyone basically wears the same clothes at work that they do at home.

Plus I like my goofy boxers... my wife bought them for me.

What about brown belt with black shoes? combined with black pants or khaki? I don't see the big deal on that 3 item combo, regardless of shirt/tie.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MrW View Post
    Tell this to my coworkers. Pisses me the fuck off when they have their black belt with brown shoes. Or the guys that come in with ankle socks and slacks. Another topic to discuss is pant leg length do's and dont's. I usually tailor mine to just rest on my shoes. Too much slack looks silly and nobody likes a guy who wears high waters.

The bolded part is gold. I haven't worn boxers in 10 or so years. They have the comfort of boxers with the support of underwear.
    Or the white socks with the black suit. /rage

Yes. Belt must match shoes, end of discussion. Some people don't consult their friends and family about how to dress properly.

The dress code varies from company to company, so it is also safe to just ask around or observe. If expecting to interact with clients, dress up more.

Big company (business casual): First day, suit and tie. Tie rest of the week (if it's my first time working with the company.) Second week, business casual. If the company does casual Fridays, then do it, too.

Tide stain remover marker anyone? Lint roller, etc. always keep in the car.

That's good advice about the tailoring. I'm 6'2" and skinny and shirts look ridiculous on me because they're are baggy around the waist. And they come untucked.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchingllama View Post
    What about brown belt with black shoes? combined with black pants or khaki? I don't see the big deal on that 3 item combo, regardless of shirt/tie.
    black belt, black shoes
    brown belt, brown shoes

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco View Post
    That's good advice about the tailoring. I'm 6'2" and skinny and shirts look ridiculous on me because they're are baggy around the waist. And they come untucked.
    This has always been a major issue for me as well. I am not quite as tall as you only 6' but I am long in the torso which means either a shirt fits me around the chest and is too short or its the correct length but way too baggy.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post

Gay guys dont have this problem, because Gay guys dress nice, so they attract other gays by dressing nice.
    . . . . .

So you are gay if you dress nice?

Having good hygiene is anything but gay.

Since I’m a nerd, I don’t have any game or experience in this.

But seriously, when two guys walk into a club, one dressed with baggy pants and another in a clean suit, will the girls really go after the baggy pants dude? Isn’t that a little high school-ish?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Let me qualify this, because I'm sure I sound like a douche. I work at a think tank, so it's a pretty casual environment (think literature department at college). Right now I'm wearing jeans, a button down blue shirt (tailored and wrinkle-free, lolz), and a pair of Chuck Taylor's. But I'm 34, and I've worked in a lot of different work environments.

Added bonus- I work for government clients. You think you know fashion victims, wait until you meet bureaucrats.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Something I have seen with people that dress very well is that the shade of their ties contrast the suit, but the tie usually is lighter. Don't know if that came out right :\

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutely Virtue View Post
    Let me qualify this, because I'm sure I sound like a douche. I work at a think tank, so it's a pretty casual environment (think literature department at college). Right now I'm wearing jeans, a button down blue shirt (tailored and wrinkle-free, lolz), and a pair of Chuck Taylor's. But I'm 34, and I've worked in a lot of different work environments.

Added bonus- I work for government clients. You think you know fashion victims, wait until you meet bureaucrats.
    And casual works for that work environment, so nothing very wrong with that. Your attire should look presentable to the people you're gonna be working with

Edit: If I walk into a gov't office, I normally expect to see people dressed in business casual at least. Same for a bank, but I see them with ties and managers in suits

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Blue jeans, express mx shirt, and athletic shoes for me today. I've had to wear athletic shoes because of some nagging achilles issues for the past 6 weeks. I wear anything from dress shirts w/ ties and nice khakis to athletic shorts w/ a tech tee to work depending on if I have meetings/consults scheduled or if I'm in the office on that particular day.

So not matching the color of the accessory to the footwear is a fashion no-no for what reason exactly? I've never understood that. Black shoes, black pants, black belt, ok, I get it, it looks good, but really, why does a stripe of brown at the waist turn that in to a fashion faux pas? Shoes brown, pants black, belt brown, same thing, don't get it, it's like getting wrapped up in the order of racing stripes on a car, ok maybe not.

*Edit: I am currently wearing black shoes/socks/belt, dark blue business shirt/tie that doesn't quite match the shirt and black pants with white pinstripes, working for a gov't contractor. /fail

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Kazuko View Post
    . . . . .

So you are gay if you dress nice?

Having good hygiene is anything but gay.

Since I’m a nerd, I don’t have any game or experience in this.

But seriously, when two guys walk into a club, one dressed with baggy pants and another in a clean suit, will the girls really go after the baggy pants dude? Isn’t that a little high school-ish?
    Nope, that isnt what I'm saying. I was saying Gay guys dont really dress like retrards.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm one of the most casual dressing guys you'll ever meet, but I ALWAYS match my belt color to my shoe color.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dont shave for interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast